Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 07:16 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,065,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
And I predict we're about to get a flood of posts about really bad neighbors.
Exactly. My daughter had to move because the neighbor would call her children racial slurs (they were in kindergarten and 2 grade and are half Korean) at the bus top, curse at them, told my wife not to visit, and much more.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:08 AM

11,177 posts, read 9,803,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Totally agree.

And because I had the experience of having an awesome neighborhood, I have nostalgia sometimes.

I was talking to someone today who mentioned "intentional communities" - going to look into it.

P.S. I had friends who were true hippies and lived on a commune. I visited them. That is not for me, but I love the idea of "community."

There is another reality show about a guy who helps people off grid - and those people really, really help each other. I just love that.
Again with the "reality" shows. What does it take to help you understand that by definition a TV show is not reality?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:33 AM

[quote=nobodysbusiness;50448805]If I had to guess, I would guess that she simply does not care and was "acting" in the emails . . . can't think of any other possible scenarios. I would bet $100 that she likes the design . . . I know their taste . . .[/QUOTE]

But you also said..."Then I commissioned artwork, which turned out fabulous . . . truly beautiful! I posted the images on<edit>social media and the boxes got rave reviews."

And in a different post you stated...."In the meantime, said neighbors put their Christmas decorations up - very gaudy - huge, inflatable Santa on roof - all kinds of garish things. I was thinking of taking a picture of that, just to prove I am not the one with the questionable taste!"

So let's see...you know their taste and are sure that they like it, it's beautiful and fabulous. Then you say that they have questionable, garish taste. Very confusing. So is this mailbox beautiful and fabulous, or garish and in questionable taste? It can't be both.

The idea that you "know their taste" is laughable. It reminds me of when my husband, who knows that I love certain limited edition art prints I own, walked me into a gallery, hoping I would gravitate to the print by a different artist that he had put on hold for me for Christmas. I told him I didn't even want to go in because I despise this particular artist's work. He thought he knew my taste, and you'd think so after 10 years together, but even he had no idea of how much this popular artist's work makes me want to hurl. Thank goodness he hadn't actually bought it and could get his deposit back! We still laugh about it years later.

Just let it go...you went overboard trying to bond with a neighbor who doesn't have an interest in being your buddy.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:40 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,498,898 times
If you don't live next to Daesh, Boko Haram, or anyone else that does public executions, sex trafficking, torture, etc., then you don't have the worst neighbors in the world.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:30 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,225,453 times
Quote:
Once in awhile, someone would have a BBQ or dinner party and everyone on the block would be invited.
What happened when you did this?

Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM

102,251 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Have you ever considered moving back to that neighborhood? If it was so great, why did you leave?

You sound like my grandmother who goes on and on and on and on and on about how fabulous Germany is. Meanwhile, she was starving and freezing and playing in bombed out buildings, walking along railroad tracks looking a few pieces of coal for a fire, cooking potato peels to make broth for food for a few days. Germany is so wonderfully clean...everyone sweeps their sidewalk and street and hand polishes their brass door knobs. I never understand how any country would be a great place to live in the middle of a war, but especially THAT war.

She hasn't lived there since the war. She's been back to visit a few times. Each time she complains it's not the same. So many people are gone. yeah they're dead because they were old as dirt. None of these youngsters know what she's talking about. I used to ask her why she didn't just move back if it was so wonderful. She never really had an answer for any of us! I think in her mind the good ole days were just that....good and now they're old. Perception also changes with time. Memories fade or they're tweaked to be far greater than they were.
This is very interesting, ss20ts. I couldn't let this pass without comment. Nobody in Russia who survived the war years viewed them with nostalgia. As you point out, they were starving, and dodging bombs. Tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, were buried in mass graves, each the size of about 1/2 a city block. The mass graves in St. Petersburg (acres of them!) are the site of a war memorial today, with an exhibit hall full of photos of those days. NOBODY who lived through it (most of them now deceased, but I knew some when they were still alive) was ever nostalgic about those days. They were traumatic times.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-20-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 09:57 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,205,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Again with the "reality" shows. What does it take to help you understand that by definition a TV show is not reality?
"Okay, now in Episode Four of Off The Grid, we'll have The Smiths over by Babble Creek be terrorized by what they think is a rogue bear. Someone or some thing has cleaned out their smokehouse and left a big mess. Winter is right around the corner; their very survival is at stake. As a caring neighbor, Grizzly Bob volunteers to haul over his Civil War-era cannon with his mules to blow the rampaging varmint to Kingdom Come and replenish the lost supplies with pulverized bear meat. But no one expects what happens when they discover it's not a bear. Mrs Smith bakes cookies for everyone over the campfire, the children learn to make a solar-powered taser, and everyone sings the Hallelujah Chorus."

Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
"Okay, now in Episode Four of Off The Grid, we'll have The Smiths over by Babble Creek be terrorized by what they think is a rogue bear. Someone or some thing has cleaned out their smokehouse and left a big mess. Winter is right around the corner; their very survival is at stake. As a caring neighbor, Grizzly Bob volunteers to haul over his Civil War-era cannon with his mules to blow the rampaging varmint to Kingdom Come and replenish the lost supplies with pulverized bear meat. But no one expects what happens when they discover it's not a bear. Mrs Smith bakes cookies for everyone over the campfire, the children learn to make a solar-powered taser, and everyone sings the Hallelujah Chorus."
You made me spit out my diet Pepsi!

Old 12-20-2017, 10:21 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,655,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is very interesting, ss20ts. I couldn't let this pass without comment. Nobody in Russia who survived the war years viewed them with nostalgia. As you point out, they were starving, and dodging bombs. Tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, were buried in mass graves, each the size of about 1/2 a city block. The mass graves in St. Petersburg (acres of them!) are the site of a war memorial today, with an exhibit hall full of photos of those days. NOBODY who lived through it (most of them now deceased, but I knew some when they were still alive) was ever nostalgic about those days. They were traumatic times.
That's why I don't understand it at all! It was the worst war the world had ever seen. There bodies all over. No one was safe. She talks about it and it sounds like complete hell. But she gets all warm and fuzzy talking about looking for coal on railroad tracks! They had to hope the Nazi soldiers didn't see them or catch them. Sounds terrifying to me. I know she was in Hitler Youth Camp here in the states. I really have to wonder what kind of brainwashing went on there.

I know other people who talk about living through The Great Depression and wars, but this is a whole different strange level. Granted, those people are all gone now. I have other family who talks about escaping what's now Poland in the middle of the night with literally the clothes on their back as the Nazi forces came to town and destroyed it. That great grandmother never said it was wonderful nor was she nostalgic for the old country. She loved living in the US. She loved being safe. The trauma these people all faced - I just don't see how anyone can fully grasp it unless you experienced it as well.....but how could you long for those times? I seriously just don't understand it. It's just sooooo bizarre to me!

Old 12-20-2017, 10:56 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,670,042 times
[quote=TheShadow;50452740]
Quote:
If I had to guess, I would guess that she simply does not care and was "acting" in the emails . . . can't think of any other possible scenarios. I would bet $100 that she likes the design . . . I know their taste . . .[/QUOTE]

But you also said..."Then I commissioned artwork, which turned out fabulous . . . truly beautiful! I posted the images on<edit>social media and the boxes got rave reviews."

And in a different post you stated...."In the meantime, said neighbors put their Christmas decorations up - very gaudy - huge, inflatable Santa on roof - all kinds of garish things. I was thinking of taking a picture of that, just to prove I am not the one with the questionable taste!"

So let's see...you know their taste and are sure that they like it, it's beautiful and fabulous. Then you say that they have questionable, garish taste. Very confusing. So is this mailbox beautiful and fabulous, or garish and in questionable taste? It can't be both.

The idea that you "know their taste" is laughable. It reminds me of when my husband, who knows that I love certain limited edition art prints I own, walked me into a gallery, hoping I would gravitate to the print by a different artist that he had put on hold for me for Christmas. I told him I didn't even want to go in because I despise this particular artist's work. He thought he knew my taste, and you'd think so after 10 years together, but even he had no idea of how much this popular artist's work makes me want to hurl. Thank goodness he hadn't actually bought it and could get his deposit back! We still laugh about it years later.

Just let it go...you went overboard trying to bond with a neighbor who doesn't have an interest in being your buddy.
On the "taste" issue - their taste is on the gaudy side - the images on the mailbox are "tasteful" images of their preferred icons - so more artistic stylings of stuff they like. I know it's very vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.