Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:52 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Must be something of a regional thing. Where I am, the vast majority of non-white folks are black. The number of Latino, Middle Eastern, and Asian folks is quite small by comparison.
And here in the Bay Area, it's the exact opposite! Our smallest population (not including worldwide tiny populations like Indigenous & Pacific Islander) is Black, with the largest being Asian and Latino - maybe equally divided between those two + Caucasian, depending on the city.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,836,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm kind of excited because I don't want to be friends with many people. I am in my 40s now and I have never had a black friend. I realize race doesn't make you like someone. But I still never had a black friend. Anyway, I have known this lady for like 4 years and we hung out with a mutual friend today. I hadn't seen her in a couple years. We sort of hit it off in a way that we just like hanging out. She told our mutual friend that she liked hanging out with me because I was so laid back. I thought same. I guess it's odd I'm excited about it. It's probably more that I don't like a lot of people and we get along.
Bwahahaha. Try the grape drink, it's good.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I find the whole concept of never having had a black friend and then telling the world about it when having one very strange, but yes this seems very much an aspect of American culture I don’t relate to.
It's because we're awesome. Everybody who's anybody has a black friend, super cool status.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You should ask her if you can touch her hair.
The answer is "no", too much money went in to it.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
+1, really weird.

So why point it out? Were you expecting something different and are surprised?

Because oftentimes, it is different. Black people have a culture that is different. That’s not only ok to recognize, but good. And many have had different experiences than white people. That’s also good to recognize and understand.

Anyway, I guess…good job? It…um, really makes you a good person?

See? I don't even know what to say.
I really don't either. But I am the black friend.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,537,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
The answer is "no", too much money went in to it.
I know the answer is no. I was trying to make a point.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You may not have experienced how difficult it can be for a white person to make friends with a Black person. Some of the cynical comments here demonstrate the kinds of attitudes you will have to face to show a genuine interest and friendliness.

I haven't found it easy where I live. Other places I've lived have been easier. And when it was easier for me there was a feeling of gratitude that it was easier. That might be something Black people don't know about those of us who would like to make friends with them.

I'm somewhat envious of those of you who have had your lives saturated with diversity and don't find it remarkable. Maybe that means progress is being made.
Hmm. I guess it's weird to some based off where they live and how they've grew up. I didn't think it was weird until I kept reading. We don't have any intell on the OP though, just a modicum of info that is they having a black friend and it rather be impressive to achieve such a feat. You can find all kinds here in louisville. Everywhere. For the most part I try and stay away from the other locql black people, lol. Having a black friend might be something for some, for others it may be like being on Sheena12s friendslist. Oh and a; whassup to the rest of the Sheena12 fan club. Nife to see yall.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
You may have been communicating with a Black person on City Data and not even know it on these threads! They are quite normal people with the same interests and concerns as other races.

Lets all take care not to generalize anything about Black people. They come in all colors, intellects, and socio-economic statuses. Some are half White. Even black millionaires are on C-D.
Them black millionaires on here need.to help a brothah out. I don't need.much, just enough to fix my car. Gotta keep hope alive.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 PM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
I wouldn't put my money on Felix being allowed to bring potato salad to the cook out any time soon.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I wouldn't put my money on Felix being allowed to bring potato salad to the cook out any time soon.
Not with marshmellows and raisins in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships