Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you taught to walk on the right side of the sidewalk/aisle as a child?
Yes 105 76.09%
No 17 12.32%
I have no idea 16 11.59%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:30 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,076,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do that! I probably leave my cart in 5 locations on a regular basis and run around the area getting what I need when Costco (or even grocery store) is super busy. It's navigating the cart through all the people that is the pain. I have to mentally go to my happy place before going to Costco on a busy day, or I will get aggro, and that mainly hurts myself. I PLAN on parking in the farthest location because there will be no parking, I PLAN on being 10th in line because all lines will be full, and then laugh at how miserable it is, make sympathetic eye contact with other shoppers, try and do something helpful for someone else, etc.
OMG I do this 1000% too, all of it.

On my walk from the remote parking area to the store I usually look for someone struggling to get a heavy item in the car and help. Things like that set me up for a zen shopping experience.

Funny thing happened last time I went to Costco. It was the worst possible time/day: Saturday afternoon before Thanksgiving. I did my usual park the cart remotely thing. I'm just ambling around with a couple items in hand, on my way back to my cart and a stranger says to me, "she was just moving it to get by no need to make a face about it!" I literally had no idea what he meant and said so. Somehow he "saw" a face I made and thought it was in response to his wife moving someone's cart. I even said, "my cart's way over there," but he just seemed to want to make a point. Ommmmm.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,370,672 times
No, my parents didn't teach me to walk on the right. There was no need to. It's obvious.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,295,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
No, my parents didn't teach me to walk on the right. There was no need to. It's obvious.
You would think.

I thought this thread was about good posture when I first read the title.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,578,114 times
Try walking anywhere on a busy sidewalk or in a store in Europe. Like ants. No sticking to one side, just go where you please and I found the people very rude. If they bumped into you, they just kept on going.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,400,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
What amazes me about Oriental people is how they dart around in crowds. We were in a MLS that had many Chinese from the US and Canada. Getting caught in a crowd of them at convention was truly a walk on the wild side.
That's Asian people. Oriental are for objects, not people.

But I do concur that Chinese folks often walk any which way around unless they have structured paths explicitly directing one to walk a certain direction.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:50 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,400,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I've noticed a lot of people on cell phones not paying attention to where they're walking.
This makes them vulnerable to tripping/falling, or getting their phones grabbed (it's called "Apple snatching" here in SF).

Old 12-20-2017, 04:51 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,295,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's Asian people. Oriental are for objects, not people.

But I do concur that Chinese folks often walk any which way around unless they have structured paths explicitly directing one to walk a certain direction.
This is offensive either way - this issue is not exclusive to one group.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:55 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,823,838 times
I was taught that and I've more than once hit a local mall which had some brand shops and walking along on the right, I have had people run smack into me and I have hit many with my shoulder and kept walking. If they won't pay attention to their walking to avoid, I'd just as well teach them a hard lesson in watching where you walk.....

Old 12-20-2017, 05:03 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This is offensive either way - this issue is not exclusive to one group.
No, it's not, but I suspect the poster was referring to the fact that some Asian people--particularly Chinese people and particularly IN CHINA do not have any concept of walking on one side or another or even standing in line. It is just not part of their culture. If you were on the sidewalk in Beijing walking slower than someone who wanted to get past you, they would just shove you out of the way and keep walking.

Same with the idea of standing in line. My daughter was traveling in the Sichuan Province when she lived there Everyone had a ticket, and every ticket had an assigned seat number, and still, when the bus came, they shoved and elbowed and knocked one another out of the way to get on the bus first.

The problem is when they come to other places and do that. I have seen it in NYC. They are not being rude. They just don't know that the western world goes by these social rules.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:13 PM

3,575 posts, read 2,903,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
What amazes me about Oriental people is how they dart around in crowds. We were in a MLS that had many Chinese from the US and Canada. Getting caught in a crowd of them at convention was truly a walk on the wild side.
"Oriental people"?
It's no longer 1962, that's a dated and offensive description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships