Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,962,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Honestly, none of these really bother me. If I like the person and enjoy their company I don't mind talking about their life, and if that includes their kids, their vacations,the game last week, their job, home renovations, so what?

People talk about what's going on in their lives. Guess I am not sure what people should talk about? Just the weather?
You can safely talk about your grandmother's kitchen and what came out of it! (see upthread posts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 12:04 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,795,052 times
I had a good laugh reading through this thread and giving out reps left and right.

I will add: the roads that you took to get to your destination as well as the traffic/tolls. Don't go on and on about all the alternate transportation/roads that you could/would take.

The He said, blah, blah, and then she said, blah, blah type of storytelling drives me crazy more than anything.

A play by play of the current book that you are reading. Then ending the speech with "that's what I've read so far."

Your pets from the past, present, future and all their names.

The same stories over and over again. Events that happened 20 years ago and reciting them endlessly. People who can't remember what they told and to whom. My limit is to hear the same story 3 times. After that, I do not restrain myself from interrupting and finishing the story for the person to make them shut up.

Details about TV shows and movies that I've never seen and have no interest in seeing or will never see because of lack of access. Just recommend what you like. One of my friends is into true crime/murder. She insists in going into every detail of the "case," as if she were Sherlock Holmes. She knows I hate this stuff, but she keeps telling me in detail about books, TV shows, movies that she watches about murders and conspiracy theories.

I can listen to anyone about anything in moderation, but please know your audience/listener. If they don't have a similar experience/frame of reference/background, don't ramble on endlessly. If they have never met the person that you are talking about, keep it short. For some people it seems more important that they get out the words rather than to actually communicate something. Please, summarize and stick to the main points, as if you were taking a test and had to pick the best choice for the main idea of the above paragraph.

Last edited by Coney; 09-02-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 12:08 PM

16,447 posts, read 12,635,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Honestly, none of these really bother me. If I like the person and enjoy their company I don't mind talking about their life, and if that includes their kids, their vacations,the game last week, their job, home renovations, so what?

People talk about what's going on in their lives. Guess I am not sure what people should talk about? Just the weather?

I think the objection isn't so much the topics, as the lack of consideration of the audience. I don't mind hearing about my friends' kids. It's natural that they would talk about them. But if they monopolize the conversation with discussion of their kids, or constantly bring them up to the exclusion of any other topics, knowing that I'm not a parent and really have nothing to contribute to a discussion of classroom issues or playground politics, that just tells me that they don't want to talk WITH me, just AT me.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 PM

10,984 posts, read 7,528,884 times
I think my biggest issue is when they ignore not so subtle clues that I'd like to be a participant instead of an audience. Like when I start to say something and they talk right over me. I finally just turned and walked away from one guy who did that a lot. He got the message and doesn't talk over me any more.

So I tried it with a woman who was always going on about her alternative health cures. She followed me around, telling my back all about the time she ate nothing but grapes for four months. Aaaaauuggghhh!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM

12,174 posts, read 8,557,024 times
I love talking about health issues.

But I don't like to listen to anyone complaining about their health.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:33 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,397,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
In my day-to-day world, second only to what someone's grandchild is doing, is what someone's PET is doing! I don't give a crap about your dog or cat's antics, so please for the love of God SPARE me! My last boss thought it was incredibly funny to show her poop-filled shoes after her dog had left her a little "present" in them! Really? After the "presents" persisted, I would show that dog the door to the nearest animal pound!

Third would be your reality show or celebrity worship. I don't follow celebrities, they don't care about me, I don't care about them, and here's a wake up call for you - They don't care about YOU either! Get a life!

Whew - I feel better now.
Cruel and stupid, because the cause of that is a lack of training by the owner.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:35 PM

I hate to hear people talk about sports. I'm not 6 years old, so who cares what is going on in sports at all. Grow up!

Old 09-02-2018, 12:37 PM

People talking about drinking. How drunk they got, how drunk they will get, and what their favorite bar is. Don't even realize they have a problem. I know this couple, they have a drink with every meal except breakfast. It's totally gross.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:45 PM

People who talk about the divorce they are going through, or about what their "ex" is doing. Equally, talking about what a loser their wife's ex-husband was.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:11 PM

4,205 posts, read 3,435,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Please name some. I'll list one myself soon. Let's exclude discussions just between members of the immediate family.
I was about to say, There are no boring topics, only boring people.

But this thread has reminded me that I was wrong!

Sports? I love them, fine. But please...I do NOT care about your co-workers and their drama, nor your progeny, people I've never met, shows I don't watch, medical procedures, and diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships