Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:57 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times

Advertisements

Two siblings, both a few years older than me. Over the years, we've all moved to different states on the east coast. They are both good people, but we are just different, socially and career-wise.

One I see a couple times each year. We get along well, but we're not best friends or anything like that. The other I see about once a year as we have very little in common and have different views on many issues.

Just like everyone else, I don't like to deal with awkward or uncomfortable situations, so I tend to be withdrawn in relationships like these.

Sometimes it's easy to be envious of the relationships my friends have with their siblings, but it is what it is. As they say, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 07:49 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
We are brother and sister; he’s 5 years younger. Our parents and older sister are gone. We stay in touch. He has many animals so he doesn’t go on vacations or come to visit me (7 hour drive) but we do see eachother every couple of years when I go to see him. We email about 2x a month. He is a very unique person and clearly considers me very provincial. I’m glad he’s still in my life and wish we were closer.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:01 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
If I'm not mistaken chemo caps are chilled and supposed to help you not lose your hair. OP correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a sister who is 12 1/2 months younger than I am. We were not very close once we hit the teenage years for many reasons, but in the last 20 years we have become very close especially since we are both living within 45 minutes of each other now. I would say she is my best friend and we can talk about anything.

I have a half brother and sister from my father's second marriage and while I talk to my brother through Facebook, he is 19 years younger than me so we don't have a lot in common. He lives an hour away but is very busy with his job and marathons and him and his wife are not the type to invite people to dinner. I've actually only seen him twice in the last 5 years, most recently at my mother's funeral in July. It touched me that he came since he barely knew my mother at all.

My half sister is 23 years younger and I never liked her. She was a spoiled brat who had no respect for her mother or our father. When my father died there was a huge blow-out and I haven't spoken to her since and that was in 2006.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:04 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Am close to my older brother, we get along very well. Our oldest brother has passed, but while still with us we both got along with him as well.

I have a younger sister and brother and there has not been any contact for approximately 15 years and life is much, much more pleasant keeping it this way.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:55 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,949 times
My sister and I are estranged by her choice. She expects others to be perfect and cuts them off when they aren’t. At this point, I don’t think she has any friends, she has her husband and daughter to talk to. ( she’s 4 years younger and we were never close)

Old 09-27-2019, 09:24 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,604 times
My sister and I are very sweet to each other, but we'd be much closer if she hadn't married someone I cannot abide. I try to keep the lines of communication open so that she knows she can always crash with me if she decides to leave him. This is no petty thing - he's pretty awful.

I hope you have a smooth journey back to wellness, OP. You're a lucky woman indeed, with your sister.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
You're very lucky to have such a sister. Best wishes on your recovery.

I have an older sister and two brothers. We are not close at all.

My older brother lives 15 minutes away and I haven't seen him in a couple of years. My parents played favourites, valuing the boys much more, and my brothers learned to deal with me as an afterthought as well. I gave up trying so hard to have a relationship with my brothers, it ended in my frustrated tears every time. My husband and daughter both expressed relief when I finally decided to not be treated badly. I do communicate with my sister occasionally, but she's a drama queen and self-centred and it's not a rewarding relationship for me.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If I'm not mistaken chemo caps are chilled and supposed to help you not lose your hair. OP correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the OP was referring to close-fitting turban like knit hats worn day to day, not the specialized chiller types.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:09 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
I am not close to my brother. We are polar opposites and have never gotten along. I stay in touch for my niece, who I adore. If it weren't for her, we would never talk. He's a self absorbed, no common sense, impulsive type of guy. I'm very different. I don't like being around him.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I grew up with 5 siblings; 3 older brothers, one older sister and one younger sister. I was the black sheep of the family and had a strained relationship with 2 of my older brothers, my older sister and a little bit with my younger sister. My other older brother was a true friend to me. He taught me to play guitar when I was ten, always supported me even when I was ostracized by my other siblings. He died of throat cancer, but I was able to visit him and sang him songs that he had taught me.
One in particular was very hateful and wanted nothing to do with me except to use me when he needed a place to stay while moving from Mississippi to Washington. He stayed the night, left the next morning with no thanks, and I haven't heard from him since. I'll always remember Jerry. He was a wonderful brother and a true friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships