Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM

596 posts, read 891,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That doesn't sound interesting to me. It sounds like a C-D Relationships forum troll topic, lol.

Sorry SactoGirl--I love your posts, didn't mean to shoot you down.

Haha, maybe I will start a thread like that! Maybe in Great Debates!

The conversation veered in different directions, but the point was that it wasn't the usual weather/sports/tv small talk we usually engage in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 12:42 PM

4,076 posts, read 2,164,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
When I was young (high school/college age), I used to imagine being a "grown up" and going to cocktail and dinner parties and having fascinating conversations about capital-L life. Imagine my disappointment when I began to attend adult social functions, and everyone was talking "the game," and if there was a t.v. around, they were also watching it. It was different in the movies. :-/

Same thing for me regarding college! I imagined sitting around in berets discussing existential philosophy and obscure French movies...and it turned out to be just a bunch of young adults, not intellectuals, talking about sports, drinking, and just mundane things. It's true that I didn't go to a top college---it was just a small state college, but I'm not sure that even the Ivy League schools would have provided better conversation.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,626,061 times
I have a co-worker who is constantly sharing the details of her fit-bit....hours slept, calories eaten, steps taken, etc.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:20 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,232,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have a co-worker who is constantly sharing the details of her fit-bit....hours slept, calories eaten, steps taken, etc.
https://youtu.be/-m4IIEbeN1Y

Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,678,826 times
I think the thing is when socializing - is to pay attention.

Does the person listening seem uninterested or are they trying to change the subject ?!

If someone is talking about a subject that you don't care about or know nothing about, then at least listen, show some interest especially if it's important to the person talking.
They may really want to share with you this place they traveled to and want to tell you about it.

Even if you're uninterested show the same respect as you would want if you're talking about something, while important and interesting to you, it may not be to others.

Again pay attention to the social cues.

What I can't stand the most, my ex did this frequently, if I was telling him something that was important to me and he didn't want to listen as soon as I was finished speaking - he immediately went in to a totally different subject and wanted my full attention and feedback.

I told him I'm not going to listen to many things you talk about mainly because I'm not interested, but more importantly you do not show the same respect & consideration.

I didn't realize how I started tuning him out when he was speaking and when he brought it to my attention, I said, you know I kinda thought I was tuning you out, it just happened naturally, good for me.

In general - Can't stand listening non-stop about kids. I'll ask, how are you ? The response is non-stop talking about their kids ?!

Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 PM

1,097 posts, read 590,170 times
Here are a couple more. These aren't so much specific topics as things some people do that can derail my enjoyment of a conversation.

First is when someone introduces a somewhat obscure topic or offbeat way of thinking, then appears incredulous that others are not of the same mindset. Like an engineering-type who suggests a solution to problem based on science principles that most people don't think about, then expresses great surprise that anyone had the problem to begin with. Or someone who loves to cook and knows a lot about food looking at her friends sideways because they didn't recognize the obscure ingredients she just mentioned.

Second is when people who've never had to deal with a particular issue diminish it in the company of those who do. Say you've had to wear prescription glasses for decades and one day you make a comment about how much they cost. Your friend, who's very tight with money and has considerably good vision for his age, goes on to mention all the reasons he'd never set foot in an eye doctor's office.

(Why yes, all of these examples are based on reality, why do you ask?)

Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,104,946 times
I have a friend who is highly intellectual, Jewish, sharp as a tack, 60 years old but always very into the latest current events and politics. She claims that she can complete the daily New York Times crossword puzzle sometimes in (10 or 12?) minutes. I consider myself pretty intellectual, but can never even figure a single word of the puzzle. Anyhow, she once posted on Facebook, a graphic picture of her x-rayed Eye. Too much information ! !

I also saw someone else, post on Facebook a "Go Fund Me" appeal for donations to cover surgery for their CAT. Think I'll pass on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships