Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 05:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,672,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Just read the entire thread.

I get where you are coming from OP, for what its worth.

Your comments make me think about the neighborhood I grew up in. It was a suburb, and over time we got to know most of the neighbors on our street. One family had older kids and so they sometimes babysat us. We had BBQs together, holiday parties, and the kids ran around together through all the yards and up and down the street playing and riding bikes.

I have many fond memories of that time and feel very fortunate to have lived in a safe neighborhood where all the neighbors became like extended family and good friends to our family.
Yes! Thank you. It is so awesome to have this experience of community! Life feels good - warm and safe (even if it is not) - you feel you have friends, allies - that you are part of something good!

You get help when needed and you help others in their times of need.

It's all good!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,656,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
As I said, I initiated the progressive party, which no one showed any interest in.
What is a progressive party? Almost sounds political.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What is a progressive party? Almost sounds political.
You start out at one person's house and have drinks and hor duerves, then "progress" to the next house for more of the same.

You get to see your neighbors in their natural habitats.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,656,990 times
Quote:
You start out at one person's house and have drinks and hor duerves, then "progress" to the next house for more of the same.

You get to see your neighbors in their natural habitats.
I've never heard of a party like that. I can see some folks having an issue moving around and others complaining about being one of a bunch of hosts.....Hosting a party is challenging and you never get to enjoy the party like guests.

Why do you need to see your neighbors in their natural habitats? They're not animals in a zoo.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 PM

13,905 posts, read 8,092,523 times
The whole thing sounds weird.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 PM

It's a fun thing to do - kind of like bar hopping, but house hopping - you don't stay that long in each home - it is just fun - to those who don't think so, I really don't know what to say (and I have never done it either, but I like the idea of it).

Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,670 times
Quote:
It's a fun thing to do - kind of like bar hopping, but house hopping - you don't stay that long in each home - it is just fun - to those who don't think so, I really don't know what to say (and I have never done it either, but I like the idea of it).
I've heard of them for sure and would do one if invited.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:41 PM

741 posts, read 591,748 times
Many years ago, before I was married with children, my sister invited me to a progressive dinner at her condo building with neighbors she knew well. We started at 6pm and went to the 1st condo for appetizers, the 2nd for salad, the 3rd for the main course, the 4th for dessert and the 5th for cheese and fruit. There were drinks served at each stop, so it was good it was all in one building where everyone could walk just a few steps to each condo. No one person was burdened with the entire meal, and although alcohol was offered at each stop, people weren’t required to drink. If you paced yourself with the alcohol the experience could be a lot of fun. We spent a little over an hour at each condo. Generally a lot of the conversation revolved around how people decorated their condos and what improvements they had made. We talked about other things too, and time just flew by. It was a really unique experience and I would do it again in heartbeat if invited, or if I could make it happen in my own neighborhood.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:34 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,699,986 times
Quote:
Now it is done and installed - I spent hundreds of dollars on the project. Someone asked me how they like it - the husband said it was cool, but she has not said one word (no email "thanks"), nothing . . .
Who cares? How does this make someone a bad neighbor? They let you do what you wanted to your shared mailbox and you did. The end. Sound like perfectly fine neighbors to me. You're seriously holding their non-obsession w/mailboxes against them? Yikes. Put up a poll and I bet you 90% of people would prefer to live next to the "worst neighbor" over you, Ms. "literally all of my neighbors are 'ingrates.'"

Old 12-21-2017, 05:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,069,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm just trying to figure out what it means. Is there a coherent theme to the images, or are they just random things the neighbor likes?

I'm picturing something like the husband likes hunting, so here's an image of a rifle. They both like gardening, here's a sunflower. She's a librarian, he's in finance, so an image of a stack of books here and a stack of money here. They have 2 cats and a koi pond, so images of those will also go on the mailbox....

But if it is super personalized, I don't see how it could help property value. The next people to move on are not going to have the same likes and wouldn't want such a personalized mailbox. Plus the OP acts like its a fabulous gift to the neighbors, so would they be able to take the mailbox with them if they moved?
I can't stop thinking it's a big Elvis head..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.