Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:16 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,868,494 times

Advertisements

I was in a restaurant in Munich and some Germans I was seated with asked my waitress if I was French when I did not respond to their greeting. How dare they! Just because I appear European...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 06:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,553,052 times
Just happened to watch this today- good food for thought on the issue of what folks look like and how others react to them because of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZR_vMU8db8

Old 11-26-2018, 06:53 PM

14,527 posts, read 12,155,143 times
Well you assumed he should speak English because of his race, right?

And he didn’t! I bet there’s a story there.

People could be interesting and surprising if you let them!

Old 11-26-2018, 06:54 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
That's awful! It's almost like he wanted to honor your heritage when expressing thanks for your kind gesture. What is the world coming to when people try to, gasp, communicate with others.

On the bright side, that terrible, "racist" white man provided yet another opportunity to take offense where it is very likely none was offered or intended.

Seriously, what is gained by assuming the worst and becoming outraged over something that was probably meant to be a friendly gesture?
Times 1000.

Unbelievable. The things people find to be offended about...it's beyond absurd.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:58 PM

587 posts, read 424,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I was in a restaurant in Munich and some Germans I was seated with asked my waitress if I was French when I did not respond to their greeting. How dare they! Just because I appear European...
You don't seem to get the dynamic is different, because of the racial minority context

By joking about it. Which is not very funny.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Why am I not surprised to see a bunch of non-minority people assuming they have the right to dictate how a person of color is supposed to feel when someone acts in a way that is clearly based solely on their visible race and not based on who they are as a person.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:02 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Yesterday I held the door for this white man and he said "Xie Xie" (Chinese for thank you) and then when I had no response and no reaction, he said "Arigato" (Japanese)

Now I don't speak either language, I was aware of those greetings as many people who don't speak the language do, as others understand "Bonjour" etc. But just because I was Asian, he ASSUMED that I spoke the language. I am Chinese-American but that does not necessarily mean I speak Chinese or any other languages, just based on my race.

THEN, when I had no reaction again, he said "Are you Filipino"?!

I said "No I am not and you have been wrong!"

This is almost an opposite situation from the recent run ins I've had where I felt race was a trigger for encounters with rude strangers, in that this man "meant well" but "Thanks" would've sufficed, this is California 2018 after all. But the assumption about language ability and THEN ethnicity (with multiple failed attempts) just screamed ignorance.

It's not cute that just because you know 1 greeting in language X you use it on someone who you THINK comes from that country X.

Oh and this is not the 1st time something like this has happened
Haha!! This has happened to me also. And yes, I find it highly annoying. As a Chinese AMERICAN, I greatly prefer to be only addressed in English. I am not flattered or pleased when someone tries to reach out to be in what they have guessed to be my nationality.

And no, I am not impressed that they know how to say a few basic words in several languages.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well you assumed he should speak English because of his race, right?

And he didn’t! I bet there’s a story there.

People could be interesting and surprising if you let them!
Hhmm? The White guy did speak English, he was kinda sheepish but NO I would NOT assume he could speak English just because he is white in America.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:05 PM

20,155 posts, read 9,049,040 times
toughen up kids or you'll melt.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Haha!! This has happened to me also. And yes, I find it highly annoying. As a Chinese AMERICAN, I greatly prefer to be only addressed in English. I am not flattered or pleased when someone tries to reach out to be in what they have guessed to be my nationality.

And no, I am not impressed that they know how to say a few basic words in several languages.
And then there are the couple here who have trivialized it all, joking about it, likening it to being mistaken for another European IN Europe, without regard for the additional dimensions of the racial minority context
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships