Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:04 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times

Advertisements

Her monkeys, her circus, right? Suggest to her the insurance companies will work it out. No reason to sue when there are no injuries, just property damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM

304 posts, read 295,882 times
Someone once sued me when I rear-ended them going 15 miles per hour. My insurance company was going to do a pretty decent pay out for both the car and pain and suffering. She had an older car and the payout was somewhere in the $8,000 range. Instead she sued, and the insurance company kept it in court for several years until finally there was a date. She got $1500, and a portion of that her lawyer took. She was so angry and she cost everyone a ton of time and money for no reason. I was later rear ended at a low speed and had very minor whiplash. The insurance companies handled things and I got my car repaired and a check for my inconvenience (of course, I had to sign that I would later not sue, but by that time I knew I had no serious injuries).

Sometimes it can be easier and more beneficial to a person to deal with these things outside of court. If this accident happened yesterday, she probably won't start hearing from the insurance companies until sometime today and then they'll need to make estimates for all of it.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:15 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post

Sometimes it can be easier and more beneficial to a person to deal with these things outside of court. If this accident happened yesterday, she probably won't start hearing from the insurance companies until sometime today and then they'll need to make estimates for all of it.
She won't hear from them at all if she doesn't file the claim.

She needs to be proactive and initiate contact.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:18 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
OP: Is your objection that she is not automatically suing over any little slight or infraction --- as is the way of the world?

.... or are you more offended by your perception that she is actually living-out her faith as she understands it? ...for which you have judged that she is "living in a wonderland" or "being too much of an evangelist(?)"?

Do you even know (or care) what an "evangelist" is/does or what the Bible says about taking others to court? --

https://www.gotquestions.org/what-is-an-evangelist.html

Top 7 Bible Verses About Taking People To Court

Old 01-08-2018, 10:19 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Something wrong when the first thought is to sue someone for a rear-ender....

QUOTE=fleetiebelle;50633147]I've been rear ended, and it never occurred to me to take anything to court. In a basic situation, the person who rear-ends is at fault--you file a police report and the insurance company takes care of it. There's no need to make it more complicated than that.[/quote]

Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
She won't hear from them at all if she doesn't file the claim.

She needs to be proactive and initiate contact.

this ^^^^^^she says she does not know if she will file a claim either she does not feel it is right just for a little bump . a lot more than a lil bump her whole van door is smashed in ....in the back .

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
wow why so much anger in here just forget it . jeeze we saw her van and we asked her if she was okay and her husband asked my husband what he would do and my husband said to talk to his insurance company first and then if they want to low ball the figure then go see an attorney and then husband said no and she said no .But we did stress the fact that she was saying how the insurance would be fair about it , my husband then said well don't expect that . I was just trying to be a good neighbor and make sure she was alright and that she ended up with a vehicle instead of nothing jeezuz I am astounded at such anger directed at me .

Old 01-08-2018, 10:30 AM

304 posts, read 295,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this ^^^^^^she says she does not know if she will file a claim either she does not feel it is right just for a little bump . a lot more than a lil bump her whole van door is smashed in ....in the back .
That's her choice. If she feels she can utilize the van just fine, then so be it. If she wants to blame her imaginary friend on having a damaged vehicle, that's her choice. Mind your own business. Maybe she just doesn't want to discuss these things with a busybody.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:32 AM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
I T-boned someone that pulled out in front of me. It was obviously his fault and I was just happy that 1) he was insured and 2) I didn't kill him. His insurance paid out on every expense I had from that accident, from paying off the truck (I only had 6 months left on the loan) to buying me a new car because my truck was totaled (the engine was pushed so far off its block that the company chose to total the car rather than fix it).

My brother was adamant I sue the driver and was livid when I wouldn't. Had I been seriously hurt, I might have. But I wasn't. And I don't see a car accident as a lotto ticket to getting a big payout. Plus, the kid was a teen driver and you had to know he would be paying higher premiums forever after, or near enough. LOL And I know his parents read him the riot act. I was OK and he was going to be a more careful driver in the future, so things weren't all bad.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
Quote:
Hi my neighbor got rear ended yesterday and she claims that the man told the insurance company it was his fault and that he assured them all would be taken care . She says that she does not take people to court over things because she is a pastor s wife and to do so would go against God . She says God will work it out . I myself think she is living in a wonderland . She nor her husband take people to court . I think this one might be an eye opener for her and if the insurance company decided not to pay wonder what she will do then ? I told to see a lawyer she says no . They will be without a vehicle if the insurance company decides not to pay . my husband also said to her you really should see a lawyer . Again she said no . Did we not give good advice or is she just being stubborn or just such an evangelist that she does not see clearly ?
Moderator cut: delete
She is correct.

The man's insurance company will pay for her damage to her car. Other than that, what damage does she have?

I thoroughly despise people who sue over every little thing. It's one reason everything is so costly these days.

Quote:
wow why so much anger in here just forget it . jeeze we saw her van and we asked her if she was okay and her husband asked my husband what he would do and my husband said to talk to his insurance company first and then if they want to low ball the figure then go see an attorney and then husband said no and she said no .But we did stress the fact that she was saying how the insurance would be fair about it , my husband then said well don't expect that . I was just trying to be a good neighbor and make sure she was alright and that she ended up with a vehicle instead of nothing jeezuz I am astounded at such anger directed at me .
Be a good neighbor and stay out of your neighbor's business. That's what good neighbors do. Hopefully, you can learn from this thread.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-08-2018 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: off topic remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships