Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,663,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What happened when you did this?
What do you mean "what happened?" I attended the BBQ's and parties. Geez.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,663,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's why I don't understand it at all! It was the worst war the world had ever seen. There bodies all over. No one was safe. She talks about it and it sounds like complete hell. But she gets all warm and fuzzy talking about looking for coal on railroad tracks! They had to hope the Nazi soldiers didn't see them or catch them. Sounds terrifying to me. I know she was in Hitler Youth Camp here in the states. I really have to wonder what kind of brainwashing went on there.

I know other people who talk about living through The Great Depression and wars, but this is a whole different strange level. Granted, those people are all gone now. I have other family who talks about escaping what's now Poland in the middle of the night with literally the clothes on their back as the Nazi forces came to town and destroyed it. That great grandmother never said it was wonderful nor was she nostalgic for the old country. She loved living in the US. She loved being safe. The trauma these people all faced - I just don't see how anyone can fully grasp it unless you experienced it as well.....but how could you long for those times? I seriously just don't understand it. It's just sooooo bizarre to me!
On the nostalgia for "home" when home was a war zone . . . people bond during periods of trauma - so combining one's home with trauma might create a powerful emotional connection. Why would you try to dissect someone else's experience? Why not just take them at face value - she loved her home and homeland - it's not that difficult to comprehend. A lot has been written on this - it's not an obscure, bizarre idea.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:01 AM

242 posts, read 184,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
M

I think the PP meant what happened when you threw a party or bbq for the whole neighborhood rather than waiting for someone else to do it. And that is different than a neighborhood watch meeting which people may not be interested in. If you are lamenting that there is a lack of parties and BBQ’s, how many have you thrown over the past 20 years?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:08 AM

242 posts, read 184,731 times
One other question: Do you live alone or with others? If you live with others does your spouse of children have the same view of your neighbors? If you live alone could it be that you are lonely and resentful of the fact that your neighbors aren’t going out of their way to be your surrogate family? Do you have close friends and family outside your neighborhood? If not you may be looking for this in a place where others aren’t and the mismatched expectations may be causing you to feel resentful, bitter, and perhaps even a bit jealous. Be honest with yourself here.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,641,568 times
Quote:
On the nostalgia for "home" when home was a war zone . . . people bond during periods of trauma - so combining one's home with trauma might create a powerful emotional connection. Why would you try to dissect someone else's experience? Why not just take them at face value - she loved her home and homeland - it's not that difficult to comprehend. A lot has been written on this - it's not an obscure, bizarre idea.
I'm not trying to dissect anything. I just don't understand it. Neither do her sisters or her children. Her sisters lived there as well, but were much younger. Her children have all visited. One even lived there. It's not like she moved her a few years ago.....it's been decades. She still thinks Hitler was a great man. That's why I wonder what brainwashing took place in the Hitler Youth Camp she participated in here in the US.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:13 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
[quote=nobodysbusiness;50454377]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

On the "taste" issue - their taste is on the gaudy side - the images on the mailbox are "tasteful" images of their preferred icons - so more artistic stylings of stuff they like. I know it's very vague.

You think they're tasteful. Others may not. You think their taste is "gaudy", others may not. That's why art belongs inside your home and not outside. Personally I find any and all "artsy" mailboxes to be tacky. I prefer a plain old black metal mailbox on a black pole or in a brick façade. If you have to decorate your mailbox in any way, why not opt for plantings around it or a vine that climbs the pole? IMO, natural is always prettier.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:20 AM

3,328 posts, read 1,824,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I will never understand why residents of an HOA would ever support stuff like this.
So we don't have a tempest in a teapot over MAILBOXES, like this ginormous and very funny, thread!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,221,580 times
Quote:
No, when you hosted one.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 AM

24,633 posts, read 10,958,690 times
[quote=nobodysbusiness;50454377]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

On the "taste" issue - their taste is on the gaudy side - the images on the mailbox are "tasteful" images of their preferred icons - so more artistic stylings of stuff they like. I know it's very vague.
So, we are back to basics. Your neighbors are rednecks

Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You think they're tasteful. Others may not. You think their taste is "gaudy", others may not. That's why art belongs inside your home and not outside. Personally I find any and all "artsy" mailboxes to be tacky. I prefer a plain old black metal mailbox on a black pole or in a brick façade. If you have to decorate your mailbox in any way, why not opt for plantings around it or a vine that climbs the pole? IMO, natural is always prettier.
Yeah, this is where I'm struggling. I can't imagine any mailbox with "images" and "icons" to be tasteful or artsy. IMO, mailboxes should blend with the architecture of the home (especially if you're going to bring "increasing value" into the discussion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.