Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 06:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If everyone bagged their own groceries, it would put a lot of people out of jobs.
How so? The cashiers would still be there to ring up the items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,267,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How so? The cashiers would still be there to ring up the items.
Baggers aren't people?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I think people should bag their own groceries unless they are disabled and can't use their hands. I prefer bagging my own stuff and really don't like it when an employee runs over and steps in. Are we sooo lazy we can't put things in bags anymore?
Quote:
If everyone bagged their own groceries, it would put a lot of people out of jobs.

If you want to bag your own groceries just use the self-checkout lane.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Baggers aren't people?
I'm confused by how you got that from my post...

Typically cashiers are the ones doing the bagging. Even if they don't bag a customers groceries, they are still needed to ring up the purchase. The customer bagging their own groceries is not going to eliminate a cashier's job. You bag your own groceries at Aldis, yet there are still cashiers.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:29 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,267,008 times
Quote:

Typically cashiers are the ones doing the bagging. Even if they don't bag a customers groceries, they are still needed to ring up the purchase. The customer bagging their own groceries is not going to eliminate a cashier's job. You bag your own groceries at Aldis, yet there are still cashiers.
I don't shop at Aldi's, they don't have them where I live. But our biggest supermarket chain here has both baggers and cashiers. Cashiers ring up the purchase, baggers put the items in the bags as they are being rung up. 2 different people doing two different jobs. Baggers are usually younger, or in some stores, they are sometimes people with intellectual challenges but they can handle that kind of job just fine, and are usually more careful about what they are doing than some of the other workers.

So yes, if a store eliminated baggers, there would be a group of people whose jobs were eliminated, and for some of them, they would not be able to handle a cashier role, even assuming the store could absorb that many more cashiers. As the busiest times, there is usually a bagger for each check out. When it's not quite as busy, they sometimes have baggers who go between a couple of different registers, but it's usually more like 2 baggers for 3 registers, not 1 bagger for 2 registers, so they are usually able to get to most people's orders as they help bag an order at one register while the shopper at the other register is paying and the bagging of their order is completed.

There are also some stores where the cashiers also bag the groceries, but that's a longer process. I prefer to go to the chain with baggers because I'm in and out more quickly.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:53 AM

666 posts, read 645,524 times
Quote:

They aren't in any city I've lived in. With the exception of Aldi, which I avoid at all costs anyway, and Walmart, the groceries around here all employ separate baggers.

Bubby

Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 2 days ago)

16,088 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Regional maybe, or maybe it depends on what time of day you shop. At many of the stores around here the cashiers do most of the bagging, except at the busiest times.
My daughter did a brief stint as a bagger at a local chain, she said she usually only had to bag during the rush when people would stop in on their way home from work. Most of her time was spent chasing carts in the parking lot, returning 'put backs', and cleaning. The rest of the time the cashiers would do their own bagging or help each other out, leaving the few actual baggers free to leave the checkout area to do other tasks.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,408,398 times
Baggers are already becoming a thing of the past in my city. In a typical store with 10 registers, 2-4 are actually open with 1-2 baggers between them.

Self-checkout is becoming more and more popular.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,925,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I think people should bag their own groceries unless they are disabled and can't use their hands. I prefer bagging my own stuff and really don't like it when an employee runs over and steps in. Are we sooo lazy we can't put things in bags anymore?

I like bagging my own as well. But that's why I always use the self checkouts. I have customers who also like to bag their own and they are amazed at how fast it goes. I don't think it's laziness. People just figure if I'm getting paid to do it then it's up to me to do it. It would be nice if they'd take some of the bags off the carousel but if they don't, oh well. I'll do it. I have no problem with it but you'd think they can see it's full.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,925,798 times
Quote:

No, it wouldn't. Our two major grocery stores have baggers but we don't. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have them but then I'd be on them all the time to do it right! AND they might want to pay me less so they can pay baggers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships