Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you taught to walk on the right side of the sidewalk/aisle as a child?
Yes 105 76.09%
No 17 12.32%
I have no idea 16 11.59%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:27 PM

836 posts, read 1,782,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Forget that. Just stop going in the exit, and out the entrance.
We have a Walmart here that defies all expectations... it has an Entrance sign on the left, and Exit on the right... Very confusing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:21 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,013,918 times
I live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood. Almost everyone, regardless of where they were born, seems to walk on the right side of the street. The only exception seems to be older east Asian people...say over age 50. I'm not sure why, but they tend to walk in the middle and won't move much if at all. I'm 210 lbs with a 46 inch chest so I'm willing to take my chances with most pedestrians.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:36 PM

4,182 posts, read 2,595,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't think people are teaching their kids how to walk properly in public.

I was in a hardware store yesterday - it was very busy - and people kept running into me.

Most of them were just darting from here to there, without looking - some were on the "wrong side" of the aisle - were walking on the left of the aisle.

My mother taught me at a young age to always walk on the right side of the sidewalk/aisle . . . if everyone does that, then you don't run into each other. I don't think parents are teaching their kids this important "skill" these days.
And it doesn't help that Walmart puts it's entrance, and exit doors on the wrong sides!!! It really burns me up. After all, this isn't Europe. Here we drive on the right side of the road, so the entrance should be on the right, not the left. What were they thinking, lol. Things need to be consistent. Not willy nilly.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,916,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I do this, so I don't have to Google it. It has nothing to do with thinking my time is more valuable. It is a pet peeve of mine.

It irks me when someone is waiting on me to pull out. They are too lazy to find another parking spot?

I can understand if I am pulling out and you are waiting. But I HATE it when people follow me as I walk to my car. It feels stalkerish. I have deliberately misled them by cutting across to another aisle.

If you pull up and I am loading up my car (or, even worse, FOLLOWING ME as I walk to my car), drive around and look for another spot.

I do have to say that I never park close to an entrance to avoid getting dings in my car, and to get a few more steps on my Fitbit. So there is no need to follow.
I generally don't park really close to the place I'm going if I am alone since I don't mind walking.

If I am there with DH, I end up parking closer since he has a bad back.

The city we shop in is pretty packed on the weekends so more often than not, there is a car waiting in the aisle behind me as I'm unloading my groceries in the trunk, lol.

Sometimes there is a car driving right behind me as I'm walking after the driver sees me walking towards my spot.

I personally don't care either way about someone wanting my spot--I'm getting ready to leave anyhow.

I try to hurry up so they can have it and don't want to be rude by taking too long to leave.

It could be that they just want to be close, or maybe they have some physical reason they want to be close to the store. Either way, it's not my place to judge or worry about it.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 PM

1,149 posts, read 939,094 times
This is one of my biggest pet peeves: People who do not know proper etiquette. Walk on the right side, for example: malls, sidewalks, airports, festivals, fairs, aisles, etc.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,687,444 times
Target also has the doors wrong - entrance on left - exit on right - makes no sense!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Target also has the doors wrong - entrance on left - exit on right - makes no sense!
This website sure is stingy with the reps! They dish them out like they were gold . Anyway it won't let me rep you again so soon. But yes, it drives me crazy every time, lol. I've got to develop thicker skin, or something. I must confess that sometimes I sneak in the right hand door when it's slow. I like to live life on the edge, haha .

Old 12-18-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm just curious....do we walk on the right because we drive on the right? How do people walk in countries where they drive on the left?
They walk on the left, lol. Not too difficult to figure out.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Those parents aren't reading here.

Your umbrage is only feeding your ... umbrage.
Without certain rules we have chaos. Everyone does what is right in their own eyes. If people follow rules then we have order. Order is better .

Old 12-18-2017, 09:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,687,444 times
So it looks like 75% of the poll responders were taught to walk on the right as children - so now we know that there are approximately 25% of the public that are walking chaotically and randomly darting from one side to the other . . . it's kind of a substantial number, which is what I was experiencing in the hardware store.

Maybe in my spare time I will make flyers to instruct the errant walkers how to walk properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships