Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times

Advertisements

Flights to Hawai are NOT cheap so I would be highly offended to think I am paying for a round trip ticket for 11 days only to learn AFTER paying that it is for four days. We all handle things differently but if it were me, I would confront my daughter for misleading me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Flights to Hawai are NOT cheap so I would be highly offended to think I am paying for a round trip ticket for 11 days only to learn AFTER paying that it is for four days. We all handle things differently but if it were me, I would confront my daughter for misleading me.
Agree, it's not cheap and it's a long flight even if you're coming from the west coast, never mind other parts of the country. Who wants to get on a plane and than have what is really only 2 days there, and than back on the plane? Brutal, you only do that for emergencies or possibly work, not for a trip.

The daughter pulled a fast one and it needs to be addressed.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:44 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Maybe if daughter was more upfront about the whole thing it wouldn't feel so cringy.

I just like everyone being straightforward about their feelings/thoughts.
So take the bull by the horns and address it. Dear Daughter, I know there's been some awkwardness concerning plans for this trip. I'd like to clear the air before we go, can we discuss it?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So take the bull by the horns and address it. Dear Daughter, I know there's been some awkwardness concerning plans for this trip. I'd like to clear the air before we go, can we discuss it?
Daughter doesn't seem like a clear the air type.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM

62 posts, read 55,295 times
I would try to enjoy the four days of free lodging and enthusiastically prepare for the trip, but I would also change my return flight and plan a solo vacation on another part of the island! Your daughter may feel guilty, but I would maximize the time spent in Hawaii.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 AM

326 posts, read 200,317 times
I agree with Mary
Too much money for just a few days,and I would extend and go off on my own

Old 02-18-2019, 12:34 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,072 times
You're not overreacting.Your daughter is an adult.Why would you invite someone if you don't want to spend much time with the person???It would have been very simple for her to have stated to you that after she got back from her vacation...then to make plans in the future for you to go visit her like usual.Very simple thing to do.The fact that she only booked you for 4 days knowing that the original vacation is for 11 days was weak and sad.
Why didn't she book you for 11 days??
I would never invite my mother on a trip with me to begin with because there is always another time where I could go visit her....and not on my own personal trip that I would want to have for myself.That is where your daughter went wrong.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:58 PM

743 posts, read 875,431 times
I also agree with Mary. Find a resort nearby and go there. There's always travel deals and you will have fun. That's what I would do. Win-win.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
I don't know what you can do with your daughter, because passive-aggressive people will just minimize or deny everything . . .

I would somehow make a statement that I was surprised to find out that my reservation was only for four days and leave a space for her to respond - see what she says . . .

Then extend your trip by making reservations elsewhere for the remainder of the trip.

One thing that was not clear (and sorry, did not go back and read) is whether or not you paid for 11 days and are only getting four - if that is the case, that is shady. I hope that didn't happen.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
I personally don't find it so odd that she wants you to come for part of her trip and not the whole thing. Presumably she is spending the 11 days with her husband or boyfriend? I think it's nice that she would want to you to come for part of the vacation.

What I do think is weird is that she wasn't upfront about it. If she had said, "hey, hubby and I are planning to go to Hawaii for 11 days, how would you feel about coming for part of our trip?" -- would you have been okay with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships