Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 06:54 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing my girlfriend, who has lupus and cannot work, for about six months now. She's living with her parents.

When I first started talking to her back in March, she had no cell phone. I bought her an older iPhone and a month's service for her birthday in April. I figured her parents would take over the $35/month Straight Talk plan at some point. They never have.

While I don't expect them to pay for everything for her that we do together, they've never once even given her $5 or $10 to help me out, offered to take us out to eat, or anything. The expenses are beginning to add up. I'm buying the bulk of her groceries. I'm buying her clothes - some really needed, some discretionary. Every meal out goes on my credit card. It's probably at least a couple hundred dollars a month at this point, and a large part of that is for truly needed items. Her family never takes her to the grocery store, out shopping, or out to do anything but go to the doctor really.

She is close to being able to walk and drive again after a hip replacement surgery last week. Her car is inoperable. No one in the family drove the car this past year since she's been unable to walk. I drove it a month ago after jumping it off, but it's going to need at least tires and a battery. I had over $1,000 of auto work this month myself and don't need another big bill. The parents let the car get in this shape by being too stupid to drive and maintain it.

The thing is that they can afford to help out. They spent Labor Day week in Florida. They just bought her brother, who is 20, healthy, and working, a fairly new car. Her dad is going to Greece for two weeks next week. There is plenty of money sloshing around.

I'm drawing the line in the sand on the car. I'm not fixing it. I'm going to keep the cell phone plan going, but the rest of this stuff is getting cut out. How would you approach them on this?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:01 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,468,542 times
Here we go again with the whining about money.
If you don’t want to pay for things, don’t. Nobody is forcing you to take this girl out.
BTW why did you “figure” the parents would voluntarily take over their daughters phone payments? Didn’t you discuss it with anyone?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
She has no income? Not even some kind of disability/social security type thing?

What did she do before you came along?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:12 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
She has no income? Not even some kind of disability/social security type thing?

What did she do before you came along?
She was working until last year. She's applied for disability, but it's on appeal and hasn't received it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Here we go again with the whining about money.
If you don’t want to pay for things, don’t. Nobody is forcing you to take this girl out.
BTW why did you “figure” the parents would voluntarily take over their daughters phone payments? Didn’t you discuss it with anyone?
I assumed they'd be willing to help. A $35/month plan from Straight Talk is nothing when you're jetting off to Greece for two weeks.

I'm just perplexed they've never even given her some small amount of money at some point to help out, or offer to take us out to eat. SOMETHING.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 09-28-2018 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 07:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
You should not approach them. It will do no good.

This is the thread where way back in March, in posts 27 and 30, I told you this would happen:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...lick-well.html

I can't link to the original posts because the thread was locked. But you willingly walked into this situation, and you continue to stay there voluntarily.

You ignored good advice, and you made assumptions about her family that proved to be inaccurate. You don't have to pay for anything. You choose to.

Stop shaming them for being who they are. They didn't ask you to come in and "save" their daughter. You're doing it all by choice. SO either keep it up or stop.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
How old is she (edit, I looked at the other thread and realize she's 22 or 23 and obviously an adult)? I'm guessing she's an adult. Does she live with her parents rent free? If so, it sounds like her parents are already helping her out more so than you are. You can choose to do more for her or not. Why on earth would you feel the need to confront her parents? They are free to help her or not as well as you are.

On a side note, their vacations are none of your damn business. I'm sure they've worked hard all of their lives to take those vacations. Get a grip man.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:50 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
You are the BF. You cannot and should not try to tell her parents how to spend their money. Even most adult children do not tell their parents how to spend money. If they did, she would already have her financial needs met.

Either stop supporting her or quite complaining about it. It's your decision to give her money that is making you miserable.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:09 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Maybe you are one of those guys that likes to save people. Gives you a feeling of being helpful?

Try doing it anonymously. Do not get personally involved. By this I mean help through organizations by volunteering your time.

You cannot help everyone. Her parents were obviously supporting her before you showed up. She will be okay.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:12 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I assumed they'd be willing to help. A $35/month plan from Straight Talk is nothing when you're jetting off to Greece for two weeks.

I'm just perplexed they've never even given her some small amount of money at some point to help out, or offer to take us out to eat. SOMETHING.
It's not your place to decide how they spend their money. They probably realize that if they start paying for things for her now, they always will. They're giving her a free place to stay. And if you weren't in the picture, I doubt they would let her starve. But beyond that, they're being careful about how much they give her. I can't blame them.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
The truth is going to hurt.

Why should the parents spend any money on their daughter when they found a chump who is willing to do it for them?

IMHO, unless she is the woman that you plan to marry and spend the next 50 to 60 years loving, caring for and supporting stop paying her bills! Stop paying her cell phone bill! Stop buying her groceries! Stop buying her clothes! And, for the love of God, do NOT pay for her car repairs!

If you want to spend time with her start to go to free concerts in the park or to other free activities. Go to the library and read the magazines. Stop taking her to restaurants and just prepare a picnic lunch and eat it on a picnic table in a park, or even in car or apartment.

Frankly, are you really sure that you even want to with a woman who allows herself to be supported by a boyfriend? Aren't those women at the minimum Sugar Babies or Gold Diggers or at the worse just hookers? (of course, it is different if you are married and one of the couple is a stay at home spouse, but they are going their share by caring for the house and children. But you aren't married).

Sheesh. Grow up.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-28-2018 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships