Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 PM

867 posts, read 723,566 times

Advertisements

I have a niece like this, but she's a teenager, so maybe it comes with the territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
I think the most positive trait a friend can have is a natural curiosity about their people. But rarely do I have any contact with people who ask me questions.

Here is an example:

I run into a friend at the store. To start the conversation I ask them some general questions about what they are planning to do this summer. they are quite excited to tell me about their life but don't ask me any questions about my summer plans. So I tell them about them anyway. But I get no follow up questions.

This happens all the time. Is it my fault to expect people I am friendly with to ask questions about me?
In my world this is pretty typical. Most people are interested in themselves, mainly. When you find a friend who is truly interested in you cultivate that friendship and treasure it.

But, mostly, people do talk about themselves, in my experience.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:36 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Do you have friends or relatives you are close with that NEVER ask you any questions?

Yes, all of them. They all prefer to talk about themselves, usually regarding their health or family news, or sometimes about their personal problems. If any of them contact me to ask me questions they are not asking about me or my personal life, they are asking for advice for themselves about subjects that I know a lot about or am considered an expert in.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
As I was reading this thread, some famous words by Eleanor Roosevelt came to mind:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

I’m bored by people who only seem to enjoy talking about their lives and some people in it. Sure, I have some interest but it fades quickly when that’s all they want to talk about. It’s bizarre especially when they go on and on, assuming I’d be fascinated to hear what other people in their life who I’ll probably never met are doing and saying. I lose all desire to talk at all in return.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:18 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I have a niece like this, but she's a teenager, so maybe it comes with the territory.
This struck a chord with me as my mid-20's daughter with three young children NEVER asks anything about my life. I know that young people are self-centered (and so, it seems, are very old people), but it just bothers me a little that she never thinks to ask how my husband and I are or what we've been doing -- and I don't want to say anything to her about that because when I was young, I had a lot of old relatives who were constant complainers in my life, and I certainly don't want to become one of them in my old age!

Old 05-04-2018, 06:47 PM

867 posts, read 723,566 times
I'm sorry to hear that, Katharsis. I can remember my brothers and I, at all ages, talking to our grandparents, either in person or on the phone, and asking about what they had done recently at work or around the house, or about things that had happened in their youth, or about books they'd read.

Could your daughter be overwhelmed with the kids?

Old 05-04-2018, 09:56 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
Some people just aren't that good at small talk. I am one of them. Typically, it is not until after I walk away from a conversation with someone who asked all the questions, that I realize I didn't ask them anything about themselves and then I feel bad.

I am a better participant in a conversation when I have pre-made plans to meet up with friends. In which case, I have already contemplated what I am interested in knowing about them and what they've been up to. For instance, I may think to myself 'I'm meeting up with Jane today, I wonder how her vacation last week was'. However, if I randomly bump into Jane at the supermarket, I'm caught off guard and don't remember to ask about it.
You don't have to remember anything specific to simply ask, "What about you? What have you been up to?" It comes spontaneously to people genuinely interested in their friends. Then she might mention her vaca, and you might say, "OH, right, I meant to ask. you about it! How was it?"

Old 05-05-2018, 09:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
My MIL. In thirty years, she hasn't shown genuine interest in anything about me. But weirdly, despite never having a sustained conversation about anything deeper than the weather at our obligatory holiday get-togethers, she thinks she knows me well. Trust me, she doesn't. She's not a quiet person, and she is capable of maintaining friendships with other people. She just doesn't like me. It used to bother me a lot, but I'm at peace with it. Frankly, I don't really enjoy her company either.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-05-2018 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do you have friends or relatives you are close with that NEVER ask you any questions?
Yes, all of them. They all prefer to talk about themselves, usually regarding their health or family news, or sometimes about their personal problems. If any of them contact me to ask me questions they are not asking about me or my personal life, they are asking for advice for themselves about subjects that I know a lot about or am considered an expert in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
As I was reading this thread, some famous words by Eleanor Roosevelt came to mind:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

I’m bored by people who only seem to enjoy talking about their lives and some people in it. Sure, I have some interest but it fades quickly when that’s all they want to talk about. It’s bizarre especially when they go on and on, assuming I’d be fascinated to hear what other people in their life who I’ll probably never met are doing and saying. I lose all desire to talk at all in return.
^^^agree and at my age not only do I find it rude and inconsiderate but exhausting too.
When these type of people do this I'm usually polite but I want to scream or write
(because it happens on forums also) - "go fascinate or impress someone else."

Old 05-06-2018, 08:59 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
i think people want to sound interesting so they;ll talk about themselves and come up with stories.

kind of like a job interview where you have to sell yourself. they are trying to sell themselves to their friends and make themselves have value in the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships