Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 12:56 PM

73 posts, read 57,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
OP has returned and answered a half dozen or so inquiries but has never explained why he is insisting on getting the iphone X when the "promise" was simply for an iphone, any iphone.
I told her I would purchase whatever would be current at the time, not knowing Apple would come up with a thousand dollar phone.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:56 PM

10,384 posts, read 8,048,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I haven't read all 40 pages of this thread but... am I the only one thinking that the OP should just finance the phone with their monthly phone plan? Did he specify that they HAVE to outright buy it? Most larger carriers allow you to finance a phone for $30(ish) per month.
His wife is vehemently opposed to financing the phone that way, as she doesn't want to be locked to one carrier for 2+ years. (And she also disagrees with the whole idea of getting their daughter a top-of-the-line iPhone in the first place).

Old 12-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
He promised to get her the latest model.

I can hardly wait until Dani decides she needs a car ("all my friends have their own car") and of course an old beater won't do.
She doesn't just ask for whatever comes to her. We've already told her we can't afford a car and she knows she can't ask for expensive things frequently, and when she does, she knows that she can expect a "no" quite often. I would like to re-establish this iPhone is an exception, and she'll know full well it's the first and last one we'll be buying for her when we all sit down and talk.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I'm wondering what he told the sister. Did he say that the 1 grand was for a gift for Dani? Did he mention that Younger Sis was getting the shaft?

The sister is just as bad for agreeing. No way would I agree to this, especially considering that the younger sister was not getting the same amount of gifts.
I didn't go into so much depth so as to describe my entire family's wish list when I talked to my sister, I kept it to the point and explained the situation in relation to my eldest daughter. And honestly, I really don't know what else I could possibly get my youngest because every time I ask she tells me she only wants what she wrote down on her wish list, all of which I am getting for her for Christmas. She just isn't the kind of child to ask for something expensive, and I wouldn't be able to afford to buy her anything expensive either; I can't ask my sister to fund two expensive Christmas presents for my children even though I know she could afford to because it just isn't right. I'm not going to reiterate this because I feel like I've mentioned it enough times, but this iPhone situation is a one-off as a result of a lousy mistake I made. It's not happening again.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,295,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.24 View Post
I didn't go into so much depth so as to describe my entire family's wish list when I talked to my sister, I kept it to the point and explained the situation in relation to my eldest daughter. And honestly, I really don't know what else I could possibly get my youngest because every time I ask she tells me she only wants what she wrote down on her wish list, all of which I am getting for her for Christmas. She just isn't the kind of child to ask for something expensive, and I wouldn't be able to afford to buy her anything expensive either; I can't ask my sister to fund two expensive Christmas presents for my children even though I know she could afford to because it just isn't right. I'm not going to reiterate this because I feel like I've mentioned it enough times, but this iPhone situation is a one-off as a result of my lousy mistake. It's not happening again.
What you fail to realize is that you cannot afford the gift for your oldest daughter, either.

You are feeling guilty for not being able to get her an iPhone, but you oddly do not feel guilty for the fallout that will result from getting her an iPhone. On top of the relationship drama, now you owe your sister a thousand bucks that you cannot pay back.

If you weighed the pros and cons, the cons outweigh any positives IMO. This is what you should teach your daughter, to weigh the pros and the cons - not "A promise is a promise no matter who gets hurt.". That's asinine.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,041,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think you are being overly simplistic. There is a lot more at play (and at risk) than the $1000 phone. Familial relationships are much longer lasting than any phone.
Who cares? We gave our thoughts, he made his decision. The rest is irrelevant. The sun will still rise.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:22 PM

23,504 posts, read 19,222,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Bad parenting effects us all. This princess is going to become someone's trophy wife or boss one day.

It starts at home.
Hmm, just noticed a pattern here:

Dad was determined to get something unrealistic that he couldn't afford on his own, so he convinced relatives to take care of part or all of the expense. Then is unwilling to see what the real problem was and will talk all around it no matter what. Once he is satisfied the bigger issue can now be conveniently ignored.

Daughter was determined to get something unrealistic that she couldn't afford on her own, so she convinced relatives to take care of part or all of the expense. Then is unwilling to see what the real problem was and will talk all around it no matter what. Once she is satisfied the bigger issue can now be conveniently ignored.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:24 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,295,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hmm, just noticed a pattern here:

Dad was determined to get something unrealistic that he couldn't afford on his own, so he convinced relatives to take care of part or all of the expense. Then is unwilling to see what the real problem was. And, it doesn't matter as long as he is satisfied.

Daughter was determined to get something unrealistic that she couldn't afford on her own, so she convinced relatives to take care of part or all of the expense. Then is unwilling to see what the real problem was. And, it doesn't matter as long as she is satisfied.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 PM

33 posts, read 21,063 times
As a newbie to DC, I have gotta admit some of these threads make me feel lucky I make enough money to not have to worry about my entire family being destroyed over a damned phone.
OP, you should be able to save a thousand bucks in 3 years, u should really look into what ur doing wrong if u arent able to save 1k in 3 years
if u want to please ur family and get them expensive gifts without all this hullabaloo being created, i suggest looking for a better job.
OR, moving out of one of the most expensive areas in the country, maybe? just a thought.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,048,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.24 View Post
I told her I would purchase whatever would be current at the time, not knowing Apple would come up with a thousand dollar phone.
The 8 is also current and came out in the exact same release/announcement as the X. The 8 is not $1000. Technically if you get your child the 8, you are not breaking your promise. The X is a special 10th edition iPhone. Hence "X." Notice they skipped 9, it's because it's a special phone. The first iPhone was released in 2007. This is a special edition, expensive version. The 8 is the next in line, after the 7 and 7s (which are also still current - a year old is not bad). Somehow I get by with my 2 year old 6s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships