Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 PM

6,172 posts, read 4,553,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Famous urban myth.
The famous urban myth went through four years of college with my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,051,921 times
I remember my 8th grade science teacher telling us how she decided not to take her husbands last name. Her first name was Fern. His last name was Plant. She said as much as she loved her husband, she couldn't go through life with the name Fern Plant.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,051,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The famous urban myth went through four years of college with my friend.
Did she also go to college with Orange Jello, Lemon Jello, Chlamydia, Vagina, and La-e?
A properly folkloric version of the fuh-MALL-ee tale would have it that the parents saw the “name” on the baby’s bracelet. Not being able to read well, they sounded it out badly, it fell on their ears prettily, and thus Baby was named. Alternatively, they interpreted what was written on the bracelet as the hospital having already named their child and the matter now being out of their hands.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/funny-names/

Old 07-17-2018, 08:54 PM

769 posts, read 720,545 times
My sister’s friend, Sandy, refused to marry her boyfriend because his last name was Beach.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,448,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
My sister’s friend, Sandy, refused to marry her boyfriend because his last name was Beach.
Could have been Crack.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 PM

6,489 posts, read 6,700,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Did she also go to college with Orange Jello, Lemon Jello, Chlamydia, Vagina, and La-e?
A properly folkloric version of the fuh-MALL-ee tale would have it that the parents saw the “name” on the baby’s bracelet. Not being able to read well, they sounded it out badly, it fell on their ears prettily, and thus Baby was named. Alternatively, they interpreted what was written on the bracelet as the hospital having already named their child and the matter now being out of their hands.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/funny-names/
Some of these names may have started out as urban legends, but very well could have ended up in actual use.

I wanted this thread just to be fun and for discussing how people with unusual names feel about them. If someone posts that they know someone named La-a or Female or Talula Does the Hulu from Hawaii, it does not enhance the spirit of this thread to say that poster is lying.

Disclaimer: I do not personally know Talulu Does the Hulu from Hawaii, so here is a source:
NZ judge backs girl over 'embarrassing' name - CNN.com

Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,100,859 times
My mother went to school with a girl named Sally Sloppy. She was the first girl who married out of HS.

I went to school with a girl named Sandy Bietch, pronounced Beach. You've got to wonder why parents would do that to a kid.

ETA: LOL. I posted before I saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post

Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Some of these names may have started out as urban legends, but very well could have ended up in actual use.

I wanted this thread just to be fun and for discussing how people with unusual names feel about them. If someone posts that they know someone named La-a or Female or Talula Does the Hulu from Hawaii, it does not enhance the spirit of this thread to say that poster is lying.
Well, you did request--in the opening post--that people avoid urban legends and mention only people whom they had actually known. "My friend went to school with a friend..." doesn't qualify. In fact, it is exactly how these myths get started. But. As you say, back to the topic.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,907,861 times
I've known a few with some odd names.

I went to school with a girl named Star Nightime in junior high. In high school, there was a girl named Cookie (real name, not a nickname) and a boy named Sue--he was named after the famous Johnny Cash song. A realtor named Kathy Condom sold our house in South Carolina and I once interviewed with a Francesca Fatti.

My younger sister was friends with two sisters who were named Cinderella and Minnie from parents who were crazy about Disney. The sisters formerly known as Cinderella and Minnie have both changed their names and are known as Cynthia and Melissa today.

My last name can be made into funny words if abbreviated but my first name is very common.

DD had a Jupiter, Hoover and Lamp in her class. DD has a unique name but I wouldn't have named her after a vacuum or a piece of furniture...

Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,537,140 times
I worked at a waterpark with a girl named Sunshine Paradis when we were teenagers. She liked her name and was very cheerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships