Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:16 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times

Advertisements

i am engaged, and my fiancée's sister (who is married) does not like me. she doesn't dislike me nor hate me, but she just doesn't care about me. she never asks how i am, she never reaches, never asks about me. when we are together (whether with family or friends), she never talks to me, never includes me in conversations, never even gives eye contact. it's as if i don't even exist. to be honest, it gets awkward at times.

i know in the past when my fiancée and i were just dating (this is years ago), she did complain about my personality. she mentioned how i complain a lot and like to argue. i can see those reasons as being very unfriendly, but times have changed, and we are future in-laws now rather than just "friends". since my fiancée and i have been engaged, i obviously have tried to be more friendly. i would reach out and try to chit chat and build rapport. the conversation ends right when it begins and before i know it she would contact my fiancée asking why i am talking to her cause it's weird

i am a very direct person (hence maybe why she says i like to argue), so should i just confront her and ask why she doesn't like me and what i can do to fix it? my fiancée and her never talk about me (obviously), so fiancée doesn't know, she says i should just reach out if i feel like there's a problem

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 10:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Confronting her will just confirm her opinion of you as somebody who likes to argue. And, it won't work. She will either lie to your face and say she doesn't have a problem with you, or she'll tell you exactly why she doesn't like you, which isn't going to help bring you closer. But, why does she have to? You aren't marrying her, and as long as you can be reasonably cordial to each other during family events, then give up your ideal of a big happy family.

Sometimes it takes years to be comfortable with in-laws, I felt that way about a couple of mine. Now we're quite friendly, but they have been in-laws for decades.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:39 PM

908 posts, read 961,218 times
she doesn't like you. there's very little you can do about that. probably everything you do to reach out to her will be perceived as being annoying by her. just let your relationship with her build naturally. i would not try to reach out to her in any way and DO NOT ask her why she doesn't like you. if someone did that to me, i'd dislike them even more. not all family has to like each other.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
You say "times change" but you're only just now trying to befriend your SIL? Doesn't sound like there's been much time since you've decided to change your approach towards her. Granted, you should've been building something a long while ago.

For her to shut you out like that, I'm wondering if there is perhaps a situation that you need to atone for?

The next time future SIL wonders and complains about you "being weird", your fiancée should at least give her a heads up that you're trying to build a rapport. The SIL can decide then if she wants to meet you or not. Unless there's absolutely no relationship between your fiancée and her sister, I highly doubt your fiancée "doesn't know". I'm sure she knows, but just doesn't want to tell you.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Confronting her will just confirm her opinion of you as somebody who likes to argue. And, it won't work. She will either lie to your face and say she doesn't have a problem with you, or she'll tell you exactly why she doesn't like you, which isn't going to help bring you closer. But, why does she have to? You aren't marrying her, and as long as you can be reasonably cordial to each other during family events, then give up your ideal of a big happy family.

Sometimes it takes years to be comfortable with in-laws, I felt that way about a couple of mine. Now we're quite friendly, but they have been in-laws for decades.
I really dislike my brother in law. I honestly have never wanted to just punch someone right in the face before , but he has no idea or at least he doesn't let on that he knows I don't care for him. Let it go and just be polite to each other; that can be enough .

Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
Maybe she just doesn't like you? I do think civility is a must, but she is probably never going to truly LIKE you, and there isn't much you can do to change that. As long as people are polite and curteous, that is all that is needed. You don't have to be friends.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
She does not like you.
At least now she is being polite (in her eyes) by simply not engaging with you.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
You cannot force everyone to like you. She has made up her mind to be like this so there is nothing you can do to change that. You have tried to reach out to her but she didn't respond so you don't have to give her any more importance than that. Just be civil with her & that's about it. I hope over time she will get used to you & become good friends so give it some time. Some people take time to warm up especially when they had bitter experiences with people in the past. Maybe something in you reminds her of someone from her past who wasn't good to her. Whatever her reasons, she is being immature & you don't need to indulge such people. So stay polite & diplomatic in her company. Engage others in conversations & pay attention to people who are good to you rather than impressing the ones who don't like you. They are not worth your time so ignore them.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i am engaged, and my fiancée's sister (who is married) does not like me. she doesn't dislike me nor hate me, but she just doesn't care about me. she never asks how i am, she never reaches, never asks about me. when we are together (whether with family or friends), she never talks to me, never includes me in conversations, never even gives eye contact. it's as if i don't even exist. to be honest, it gets awkward at times.

i know in the past when my fiancée and i were just dating (this is years ago), she did complain about my personality. she mentioned how i complain a lot and like to argue. i can see those reasons as being very unfriendly, but times have changed, and we are future in-laws now rather than just "friends". since my fiancée and i have been engaged, i obviously have tried to be more friendly. i would reach out and try to chit chat and build rapport. the conversation ends right when it begins and before i know it she would contact my fiancée asking why i am talking to her cause it's weird

i am a very direct person (hence maybe why she says i like to argue), so should i just confront her and ask why she doesn't like me and what i can do to fix it? my fiancée and her never talk about me (obviously), so fiancée doesn't know, she says i should just reach out if i feel like there's a problem

thoughts?

No, just get along with her. Neither one of you needs to "like" each other, just be mature adults and be civil.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,602 times
I agree with the above posters. You can't force someone to like you. Some people don't like people who always has to make their opinion known and confront people who don't agree with them. You say you've changed. Time will tell and maybe if she sees that you have really changed she may warm up to you.

At least she isn't rude, hateful about it. She is just keeping her distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships