Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
You don't seem to get the dynamic is different, because of the racial minority context

By joking about it. Which is not very funny.
I agree. Those of us who have never lived as minorities in the midst of a dominant majority, to which we seem not to belong, cannot understand how it feels to be constantly assumed to be foreign, not quite belonging. But we should try to understand. I agree; this is sensitive, and not a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:05 PM

587 posts, read 424,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree. Those of us who have never lived as minorities in the midst of a dominant majority, to which we seem not to belong, cannot understand how it feels to be constantly assumed to be foreign, not quite belonging. But we should try to understand. I agree; this is sensitive, and not a joke.
A refreshing take on this... contrary to the handful on here that probably realized they got their foot stuck in their mouth

Old 11-26-2018, 11:18 PM

587 posts, read 424,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Well, I guess you should have slammed it on him. That'll show 'em.
You were instigating, by trying to cast light on a previous encounter that involved someone with a NEGATIVE intention (like you had with your remarks) which is irrelevant to the encounter of this post

Old 11-27-2018, 01:06 AM

779 posts, read 472,819 times
To play the devil's advocate, why should he have assumed you spoke english?

Old 11-27-2018, 01:26 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,939,135 times
OP my wife has this happen to her frequently. She's Korean-American, and speaks only English. We live in an area with a high population of various Asian ethnicities. Several times a week she tells me of people attempting to speak Chinese with her only to get upset when she cannot speak it back. I know she's tired of it.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,576 times
Quote:
Yesterday I held the door for this white man and he said "Xie Xie" (Chinese for thank you) and then when I had no response and no reaction, he said "Arigato" (Japanese)

Now I don't speak either language, I was aware of those greetings as many people who don't speak the language do, as others understand "Bonjour" etc. But just because I was Asian, he ASSUMED that I spoke the language. I am Chinese-American but that does not necessarily mean I speak Chinese or any other languages, just based on my race.

THEN, when I had no reaction again, he said "Are you Filipino"?!

I said "No I am not and you have been wrong!"

This is almost an opposite situation from the recent run ins I've had where I felt race was a trigger for encounters with rude strangers, in that this man "meant well" but "Thanks" would've sufficed, this is California 2018 after all. But the assumption about language ability and THEN ethnicity (with multiple failed attempts) just screamed ignorance.

It's not cute that just because you know 1 greeting in language X you use it on someone who you THINK comes from that country X.

Oh and this is not the 1st time something like this has happened
OP, in one of your earlier encounters, you felt racially threatened because of old ladies walking in "your" path.
This is a similar incident.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,861,517 times
Quote:
Yesterday I held the door for this white man and he said "Xie Xie" (Chinese for thank you) and then when I had no response and no reaction, he said "Arigato" (Japanese)

Now I don't speak either language, I was aware of those greetings as many people who don't speak the language do, as others understand "Bonjour" etc. But just because I was Asian, he ASSUMED that I spoke the language. I am Chinese-American but that does not necessarily mean I speak Chinese or any other languages, just based on my race.

THEN, when I had no reaction again, he said "Are you Filipino"?!

I said "No I am not and you have been wrong!"

This is almost an opposite situation from the recent run ins I've had where I felt race was a trigger for encounters with rude strangers, in that this man "meant well" but "Thanks" would've sufficed, this is California 2018 after all. But the assumption about language ability and THEN ethnicity (with multiple failed attempts) just screamed ignorance.

It's not cute that just because you know 1 greeting in language X you use it on someone who you THINK comes from that country X.

Oh and this is not the 1st time something like this has happened

Chill out. He was simply trying to extend a nice gesture to you by possibly using some words you were familiar with. It is no different than seeing a T shirt on someone and commenting on what it reads, simply a way to break the ice.

I just had breakfast over Thanksgiving at a hotel while we were traveling. We sat down at a table with a man and his two daughters, and they appeared to be Asian. We struck up a conversation, us asking questions and him asking questions, and after a while I said to him, "Where are you folks from ?", and he said "Georgia !" (not the answer I expected, but funny ! )

We continued to talk while eating, and at the end I told him my name and asked his, and he said "Mike". He was in no way offended, and we parted on friendly terms, giving him suggestions of what they might want to see in the area. I just figure he has either lived in America so long, or was born here, that he is simply Mike from Georgia !

Old 11-27-2018, 06:19 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,735 times
You're of course welcome to feel however you want about this brief interaction. But your level of sensitivity will give you undue grief in life if you persist as such. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. It is much easier to overcome molehills than mountains.

Understand that it is embedded in human nature to make snap judgements based on superficial qualities such as race, speech, dress, and bearing - especially during brief, superficial interactions such as this. By replying either "No problem" or "Sorry, I only speak English" you would have provided him with a chance for meaningful education, or given him pause for his assumptions. You would have been able to turn what you perceived as a negative into a positive.

I know of many Western white people who live in Asia, speaking the language fluently and without accent, adopting the customs, embracing the culture, and eating and cooking local foods. I imagine if they had met a fellow Westerner and had children, those kids when grown would have received a similar reaction from a local Asian person as you had received from that gentleman, had they done something similar.

If a Brazilian or Peruvian of Asian descent had held the door for me in their respective countries, I wonder how I would react in that sudden moment? I probably would have said "Thank you," but not "Obrigado", and I would not have known that they only spoke Portuguese unless they informed me.

Lastly, in this time of erosion of common courtesy and civility, be glad he made an attempt to thank you. Most of the time, I receive little to no acknowledgement.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:10 AM

8,085 posts, read 7,457,899 times
Quote:

Sounds like the guy was harmless if a bit loopy, and trying to "virtue signal" by speaking a foreign language. I'd just let it go at that.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,158,808 times
The guy was probably trying to hit on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships