Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,133,354 times

Advertisements

Hi my neighbor got rear ended yesterday and she claims that the man told the insurance company it was his fault and that he assured them all would be taken care . She says that she does not take people to court over things because she is a pastor s wife and to do so would go against God . She says God will work it out . I myself think she is living in a wonderland . She nor her husband take people to court . I think this one might be an eye opener for her and if the insurance company decided not to pay wonder what she will do then ? I told to see a lawyer she says no . They will be without a vehicle if the insurance company decides not to pay . my husband also said to her you really should see a lawyer . Again she said no . Did we not give good advice or is she just being stubborn or just such an evangelist that she does not see clearly ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 AM

97 posts, read 104,519 times
Not sure what the big deal is let her live her life the way she wants. You gave advice and she doesn't agree, time to let it go.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,894,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hi my neighbor got rear ended yesterday and she claims that the man told the insurance company it was his fault and that he assured them all would be taken care . She says that she does not take people to court over things because she is a pastor s wife and to do so would go against God . She says God will work it out . I myself think she is living in a wonderland . She nor her husband take people to court . I think this one might be an eye opener for her and if the insurance company decided not to pay wonder what she will do then ? I told to see a lawyer she says no . They will be without a vehicle if the insurance company decides not to pay . my husband also said to her you really should see a lawyer . Again she said no . Did we not give good advice or is she just being stubborn or just such an evangelist that she does not see clearly ?
You gave some practical advice. There's this kind of a saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink." This situation may not be serious enough for her to take action and she's obviously decided she's going to be content with the outcome at this moment.

With that said, could be she may not be able to afford a lawyer.... or something else happened and she's just throwing a story out there.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,486,345 times
I've been rear ended, and it never occurred to me to take anything to court. In a basic situation, the person who rear-ends is at fault--you file a police report and the insurance company takes care of it. There's no need to make it more complicated than that.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,434,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've been rear ended, and it never occurred to me to take anything to court. In a basic situation, the person who rear-ends is at fault--you file a police report and the insurance company takes care of it. There's no need to make it more complicated than that.
That is what I have done. I have never sued anyone over an auto accident...now it would be different if I was badly injured or the insurance wouldn't pay.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,428,705 times
Quote:
^^ This - except that there are missing steps between file a police report and the insurance will take care of it.

Your friend needs to file a claim with the guy's insurance company. Presumably, they exchanged insurance information. She needs to call them up and file the claim.

I've been rear ended a couple of times, and I've never had an issue with the other guy's insurance company paying for the repairs and even paying for a rental while it was in the shop. There's certainly no need to automatically jump to filing a lawsuit.

Even if his insurance were to balk, she should file a claim with her insurance and let the two insurance companies duke it out. That's why we pay premiums!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 AM

9,897 posts, read 7,789,158 times
I've never sued when I got rear-ended either. Just tell her not to settle with the insurance company right away, sometimes the back/neck injuries may not appear for 2-3 days.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 AM

407 posts, read 371,227 times
Quote:
This.

OP - while your advice isn't necessarily wrong, I don't think your neighbor needs to speak to a lawyer at this point. This is a very common type of accident and typically is resolved without a lot of hassle via each party's insurance companies.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,543,185 times
If she is super religious her "yes" means yes and her "no" means no. She said "no" more than once. She is not going to change her mind, and no amount of persuasion will change it.

Just hope the man was telling the truth, but unless there is a police report, there is probably not much she can do about it anyway unless she has the man's name, phone number and Insurance Co. information

Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 AM

24,731 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Going through life looking for something to sue about - ... . You are a neighbor and had your say. Between their insurance company and the other party's insurance company it will take a couple of days to work things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships