Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,142 times

Advertisements

1. If your husband/ wife/ significant other is a social addict and your an introvert would it work? (Opposites attract)
2. Is it normal to want for one best friend..and that being your significant other?
3. Am I the only person that wants to get rid of smartphones (except the cool apps and games) and enjoy one persons company?
4. Does everyone need outside relations?
5. How will my “soulmate” ever meet such an introvert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobbyjr View Post
1. If your husband/ wife/ significant other is a social addict and your an introvert would it work? (Opposites attract)
2. Is it normal to want for one best friend..and that being your significant other?
3. Am I the only person that wants to get rid of smartphones (except the cool apps and games) and enjoy one persons company?
1. Depends. "Social addict" doesn't sound promising, but you can pair with someone who is a bit more social than you if s/he is accepting that this is the way you are and doesn't try to make you different (in which case you have more problems than just the social thing, you have a person who wants you to be somebody different) and if s/he can find social outlets of his or her own that don't come between you.
2. It might be normal FOR YOU.
3. I doubt you are the only person like this. The warning light I see is to ask yourself if you would become possessive of that person's attentions. S/he might be that for you, but maybe you can't be that for him/her.
4. Apparently not. Most people do need something. Even my very introverted father (married to my very social mother) got some social interaction with his VFW buddies once a month at the meetings.
5. On a message board/Internet forum.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Yes, it can work, although it would be a challenge. Introverts aren't incapable of communicating, and you'll be fine as long as you can communicate with your spouse about your feelings and expectations about social situations.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it's normal. As long as the two of you are ok with it ...

Quote:
I doubt it, but smart phones and "enjoying one person's company" are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
I think so. What the heck do you mean by "outside relations"?

Quote:
I don't believe in soulmates. Your goal is to find someone who can tolerate your quirks as well as you tolerate theirs.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:21 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,157,571 times
Of course not. Introverts can be very social as well. I'm a very outgoing introvert. The majority of my career has been in sales and fundraising. I think you may have a very common misunderstanding of what an introvert is. It does not mean socially inept, shy, etc.

I know a couple who have been together for 20 years; she is a major introvert and he is very extroverted. It works for them!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:53 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,667,872 times
I'm an introvert. But, you would never guess it if you met me. I'm very outgoing in social settings. But, occasionally I need time to duck out and "hide". I rarely close a place down. I'll go for an appearance, then I'll leave. A lot of times w/o announcing I'm doing so. I'm attracted to extroverts to an extent. But, not the bouncing off the walls kind. I do believe in soul mates. You have to be willing to put yourself out there to a degree so your mate can find you.
Smart phones? Meh, I can take em or leave em. Mines rarely rings anyway. And, I don't do friends as I prefer my own company over that of others.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,354,268 times
Introvert here and if I go somewhere I am very social but then need to leave and go home for downtime.

I was in a relationship with an extrovert for 8yrs and so much of the time it was hell for me.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:21 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post

I know a couple who have been together for 20 years; she is a major introvert and he is very extroverted. It works for them!
My parents are an introvert/extrovert couple and they've been married for over 50 years. My mom is a social butterfly and needs interaction to feel complete. Dad is an introvert who needs his downtime to recharge, but like others have said, it doesn't mean that he's awkward or misanthropic. They respect each other's needs--Dad will sometimes go to social events for my mom, and Mom knows that Dad needs his space and alone time.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,797,363 times
I don't know if we're doomed in relationships, however finding them is way more challenging for us than extroverts.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,399,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Of course not. Introverts can be very social as well. I'm a very outgoing introvert. The majority of my career has been in sales and fundraising. I think you may have a very common misunderstanding of what an introvert is. It does not mean socially inept, shy, etc.

I know that it's now very popular to emphasize how an introvert CAN be quite social (and yet need to be alone to "recharge" - verging on trite terminology) but there are many introverts who even though aren't mute they still don't choose to socialize much. It sounds like that might be the OP.

I'm an introvert and I'm not afraid to say that I've never had more than one really good friend at a time...I'll duck down a hallway to avoid talking to people at work...I can't wait to be alone...and yet - I'm okay talking in front of large groups as long as I'm prepared for it. In fact I prefer large groups because I can "hold them at arm's length" and don't have to get in one on one conversations - I've actually been an instructor for classes with hundreds of students! I've also had several LTRs and have been in one now for the last 10 years.

OP - it's not impossible - there are introverts you likely have much in common with as well as less extreme extroverts. As long as you're not the jealous type, your partner can go off and socialize more on the occasions you don't want to and your relationship can thrive. No need to compartmentalize yourself and others so much - "socializing" is just another characteristic you may not need to match exactly on but just be within your tolerable limits - sot so different from other things you look for in a partner.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:16 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,501,725 times
I've read that extrovert man----introvert woman is a good match

Extrovert woman----introvert man....not a good match

(Don't know about same-sex relationships)

Apparently, the extrovert woman will start to resent the introvert man. But when it's reversed, the extrovert man carries a lot of the social weight of the couple which the introvert woman actually appreciates

Now, I don't know how true this is, but it makes sense to me and I've seen it play out like this in real life

Two extroverts are good together
Two introverts are good together but can get stuck in a rut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships