Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you taught to walk on the right side of the sidewalk/aisle as a child?
Yes 105 76.09%
No 17 12.32%
I have no idea 16 11.59%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM

16,603 posts, read 10,771,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Target also has the doors wrong - entrance on left - exit on right - makes no sense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It depends on how the store is laid out. If the cash registers are to the right of the doors, then the entrance is going to be on the left. Otherwise all the people leaving the store woild have to cut in front of everyone entering the store to get to the exit. If the registers are to the left of the entrance, then the entrance will be on the right.

Pretty much every store I shop at has two entrances, so on one side the entrance will be on the right, but the other entrance is on the left. I guess people who dont like entering on the left can just always use the one entrance.

There are two Targets near me.

One of them has only one entrance. That is to say, only one place where there are two sets of doors, one for going in and the other for coming out. When facing the store from the parking lot, this entrance is to the right of the cash registers. The in-door is to the right of the out-door.

The other Target has two entrances, located on either side of the cash registers. The entrance to the left (again, as you're facing the store from the parking lot) has the in-door to the left of the out-door. The entrance to the right has the in-door to the right of the out-door.

In all cases, patrons entering the store do not cross paths with patrons exiting the store. It's a perfectly logical way of doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 04:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,814,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't think people are teaching their kids how to walk properly in public.

I was in a hardware store yesterday - it was very busy - and people kept running into me.

Most of them were just darting from here to there, without looking - some were on the "wrong side" of the aisle - were walking on the left of the aisle.

My mother taught me at a young age to always walk on the right side of the sidewalk/aisle . . . if everyone does that, then you don't run into each other. I don't think parents are teaching their kids this important "skill" these days.
Same here. I was taught to stay on the right side. Also on public stairs.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:13 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,413,088 times
No. I was taught how to walk correctly in public when I was in Marine boot camp. (The commanding General's wife insisted on having us taught lessons on ladylike behavior ) By the way it had nothing to do with walking on the right. Never heard of such.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:32 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,701,110 times
I wonder if the people who were not taught to walk on the right might now consider it (after learning about it in this thread)?

Or will they keep darting from one side to the other?

I wonder if it bothers them when people run into them?

Or if they wonder what's causing it?

Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 27 days ago)

16,158 posts, read 21,316,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Sometimes aisles are just wide enough for two carts to pass. You almost have to stand on the opposing side to see all items on the shelving. In that case, I stand with my cart on the right side while perusing the shelf. When I see the object of my desire, I look both ways (like when you cross the street) and if clear, step forward, claim my prize and step back behind my cart and place my conquest into the cart.

If an item is on the same side as I, I 'park' my cart in the correct lane, move to where I can see the shelf I yet not block traffic. Grab my prize and be on my way again. All while keeping an eye on whether or not people are joining me in my position in the aisle.
This is me too, but invariably some twit will come along and 'park' next to my cart blocking the aisle for everyone else. I really don't understand why they do that, how difficult is it to go a few extra feet with your cart and then walk back to quickly grab your item?

As far as being taught to walk on the right isn't that something most people learn in the hallways of their schools? I know that was something we were supposed to do for safety reasons. Trying to barrel down the very crowded hallways on the wrong side of 'traffic' often resulted in spectacular collisions with books and papers flying everywhere.

Last edited by DubbleT; 12-19-2017 at 10:24 PM..

Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,893,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
We have a Walmart here that defies all expectations... it has an Entrance sign on the left, and Exit on the right... Very confusing!
I know it's weird, but I can sort of understand how it works at my Walmart.

On the left side of the building, The entrance is on the left so that people can go directly into the store. The exit doors on the right are the nearest to the cash registers, so people will turn right from the cash registers and then left out the door. Otherwise, there would be a crossover between the people coming in and going out.

On the right side, it's just the opposite. People go in the right door and directly into the store. People coming from the cash registers turn left and then right to go out the doors, once again avoiding a crossover.

Of course, most people go in and out whichever door they choose, so it's like "the best laid plans of mice and men", it "oft goes astray...." and causes cart traffic jams.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:34 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,258,825 times
There are so many different opinions and personalities in public, I don't even pay attention anymore, or put myself in a position to reflect on how rude someone just acted. Only thing that matters is doing what I have to do to get home safely.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:48 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,083,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
There are so many different opinions and personalities in public, I don't even pay attention anymore, or put myself in a position to reflect on how rude someone just acted. Only thing that matters is doing what I have to do to get home safely.
I totally agree. You can't predict what people around you consider proper or polite so I just do the best I know how and how I was 'taught.'

The last straw for me was Costco. Used to hate going there. The families of 10 snowplowing down the aisles, the armies of sample-grabbers, etc. Then I just decided to ignore everyone and go about my way, ignoring the chaos, and literally sing to myself if I had to just to get by. There was simply too much to process and if it did nothing but upset me and there was nothing I could do about it...why bother?

One of my strategies there is to NOT push my cart everywhere I go. I'll leave my cart in a remote, un-busy area and walk to grab like 2-3 items and then walk back to my cart. Rinse and repeat a few times. I get a little more exercise this way too.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 AM

48,663 posts, read 35,163,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

One of my strategies there is to NOT push my cart everywhere I go. I'll leave my cart in a remote, un-busy area and walk to grab like 2-3 items and then walk back to my cart. Rinse and repeat a few times. I get a little more exercise this way too.
I do that! I probably leave my cart in 5 locations on a regular basis and run around the area getting what I need when Costco (or even grocery store) is super busy. It's navigating the cart through all the people that is the pain. I have to mentally go to my happy place before going to Costco on a busy day, or I will get aggro, and that mainly hurts myself. I PLAN on parking in the farthest location because there will be no parking, I PLAN on being 10th in line because all lines will be full, and then laugh at how miserable it is, make sympathetic eye contact with other shoppers, try and do something helpful for someone else, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,549,746 times
My pet peeve here - when groups of folks (sorry but it is almost always women) are walking side-by-side down a corridor or sidewalk, virtually blocking anyone coming from the opposite direction from passing by, and they are oblivious that they need to move to "single file" in order to let the person pass. I cannot count the number of times I have had to come to a complete stop, rather than walk head on into a group because they will not make space for a passer by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships