Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you taught to walk on the right side of the sidewalk/aisle as a child?
Yes 105 76.09%
No 17 12.32%
I have no idea 16 11.59%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM

118 posts, read 86,430 times

Advertisements

I haven't been in a mall since cellphones showed up. It always aggravated me that people didn't "keep right". Just seemed logical to me they we should. Maybe I was trained that way. Too long ago to remember and nobody left to ask.

Our local mall has 20' wide corridors. One end of the mall is considerably higher than the other. The change in altitude is accomplished by ramps every so often. However there are steps on ether side of each ramp. 3 to 4 steps each. If one is so inclined they take the steps. Maybe when zeroing in on the store they want to enter.

I figure it this way. The 15' or so of ramp is divided(imaginary) into two 7.5' lanes. One side going uphill, one side going down. Keep right and everything flows smooth. Same with the stairs. Uphill stays the their right, downhill stays to theirs. The problem is everyone thinks THEY have the right of way. I'm going to THAT store. Look out!

Yeah. Seeing it written right out like this it sounds pretty silly to expect anything like that to happen.

TU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,795 posts, read 4,170,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
ANything else?
OP post not up to your standards??

Old 12-17-2017, 06:31 PM

10,952 posts, read 7,493,403 times
I was taught to keep to the right in both driving and walking. I am amazed at how many people didn't get that memo. Most annoying are those who come right down the middle, often 2 or 3 abreast, filling the aisle, then can't figure out why you don't scramble out of their way. I'm perfecting my stinkeye in cases like that.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,306,938 times
Sidewalks I'll grant, it's easier if everyone keeps to the right so they don't bump into each other.

But not aisles in a store. I'm going to walk on the side of the aisle that has the items I'm interested in and yes I will go back and forth if I want to look at or take items from both sides. I'm not walking each aisle twice to appease your sensibilities because everyone has to go back and forth to accommodate other shoppers, carts, boxes or other displays, etc. I was taught to be polite, step out of the way as needed, help someone reach something if they need help, and so on, but not to stay on a particular side.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:42 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,460,439 times
And how do you walk the perimeter of a grocery store? I happen to like going from left to right just like I write and paint. So when I get to the meat section in the back I would be in the wrong? I'm sorry but I never see people all going in one direction and single file while browsing meat. That seems kind of silly. I ma also going to avoid an aisle with crowds so that would also put me in the wrong at times according to the OP.

As long as people are courteous to each other I think this is really a non issue.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,561,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
And how do you walk the perimeter of a grocery store?<>
Not a traffic issue, but a health issue in this case. Go for veggies first, then continue to circle the perimeter, ending at meat products.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:57 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,090,160 times
Yes ^^^

Old 12-17-2017, 07:01 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,561,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I have more of an issue with people that don't know how to use people-movers in airports. If you aren't going to walk, you stand on the right<>
Old skiing technique works here, yell, "Coming by, on your left!"

Old 12-17-2017, 07:14 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
Well if I am in the store shopping I am not going up and down each aisle twice so I am on the right side.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-17-2017, 07:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,689,449 times
It's the same in aisles, as on sidewalks - stay to the right. If you have to look at something or grab something, keep your cart on the right and step over to the left. If someone is coming in the opposite direction (on their right, your left), say "excuse me" if you have to impede the flow of their traffic.

If you ever have to walk in front of someone, say "excuse me." I said this to a guy yesterday when I crossed in front of him - then he crossed in front of me and said nothing. Rolled my eyes and shook my head and gave him the stink eye.

People without basic manners are evil.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 12-17-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships