Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,176,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
... public record stuff...
So ... stuff people can read on other websites???

Online defamation and libel can be difficult to prove. A lot depends on your state's laws and how the posts were worded.

If she posted, "RamonaSun at 123 Main Street is a child abuser..." then you could have a case. If she posted, "I think RamonaSun at 123 Main Street is the worst neighbor in the world ..." then it could technically be classified as an opinion and protected from a libel suit.

But all of that would involve you hiring an attorney and bringing a lawsuit. The police can really only help you if the neighbors are harassing you with unwanted contact.

Your best bet is to get the website admin to remove the posts. Focus on that.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,300,653 times
Quote:
Cant do that. We have been advised by police not to contact one another. They have been nasty since day one.
Take a screen shot of this post...save it for evidence.

Then...Contact the web master of the web page. Usually if you scroll to the bottom you'll see a place to click.

If that doesn't happen....
Someone reviews the posts on that web site....find out who that is....and tell them you'll sue them if your address is not removed.

Then, also contact the police and tell them....It should be part of the paper trail so that if things get worse, you have proof of the things that she is doing.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 AM

29 posts, read 25,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Take a screen shot of this post...save it for evidence.

Then...Contact the web master of the web page. Usually if you scroll to the bottom you'll see a place to click.

If that doesn't happen....
Someone reviews the posts on that web site....find out who that is....and tell them you'll sue them if your address is not removed.

Then, also contact the police and tell them....It should be part of the paper trail so that if things get worse, you have proof of the things that she is doing.
thanks. I have sent the admins messages but they dont respond. I also went to the police this morning. I wonder if the admins are friends with my neighbor. I cant understand why it hasnt been removed yet.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,300,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
If you think that your home address is a secret.....You are really ill informed.

It's public knowledge. Don't think so ?

Driver's licence and vehicle registration contain your home address. Town or city tax rolls. Utility bills. Telephone listings, shall I go on ?

Any person with an interest can find that information easily.

XXX.
You are incorrect.
None of that is the same as someone posting your address on a public website without your permission.

There is actually a name for this...."Doxing" from the link below.."In all cases if you outline the physical location of any individual with the intent to harm, shame, stalk, humiliate, endanger, or otherwise compromise the safety and security of ANY individual you have placed that person in a position of risk and you are in violation of ALL State Stalking laws."

Here is a link.....and part way down the page here is a quote...."Once you outline the address or location of a person, within which a person can be placed at risk, YOU have VIOLATED THE LAW. PERIOD".

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...iate-or-place/

Reading further....it is a Federal crime when it is on the internet. Contact the State Prosecutor or the Feds.

Last edited by JanND; 01-22-2018 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are incorrect.
None of that is the same as someone posting your address on a public website without your permission.

There is actually a name for this...."Doxing" from the link below.."In all cases if you outline the physical location of any individual with the intent to harm, shame, stalk, humiliate, endanger, or otherwise compromise the safety and security of ANY individual you have placed that person in a position of risk and you are in violation of ALL State Stalking laws."

Here is a link.....and part way down the page here is a quote...."Once you outline the address or location of a person, within which a person can be placed at risk, YOU have VIOLATED THE LAW. PERIOD".

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...iate-or-place/

Reading further....it is a Federal crime when it is on the internet. Contact the State Prosecutor or the Feds.
OK so I just got off the phone with an attorney and he said that posting an opinion is not slander and posting my address is not against the law. He was just the first one I spoke to and the one closest to my home so I’m going to try again.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,236,337 times
Quote:
thanks. I have sent the admins messages but they dont respond. I also went to the police this morning. I wonder if the admins are friends with my neighbor. I cant understand why it hasnt been removed yet.

Then find out who the webhost is with Whois service, they usually have an email address to file a complaint against the user of their service. If you are being doxed they may remove it or the user if they don't remove it.

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/...crime-law.html

Last edited by Spuggy; 01-22-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Then find out who the webhost is with Whois service, they usually have an email address to file a complaint against the user of their service. If you are being doxed they may remove it or the user if they don't remove it.
It’s a Facebook community page.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:15 AM

6,586 posts, read 8,455,720 times
Quote:
OK so I just got off the phone with an attorney and he said that posting an opinion is not slander and posting my address is not against the law. He was just the first one I spoke to and the one closest to my home so I’m going to try again.
He could be correct if the comments were posted as an opinion versus a statement as BirdieBelle pointed out in post #21. But I agree it's good to get second/third opinions. I would still have them send a cease and desist letter if they can.

FWIW, slander is verbal defamation and libel is written defamation.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 AM

258 posts, read 349,619 times
Contact the admins and moderators of the social media site and ask them to take down the post as it contains your private personal information. This happens all the time in social media sites and they have a standard playbook on handling these type of posts.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM

Someone sent me a reputation comment saying “lol”

You are sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships