Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I actually pay them rent out of my savings.

You obviously pay them much less than market otherwise you could move out. Thus, they are still subsidizing (aka - supporting) you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 05:01 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
Simple. You take the job and you keep taking money from your parents. You didn't ask about self respect, so mooching off the parents is obviously okay with you; it's the idea of a job you don't want that's the problem.

Take the job, save your money until you can move out on your own. Get a roommate if you must. While you are working at this despised job, you are free to look for other, better employment.

The fact that you are asking this question leads one to feel you are not very mature, and still need the guidance of your parents. In real life, we all have to do things we sometimes don't want to do, and that might be to take a job that isn't fulfilling.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:09 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
the cost of living where i live is too high to do that on a McJob.

Quote:
2.60 here in Midland

You're in Midland, Texas?

The cost of living is actually 4% lower than the national average.

https://www.payscale.com/cost-of-liv.../Texas-Midland

Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM

8,062 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
I actually pay them rent out of my savings.

Why fight it? You have the ability to pay rent, utilities and feed yourself?

You probably pay 1/2 or less of your living expenses. They want you to get a job; why fight it? Last time I checked the "Liberal arts factory" near me wasn't hiring. You might be better off taking a job even if it involves a little bit of physical labor.

They want you to get experience. They want you to experience the real world. What makes you believe you deserve a better job? If it were in the cards why haven't you been getting offers.

So you have a B.S. degree just like everyone else. Pfffftttt.....

Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
So you have a useless 'liberal arts degree,' are still living with your parents, who subsidize you, and they want you to take a job, any job - is it at McDonald's? - so you can start to grow up and fend for yourself. I also think you should take the job, save enough money and move out on your own. While your saving, do some legwork and try to find job prospects where you can use your degree. Or formulate another plan.
Time to man up.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:40 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
I have no idea how long you've been out of college and looking for a job. If you just graduated in December maybe your parents are pushing you a little to much requiring you to take this job. However, anything before that then I'd have to think you're just a whiner who's getting introduced to the real world. Obviously your parents are charging you less than market value for rent because if they weren't moving out would be a better option.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:41 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
Quote:
the cost of living where i live is too high to do that on a McJob.
Then move to a place you can afford, you are choosing to let your parents run your life in exchange for the money they give you.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:44 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am a college grad.I dont have the best degree because I was not the best at math.I have been applying for jobs. I interviewed for a job doing physical labor.I want to apply for more jobs but my parents are making me take this job.They say they will take hundreds a month away from me and wash their hands of me if i dont take this job.Moving out is not an option in the city I live because rent is so high.What should I do?Is it normal for parents to choose the jobs for their children and impose such strict consequences if they dont comply?I feel like I cant resist them because I dont want to disrespect them.I dont know what to do....Im afraid they will take away a lot of money from me if I dont take it. I pay my parents rent out of my savings.
What does it mean that they "will take hundreds a month away from me?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No one can make you do anything.

If you don't want to listen to them, stop taking their money.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What prevents you from finding a job and moving to a lower cost of living city?
This is definitely something to explore if it really is impossible to find someplace to move in your hometown, even with multiple roommates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Then what is this "hundreds" they will take away from you?
Subsidizing your rent by giving you a cheaper deal than if you had to go out and live on your own is also giving you money, btw.

If you want to call the shots in your life, you need to stand on your own.

I have a chicken**** friend who won't marry the woman of his dreams bc his parents might cut him out of his inheritance. He has a job paying $300k a year. I have no respect for this dude.
Once again, this point is correct. Money has always been a primary way that people will control other people. If you don't want anyone to have control over you, you can't take money from anyone. Sometimes the non-monetary cost is worth it. Sometimes it isn't. You have to decide. What's more important to you -- continuing to find some job that you deem worthy? Or living in your parents' house?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 PM

811 posts, read 622,178 times
What a great thread!

Very encouraging to see wise, objective counsel but I'll be very surprised to see our basement dwelling, economic outpatient come out of his safe space at this point. Isn't it par for the course that he actually believed he was going to get a sympathetic ear here?

Hopefully he learns an important lesson.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,871 times
Join the military. It’ll b good for you on several levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships