Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,486,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you want to think that, but most people don't consider their sexuality to be a choice that they decide on each day. I don't know anyone who feels that way.
Right, and in fact this flies in the face of "homosexuality is not a choice-- I was born this way." So is OP saying Millennials disregard the notion of sexual orientation being pre-programmed from birth?

Because I have seen a lot of people shredded on these forums for saying it's a choice to be gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Try hiring or managing millennial's. As a hiring manager, it is one of the most difficult "groups" to deal with. GenX doesn't need to be babysat, are independent and get stuff done. They tend to not complain while doing it too. They don't want to talk things to death. Also don't do one project and instantly think they should be getting a raise.

My impression of millennial's is we have replaced wisdom and common sense with intelligence. Super smart but do not seem to know anything.

My husband tends to eschew generalizations -- and after managing a group of Millennials for 2 years he said he would be happy to never hire one again. For him that is saying a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,917,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Right, and in fact this flies in the face of "homosexuality is not a choice-- I was born this way." So is OP saying Millennials disregard the notion of sexual orientation being pre-programmed from birth?

I never said that. I said that millennials believe that sexuality is a value on the Kinsey scale and that the value can change through the lifetime of a person. If you don't know what I mean, watch the movie. But I can explain simply that 0 is fully gay and 10 is fully straight. Millennials believe that people can be 3.5 (65% of sexual encounters are gay, 35% are straight) when they are 20 and a 6.5 (65% of sexual encounters are straight, 35% are gay) when they are 70.

They also believe that people can change sexuality rapidly. For instance, perhaps there is a gal that is 5.0 on the Kinsey scale, who equally likes men and women. Then let's say she is raped. At that point she may decide to be 0.0 on the Kinsey scale and only date women.

It's ludicrous to think that major events in your life can keep you exactly the same. For instance, I used to be very introverted in my 20's but now I'm more extroverted than introverted. I started by forcing myself but now it comes natural. People's personalities are not hard coded into stone.

So yes a gay guy that likes other guys when he's 20, you can't change his likes. But ... when he's 70 he may become more straight than he was when he was 20. Or he may not. But we MUST allow the possibility that he MAY change.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,147,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They also believe that people can change sexuality rapidly. For instance, perhaps there is a gal that is 5.0 on the Kinsey scale, who equally likes men and women. Then let's say she is raped. At that point she may decide to be 0.0 on the Kinsey scale and only date women.
I don't believe trauma changes your orientation. It can change your behavior, sure, for self-preservation purposes or what-have-you, but I don't see how it changes your orientation. The only people I've ever known who believed that were far older than millennials. Which is not to say that a majority of older folks feel that way.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,486,508 times
Quote:

Hmmm. This argument supports ideas that you probably don't want supported.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,053,469 times
Quote:
I never said that. I said that millennials believe that sexuality is a value on the Kinsey scale and that the value can change through the lifetime of a person.
No, millennials don't believe that. Do some people? Yes, I'm sure your new millinial friend believes such things. But just because this one person has this theory, doesn't make it a millennial idea. We are not all connected to one hive mind that tells us how to think, how to act, and what to believe. Stop thinking that your new millinial friend speaks for an entire generation of people.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,206,008 times
Quote:
That being said, most people use these "broad strokes" because it conveys some aspects of a person's personality. For instance, a 77 year old Greatest Generation woman doesn't have a lot in common with a 27 year old Millennial. Is it because of age? Life experiences? Or just because they are different individuals. A straight man may not be 100% straight or a gay man 100% gay but the terms gay and straight can convey some aspects about them.
Your 77-year-old woman was born in 1941, about the time that the U.S. entered World War II.

The "Greatest Generation" is regarded to be people who lived through the Depression and fought in World War II or labored in the war effort at home. Born in 1924 or earlier, the "Greatest Generation" has largely died off, my parents included, who, if alive, would be hovering around the 100-year mark now.

You may want to recalibrate what generation your parents belong to.

Just as you are recalibrating some of your assumptions about people.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:28 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,962,910 times
Quote:
I said understood not accepted. The movie Kinsey is a good example.
I can't say this for certain, as I'm an older millennial who did not live through the time in question, but I doubt Kinsey's ideas were 'widely understood if not accepted' during Kinsey's own time. The guy lived from 1894-1956, so it's not as if he were even alive for the 'enlightened' '60s/'70s.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I don't know why. I am a Millennial and dealing with most Millennials is a pain. The Millennial generation is known for its flakiness, self-centeredness, and sense of entitlement.
Yeah, I'm with you--I mean, to some extent I endorse negative stereotyping of my own generation.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Some Baby Boomers are great, and some suck.
Some Gen Xers are great, and some suck.
Some Millennials are great, and some suck.
Some Gen Zers will be great, and some will suck.

It really boils down to: Some people are great, and some people suck.
What's truly going to suck is when we have to reset the alphabet post-Gen Z. Or buy another 20 years or so by finding a generational nickname that's widely adopted enough to make people forget we're onto generation Z+1, generation Z+2, etc

Old 09-20-2018, 03:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,917,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Hmmm. This argument supports ideas that you probably don't want supported.
What would those ideas be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships