Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 PM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I had the same thought. Something out of the ordinary was being requested and any good cashier should have been cautious.

I was scammed out of $20 when I was a cashier working while in high school. A very skilled fast talker wanted change and kept switching what he wanted as I pulled different bills out for combinations he was giving me. After that, I learned to never leave the drawer open for more than one request. I shut it after each transaction. To my delight I had someone try that on me again and they got very upset that I wouldn’t leave the drawer open for the swindle to work. Fool me once.....
Ha! That was what the Depression-era con man always did in the movie Paper Moon (based on the book, Addie Pray).

Probably would work now with some of the cashiers out there.

Not that I would ever, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 01:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,860,900 times
Or maybe the cashier's mind was numb from doing the job for a few hours on end. Everyone makes an error, even the best of the best.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It seems like the OP was making a return and wanted her refund in cash instead of refunded back on her debit (even though her wallet is apparently too small for cash, so that still makes no sense). People typically are not handing over cash during a return, so I could see where the cashier was confused. Especially since it seems like the OP worded it oddly, asking for $5 back instead of her change as well.

This really has nothing to do with making change, since the OP was being refunded a certain amount and not paying for a purchase. Next time the OP should go to the bank if she needs certain bills. A cashier is not your personal ATM.

I always hated the customers who treated me like a bank. They would want $100 cash back( which is fine), but then would say they need the $100 in small biills preferably $1 and $5. Then they'd get angry when I didnt have that type of money in my register. Just take your change how the cashier is able to give it to you. If you need specific bills, or $20 in quarters to do laundry, that is what banks are for.
No, I made a return and had no choice but to take cash from the cashier. I would have preferred it to go to my card, but that wasn’t an option.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I do switch wallets from time to time based on the size of my purse. I use a larger every day wallet but sometimes on the weekend I have a need for a smaller purse. And then I use a condensed wallet.

I was extra sensitive about this cash back return since last week I had also had returns that refunded in cash. And by the time it was all said and done, I had 20 bills in my wallet (since I had previously gotten cash back and had small bills, plus $2.50 in change and my wallet was overly stuffed. So yes I didn’t want to try to stuff 10 bills in a card holder. People request certain types of change all the time. I spent 8 years as a cashier in high, school, college and a little post college. So I know what it is like.

This was a common occurrence when I was cashiering. And I told the clerk my intentions before I handed her the bill, asked for her consent and gave her a few extra sentences of background to clarify my request (the store was empty so I wasn’t inconveniencing anyone behind me).

Old 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM

[quote=ylisa7;50622455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

I agree that people should at least know the basics. Adding small amounts in your head should be basic not obsolete. No worries though today's generation will be dealing with something "outrageous" like this in 30 years, lol.

I must be at the wrong box stores....because many, not all, of the lines move like molasses...except for my Lowes. I love those ladies

I try not to make it hard for cashiers and I also won't hold up the line. If I am searching for a coin I will tell the cashier what I am doing. Something like "I might have a few pennies for you"...then they know to wait before they put the amount in the register.

Now the ones who tick me off and it's usually middled aged or older people that are the ones who wait until everything is rung up, packed and put in their cart....and then they take out a checkbook and "start" writing
. C'mon people think of someone other than yourself.
That annoyed me back before we had debit cards, when paying for your groceries with a check was common. You should not be going to the store unless your check is already filled out with everything except the amount. Or at the very least, do it while you're standing in line.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Ha! Exactly.

If I want an even amount of change back (which is never) from a young cashier and I see the color leave their face, I just help them. There are people who purposely scam/try to confuse cashiers into giving incorrect change so I just assist them...not a big deal.

"you get 4.59 back, ma'am." "Ok, thanks. I'm going to give you .41 so you can give me a $5 bill. I hate change..." or whatever. Simple.
I was once a cashier, and so I know that the change for .59 is one quarter, one dime, one nickel, and one penny.

I was at the grocery store and my total ended in .59, so I said, "So I get back one of each, a quarter, a dime, a nickel, and a penny." The cashier just stared at me. I said, "I used to be a cashier, so I know that's the change for .59.' Still stared and looked uncomprehending. I just let it go.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was extra sensitive about this cash back return since last week I had also had returns that refunded in cash. And by the time it was all said and done, I had 20 bills in my wallet (since I had previously gotten cash back and had small bills, plus $2.50 in change and my wallet was overly stuffed. So yes I didn’t want to try to stuff 10 bills in a card holder. People request certain types of change all the time. I spent 8 years as a cashier in high, school, college and a little post college. So I know what it is like.
Im not sure why your inability to plan ahead needs to be the cashier's problem too. If your wallet had been overstuffed for a week, why not go by the bank or even just take the money out of your wallet and leave it at home? I too carry around a small purse as it has to fit into a small locked drawer at work. I know not everything is going to fit in there, so unneccasary stuff gets left at home during the work week. If I had too much cash, I would either deposit it at the bank or pay cash for a few purchases. I would not not use it as an opportunity to confuse cashiers.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was at the grocery store and my total ended in .59, so I said, "So I get back one of each, a quarter, a dime, a nickel, and a penny." The cashier just stared at me. I said, "I used to be a cashier, so I know that's the change for .59.' Still stared and looked uncomprehending. I just let it go.
I too would have been confused as to why you were telling me that. Did you not think the cashier was going to give you back the correct change? That she didn't know how to do her job? It just seems like an odd thing to say.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:31 PM

709 posts, read 580,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I had the same thought. Something out of the ordinary was being requested and any good cashier should have been cautious.

I was scammed out of $20 when I was a cashier working while in high school. A very skilled fast talker wanted change and kept switching what he wanted as I pulled different bills out for combinations he was giving me. After that, I learned to never leave the drawer open for more than one request. I shut it after each transaction. To my delight I had someone try that on me again and they got very upset that I wouldn’t leave the drawer open for the swindle to work. Fool me once.....
I work as a cashier at a busy agricultural store. There is always a line, with huge amounts of cash transactions, overflowing carts of tractor supplies, feed, tools, etc. You also have to throw in the obligatory (and mandatory!) niceties to the customer. It's okay, thats my job, but it can be mind numbing after a full day of transactions. The first thing we are told is to not accept "extra change and bills" after the amount is entered into the register, in today's world and the old days. Transaction is done! Don't judge the cashier. There is so much more to it than just standing there and taking your money.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,927,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was once a cashier, and so I know that the change for .59 is one quarter, one dime, one nickel, and one penny.

They probably were staring at you because the couldn't believe how condescending you were- sounds like you were talking to a 3 year old grandchild while playing store

and when you walked out of the store did you say ......left..right......left....right........

Old 01-07-2018, 02:54 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I totally agree with this. If I am doing cash anywhere I try to use pennies so I don't get pennies back. If the charge is $2.88 I might give $3.03. I'd rather have nickles in my wallet than pennies. What gets me is how quick they punch the next button on their register. I'll say, wait I have a couple pennies and they have already punched the bill amount and change due is already up and they can't make the difference in their heads. Now I dig out my change before I hand out the bill so that way they have to punch in the whole amount.

So if it's $2.78 I'd give them $3.03 and get a quarter back. No one can figure it out.

I used to work in a store and we didn't have those newfangled registers so we'd count out the change from the charge to the money. It was a long time ago and we had those little machines with a plate and a slide bar to use a credit card. I'll bet a lot of you never saw one of those!

Clerks might know how to make change if the whole world hadn't changed to electronic swiping. I wonder just what kids are learning in schools these days.
I think a lot of is lack of training. If they trained clerks to get handed 20.06 to get a 10 back, by putting 20.06 in the machine -- they'd get it.

It's also management wanting to know each piece sold, so the clerk has to ring up each piece, instead of one piece x 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships