Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 11:40 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,584,282 times

Advertisements

I work part time at a local Dollar General. I'm and counting the days till my first Social Security check(88 days!). I'm adding that information to show that I'm one of the "older folks" who were taught to count change. That was part of our math in grade school. Our cash registers will show how much change is due when you put in how much they give you. But every now and then it doesn't and I count up from what the customer owes to the amount they gave me. I had my manager (35 years younger than me) standing near by and watched me count it out. Her eyes were the size of car tires. "How did you do that?" Had to explain I learned it in grade school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,753,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
This. I used to be a cashier back in the day. People giving me extra money to only get paper bills back would often times throw me off, especially working a lunch shift with 30 customers behind the current customer. I'm not and wasn't stupid, but doing math off the top of my head while being pressured to get people through a checkout line is not my strong point. This is always why I fully explain if I want to do something similar to cashiers now.
There is no excuse when the register in front of you is designed to do this math for you. If a person cannot type a sequence of 0-9 numbers and hit enter, they should not be anywhere near a cash register (and they won't be after the eventual shortfalls)

Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
This. I used to be a cashier back in the day. People giving me extra money to only get paper bills back would often times throw me off, especially working a lunch shift with 30 customers behind the current customer. I'm not and wasn't stupid, but doing math off the top of my head while being pressured to get people through a checkout line is not my strong point. This is always why I fully explain if I want to do something similar to cashiers now.

I sympathise with you (I think), and I’m desperately trying to agree that it must have been difficult trying to keep the line moving, and everybody happy.
However, although I think that I am reasonably intelligent, I never had a lick of common sense, according to experts in that field, my mother and my wife.
Unless the customers were asking you to do some kind of transaction that required higher mathematics, I’m failing to see the problem, maybe I’m over simplifying it.
I’m thinking along the lines of they were buying an item priced at $11.50, and giving you a $20, plus $1.50, requiring you to give them a $10 bill, or something for $9.15, and giving you a $10 plus a nickel and a dime, so that you had to give them $1.00.
If their requests were way more complicated than that, then I humbly apologise.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I sympathise with you (I think)
Why? It's just complete laziness on her part, it's not difficult to punch in $21.50 tendered on the register for the $11.50 sale which then shows in clear digits $10.00 CHANGE. God help us all she doesn't know that equals to one of those Hamilton bills

Old 01-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 2 days ago)

16,091 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Why? It's just complete laziness on her part, it's not difficult to punch in $21.50 tendered on the register for the $11.50 sale which then shows in clear digits $10.00 CHANGE. God help us all she doesn't know that equals to one of those Hamilton bills
I believe you are completely misunderstanding. She said she wasn't good at doing math off the top of her head. This would imply that it wasn't a matter of simply punching buttons, but rather the customers were giving her additional monies after the fact, and expecting her to adjust the amount of change due.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 AM

272 posts, read 184,838 times
While I believe being able to count is important and basic, if your a cashier, you have a a register, 0 excuse to not use it. Your paid to. It is also quicker, some places also have it so the change, is dispensed automatically, saving time.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
While I believe being able to count is important and basic, if your a cashier, you have a a register, 0 excuse to not use it. Your paid to. It is also quicker, some places also have it so the change, is dispensed automatically, saving time.
If sone one gives a cashier more change after they have already entered the amount given, the register is not going to be able to tell them the new amount of change to give back. Same with the situation from the OP. There is no option, at least on registers I've used, to indicate that the customer is exchanging money in order to receive a different refund amount.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 AM

272 posts, read 184,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If sone one gives a cashier more change after they have already entered the amount given, the register is not going to be able to tell them the new amount of change to give back. Same with the situation from the OP. There is no option, at least on registers I've used, to indicate that the customer is exchanging money in order to receive a different refund amount.
In that circumstance yes, I was more so talking about every single customer.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:19 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The lady ahead of me at a supermarket once handed a Susan B. Anthony dollar to the cashier, and the poor kid didn't know what it was. The lady looked at me and said, "Gosh, he is young."

They never really caught on, and now the only place I see them are when you get change at transit-ticket machines. A teenager working at a store these days wouldn't be familiar with them.

Not just teenagers, and young cashiers.
I was on a flight from London, U.K. to J.F.K. around the early 80s, I forget the carrier, but I'm reasonably sure that it was a U.S. one.
This was at a time when you had to pay for drinks in economy, and I'd just bought two miniatures of bourbon from the FA, I'd handed her a $20 bill, (I think), and among my change I got a $2 bill, featuring Thomas Jefferson.
As a U.K. citizen, I was used to our paper money being all different sizes and colours, and had been a tad disconcerted on my first trip over in 1976 to find U.S. bills all the same size and colour.
Colour me wrong, (pardon the pun, and spelling), but I'd got used to looking at the guy on the bill, rather than the number in the corners, to know what I was doing, Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, Grant, but rarely Franklin were all guys I knew like my own family.
If I bought something for $8 I'd look for 2 Lincolns or an Hamilton to pay for it, if I bought a drink for $4 I'd hand over a Lincoln and let the bartender keep the change.
So when I saw this unfamiliar guy Jefferson on the $2, my first thought was, who's this guy, and am I being mugged?
Sensing my concern, the young woman from New Jersey sitting next to me, plucked my sleeve, and assured me that the bill was perfectly okay, and not the equivalent of what we limeys would call "a nine bob note."
In all my years of travelling to the U.S., right up until last year, I don't think that I've ever seen another $2 bill.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
In all my years of travelling to the U.S., right up until last year, I don't think that I've ever seen another $2 bill.
They are not widely circulated, but are perfectly legal tender. You can get them at the bank on request for $2.00 each and go spend them. What happens is that people who get them for payment take them out of circulation because they think they're rare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships