Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 02:34 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
He said it is a charter school, which is a public school of choice. It does receive public money.
Ah. Thanks!

So they now have grounds to turn it into a separation issue.

I wouldn't, but they have the right.

So OP? You gonna report this?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-23-2018, 02:47 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,553,442 times
"Maybe we shouldn't play religious music, we wouldn't want parents to complain about us."
"Let's take turns picking music."

I like the classical music suggestion. "I've heard that classical music is soothing to [insert group here]."

Or change the station and as she reaches for the button, say, "touch it and die."

Old 09-23-2018, 02:54 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,703,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
So this thread is about talking down about religion and christianity.

Okay got it.
This thread is about religion not being appropriate in a school that receives public funds. How is that so hard to understand?

Old 09-23-2018, 02:55 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,206,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
What would Jesus do??
He'd ask that Nickelback and Rush be given equal time to be hated.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:00 PM

Well, if we are going to eliminate all offensive (discriminatory) music, you best stick with classical.

Most pop is about sex.

Rock is mostly about drugs and sex.

Rap is about lots of female degradation, drugs and violence.

Heck, even a retro pop piece of fluff like Afternoon Delight is about sex.

So almost nothing is appropriate, but maybe sappy love songs.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, if we are going to eliminate all offensive (discriminatory) music, you best stick with classical.

Most pop is about sex.

Rock is mostly about drugs and sex.

Rap is about lots of female degradation, drugs and violence.

Heck, even a retro pop piece of fluff like Afternoon Delight is about sex.

So almost nothing is appropriate, but maybe sappy love songs.

There are 39 volumes of Kidz Bop that would work just fine. And the passengers would probably love it.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There are 39 volumes of Kidz Bop that would work just fine. And the passengers would probably love it.
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

Well, I don't actually know what that is, or the age of the kids on board, but it seems like the most appropriate.

And it would be easy to sell the others on it. "We are here for the kids, and not to pick music for ourselves."

Old 09-23-2018, 03:13 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,738,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This thread is about religion not being appropriate in a school that receives public funds. How is that so hard to understand?
Because to me and a few others, OP, has an agenda. He's acting as if she's personal trying to attack him with her "repugnant" music. And to me he's being over dramatic.

If you don't see it that way, fine. We all have our opinions. There is a very simple solution to this petty problem.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:16 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,076,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Hello all,

I work at this special education school and part of the job requires driving students from home to school. I pick up 6 students (severely autistic) with 2 other staff members. On the way, the radio is always on usually playing music. I was recently put on a new route with 2 girls I had never worked with before. One morning, I hear music with lyrics mention how great Jesus was. I was like "WTF?!". One of the co-worker had tuned in the Christian radio station without asking anyone if it was ok. The other girl seemed to be fine with it. For an hour straight, the radio in the van kept spitting tasteless evangelical music. I though I was going to lose my mind. I'm not Christian and I find Christian music lame. Sorry it is offends some people but those are my personal opinions.

I was bothered but I didn't say anything, hoping it would not happen again. I was wrong. Every morning it has been the same thing. It really bothers me to have Jesus stuff rubbed on my face. The institution is a charter school funded with public money, the van belongs to the school. What if I was playing satanic death metal ? What if someone else was playing Islamic chants? I don't want to make it a bigger deal than it really is, but I think that woman should know better. I think it is rude, inconsiderate and inappropriate to other staff members, and those students.

How would you handle this?
Find a way to dismantle the radio. Problem solved. Of course, she will probably start singing those offensive christian songs and then you would have to go to level two. Dismantling her vocal chords.

Kidding. Wear earplugs.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,703,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Because to me and a few others, OP, has an agenda. He's acting as if she's personal trying to attack him with her "repugnant" music. And to me he's being over dramatic.

If you don't see it that way, fine. We all have our opinions. There is a very simple solution to this petty problem.
This is not about an opinion. This is about religion staying out of publicly funded schools. It doesn’t matter how *you* feel. People send their children to public schools with the expectation that religion- any type of religion- will stay out of it. This is particularly the case when the children in case have a disability and may not be able to express their preferences about the music in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships