Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 12:25 AM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Agreed. I have always found people who go on and on about their health issues to be very self-focused. I HATE going to the doctor, but it seems to me that some people actually enjoy it and will run in for an appointment at the slightest sniffle, carrying around a pharmacy of meds for all kinds of ailments that could mostly be alleviated with a little more physical activity and a lot less eating of crap for food.
I hate that! It's so boring and so self-centered. The last thing I want to talk about is my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
Minutia -- people who tell a story and obsess about some stupid detail that is not at all pertinent to the story. "was it noon or 1:00" "Wait, maybe it was Thursday, not Friday?" Ugh.

Repeat stories -- I've heard this story. I've told you that I have heard this story before. They insist on continuing to tell you the same stupid story. Grr.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
What's with some older people who completely dominate the conversation. I know three men and one woman who are like this. They can talk literally for hours. They do not allow anyone to speak. They hold the floor and that's that. We had one of them ruin a Thanksgiving dinner because he wouldn't stop talking. Our sons were home for just a few days and they never got to say anything. Needless to say, the guy was never invited back to our house. He's insufferable, as are the others I know who are like this. ALL of their conversation is about themselves. They don't care about anyone else, other than for an audience. Why do they do it? They can't think it impresses anyone. It's awful. I literally run away if I see these people coming because I know I'll be trapped with them.
The people that complain the most about old people and their conversation are other old people. I live in a 55+. You don't think we hate to run into certain people and their latest ailments?

After years of conversation and facilitating a group for a while I've found that a person without a love of history or ideas are terrible at conversation.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:16 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
- Sports (my eyes glaze over)
- Politics (please no - I've deleted numerous friends from Facebook because of it)
- Your latest illness or operation

Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
What's with some older people who completely dominate the conversation. I know three men and one woman who are like this. They can talk literally for hours. They do not allow anyone to speak. They hold the floor and that's that. We had one of them ruin a Thanksgiving dinner because he wouldn't stop talking. Our sons were home for just a few days and they never got to say anything. Needless to say, the guy was never invited back to our house. He's insufferable, as are the others I know who are like this. ALL of their conversation is about themselves. They don't care about anyone else, other than for an audience. Why do they do it? They can't think it impresses anyone. It's awful. I literally run away if I see these people coming because I know I'll be trapped with them.

I think it's because they are lonely and don't have anybody to talk to in their lives. These people you are referring to are they divorced or widowed? I had a snowbird neighbor like this. After a while I just had to stop seeing her because while she was droning on and on in my head I was thinking "please stop talking already before I scream".

Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
I think some older people are very lonely and they have no one to talk to. When they get an audience, they just overflow, so to speak. I’ve also had this experience with someone who was cognitively impaired, newly bereaved and lonely. It sounds as if your guest might be self centered and if he lives by himself, he has few occasions to interact with people. I do agree that people like that can wear one’s patience thin.

Sometimes some people never learn how to converse; they only know how to talk.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Sports - Nope. Not interested. There is only one sport and it's hockey. Outside of that... nope.
Politics - Even if I agree with you, it's fatiguing honestly. Just how much outrage can a person take?
Weather - Yes, it is hot/cold/wet/windy/blah/blah/blah.
Your kids school/teacher - Sorry your kid has a crappy teacher... but do you have to talk about it for an hour every time we see one another? You're just going to transfer to another school or move up a grade and that teacher wont be any better for your precious little cherub.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:59 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

After years of conversation and facilitating a group for a while I've found that a person without a love of history or ideas are terrible at conversation.
Yes, and are boring in general. Unfortunately, I find that's MOST people!

Also, too many people are sheep-like "followers". They are do whatever the mainstream crowd does, they buy what they think everyone else buys, they say and think what they hear others say and think, They're trying to keep up on the latest this and that trend and follow the "Joneses", they're super into their Facebook posts, just no independent thought whatsoever. They are also the most boring conversationalists, to me, because I loathe all of that "plastic" crap.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
If anyone else here plays poker: bad beat stories. Because you're the first person who's ever lost a hand when you were initially favored to win it. People act like 25% shots are 1% or rarer....

On a similar note, anything mundane or relatively mundane where people overrate the unlikelihood of its occurrence.

It's also always amazed me how many people fail to notice/predict a lack of interest on the other party's part for a given topic...if I talk about *anything* for say 20 seconds, I assume it's time to change the subject unless the other person's response or body language indicates otherwise.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
childhood athletics, discussing a child's involvement or performance in kid athletic teams, or kid sports in general and/or coaching of - and talk (some boasting) of parental attendance

though I know the purpose, positives, development of a child's character, physical dexterity, ability to succeed, social involvement, and many people do care about it especially, of course, some parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships