Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,536 times

Advertisements

So I have never been in a situation like this. Usually, friendships just die because people move or whatever. Plus it has never happened with somebody I have been very close with.

I am wondering if I should keep making an effort or if I should just call it quits. And if I do decide to call it quits, how I should go about it.

Here is the background. I used to be pretty close friends with my buddy. In many ways, he was like me – very dependable, always on-time, always willing to help. I am the type of person who would rather have 3 friends than 20 acquaintances and I am 100% dedicated to those people. If any of them ever need a favor, I am doing it, regardless of how inconvenient it is. And my friends have mostly been very dependable, too. We are both in the 30-35 years old range.

So my buddy used to be like that, too. However, he started dating this girl 2 years ago and they are now engaged. When she came into the picture, we were all super excited, we welcomed her in etc. However, she never reciprocated the effort and slowly the changes started to emerge. My buddy started to be less and less willing to do stuff. Understandable, you are dating a new person. However, they were not hanging 1x1. They just kept doing all this stuff with her friends and never invite us to anything. Fine, whatever.

But then he started always being late for stuff. Then he started only being able to hang out when it is convenient to him, never willing to go out of his way. Then he basically started hanging out once every couple of months. He has largely become extremely inconsiderate. The other day, he invited me and our other buddy to go see his new house. As we are getting into the car, he texts us and he is like “oh hey, she wants to go to the beach, so we are doing that instead”.

Then the previous month, we were supposed to meet and take the dogs to the beach, but he ignored me all day and at 8 pm he texted me and was like “hey, we just ended up staying home all day”.

I am honestly tired of it. I have told him numerous times that he is acting like a **** and he is like “yeah, you are right, I need to get better at it” but it only gets worse. I don’t need acquaintances. I am just about ready to basically have him out of my life.

But, then I am also wondering how to go about it. he still texts a lot in our common chat room. I don’t want to be dramatic like a high school break-up, but I just kind of want to let him know that the friendship is done.

Finally, I am also pretty religious and I have been taught to forgive. I feel like I have done it multiple times with him and I have just reached my limit, but I want to do the right thing here.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:13 AM

214 posts, read 180,522 times
Have you spoken to him about it?

I always say that if a friendship is causing you any type of stress/emotional issues then it is time to distance yourself. It is very draining to be the only one making an effort to keep it going. I don't think you even need to make it feel like you are withdrawing. I would stop initiating any plans and sit back and see if he makes an effort.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 AM

923 posts, read 527,111 times
Give the guy some time, he's PW'd. Happens to some people.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
And the problem is? Let him know where your group will be and don't wait for him or expect him. Just plan without him. He's moved on.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
And being religious and forgiving doesn't mean you let people continue to use, neglect, and ignore you.

Do what you want to do without him. Either he'll realize he's missing out and step up his game or you all will just drift away. It could be he's trying to extricate himself from this friendship anyway.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
If you make a big production of it, you'll never get your friend back. If you're OK with that, and you want your closure, than tell him how you feel, and tell him you're writing him off.

But personally, I feel like that's being immature and dramatic.

His priorities have changed, and it sounds like he's drifting away. Do what someone else suggested. When events come up, send him an invite, and be happy if he shows up, but don't plan on it.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And the problem is? Let him know where your group will be and don't wait for him or expect him. Just plan without him. He's moved on.
Bingo.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
It sounds like you are being pretty pushy....and honestly to get out of it just stop texting him.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Even long friendships sometimes have an end. People have other interests, people grow apart from each other.

Just move on, no need to make any drama about it. Just let it die naturally...

Old 01-22-2018, 01:22 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Let it go. If he calls or keeps in touch great but otherwise let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships