Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 01:01 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times

Advertisements

I’m not one for violence, but one should be able to defend oneself especially if nothing is being done about it. If this was a boy going around punching girls the school may have stepped in sooner. Sounds like until a kid pushed her back that they finally did something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 01:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I’m not one for violence, but one should be able to defend oneself especially if nothing is being done about it. If this was a boy going around punching girls the school may have stepped in sooner. Sounds like until a kid pushed her back that they finally did something about it.
It is almost impossible to determine who initiated anything and much will be subjective anyway. Schools are left with punishing both parties in an altercation. When my kids were in school I understood that and told both of them they'd best never throw the first punch but if someone ever started something they should defend themselves and we'd take any suspensions.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:20 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You don't have to resort to physical assault in order to defend yourself OP. Retaliating physically is what a baby does...a knee-jerk response that rarely solves anything. A lesson 12 year olds should have already learned.
It's not assault then is it if your using defense tactics that have physical motion . ? Took a course and learned that in the act of defending the assailant will receive some body bows to impede so I can flee. Pretty sure it's legal to do so when being accosted.

The schools are still working to hold folks accountable without the real resolution of teaching the real perpetrator . The victim gets the short end noatter what.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:53 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
My experience in school was that in any issue involving a boy and a girl, the boy was ALWAYS going to be punished and the girl wasn't. I'm surprised the girl in this case got anything.

My experience has also been that schools support bullies, if not overtly, then tacitly. Schools often don't punish the initial action, but instead the response. If you defend yourself, you get punished. If you don't defend yourself, you get picked on the bully doesn't get punished.

Told my kids they were never allowed to throw the first punch, but if someone started it, they had my permission to finish it.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
The same sick rules of games people play we we do as adults- they are teaching the kids -skilled passive aggressive behavior and the victim game especially baiting

Old 09-29-2019, 03:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You don't have to resort to physical assault in order to defend yourself OP. Retaliating physically is what a baby does...a knee-jerk response that rarely solves anything. A lesson 12 year olds should have already learned.
Retaliation is very different than self-defense. And it doesn't matter which one a kid engages in; they will be suspended.

That's the whole idea behind zero-tolerance. No critical thinking allowed; you're out.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Retaliation is very different than self-defense. And it doesn't matter which one a kid engages in; they will be suspended.

That's the whole idea behind zero-tolerance. No critical thinking allowed; you're out.

It has less to do with discouraging critical thinking and more to do with quick resolution that doesn't rely on the school having to research and determine who the guilty party is. It's not critical thinking that's the issue it's time, resources and the possibility of appearing biased for (or against) a particular party. The school is there to educate not to get involved in all of the drama that goes on between teens - much of which is outside of school hours and property, even if the altercation eventually happens at school.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:59 PM

10 posts, read 4,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
He didn't need to push her, so yeah I guess it's fair that he also got suspended. His suspension was half of what the girl received. That shows that the principal was well aware of who was instigating.

She had a miscarriage at age 11 or 12? (is that even possible?)
Base of what my friend said there were a couple complains about the girl. She was the instigator and would do it to others so that was probably the main reason she got punished more than him. Aparently yes she miscarried her former stepfather's child so it's possible at that age I guess.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:03 AM

10 posts, read 4,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My experience in school was that in any issue involving a boy and a girl, the boy was ALWAYS going to be punished and the girl wasn't. I'm surprised the girl in this case got anything
I would guess it's because were a couple others complaining about her too. I think there is some truth to the poster that said that if it was a boy punching several girls at the school, the issue would have been stopped sooner.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:28 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce7 View Post
Base of what my friend said there were a couple complains about the girl. She was the instigator and would do it to others so that was probably the main reason she got punished more than him. Aparently yes she miscarried her former stepfather's child so it's possible at that age I guess.
For someone who is not even third party to the drama - friend's little brother - you sure know a lot and share a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships