Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Yes and no. OP is their landlord, and expects rent from them. If they are in debt and cannot pay the rent, it becomes her business.
Oh so now they cannot pay the rent? I missed that in the OP. Can you link to that post?
Quote:
If debt collectors are calling her husband looking for them, then guess what? It becomes her business. You're honestly going to sit there and try to tell me if a debt collector called looking for your brother, that you wouldn't be calling him up asking questions? Yeah, OK.
Also I was under the impression that the debt collector was asking for the SIL, not the brother---and the OP indeed called her up and asked questions. What am I missing.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Oh so now they cannot pay the rent? I missed that in the OP. Can you link to that post?

Also I was under the impression that the debt collector was asking for the SIL, not the brother---and the OP indeed called her up and asked questions. What am I missing.
I thought the OP said that that SIL told her she was on a payment plan paying back the interest. I’m not sure what that has to do with not being able to pay rent. Many people have payment plans and are only paying interest. I worked with one guy a few years ago who told me at some point after 2010 that he still had $250K worth of student loan debt and he finished grad school in the early or mid ‘90s. I am pretty sure that he wasn’t paying much to principal on how much he was making in his public sector jobs over the years, but he was making payments and still owned a home.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:06 PM

17,319 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Some of these collectors are skip tracers.

Sometimes companies that can't collect on their debts sell them off to skip tracers for pennies on the dollar. And then the skip tracers own the debt, and go after the debtors.
THIS!!!

I got a debt collector call for an ex-brother in law I have never even met........deleted the message and moved on

Old 11-05-2019, 06:17 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Yes and no. OP is their landlord, and expects rent from them. If they are in debt and cannot pay the rent, it becomes her business. If debt collectors are calling her husband looking for them, then guess what? It becomes her business. You're honestly going to sit there and try to tell me if a debt collector called looking for your brother, that you wouldn't be calling him up asking questions? Yeah, OK.
When they cannot pay their rent, it becomes her business. I haven't seen an indication that that has happened.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Yes and no. OP is their landlord, and expects rent from them. If they are in debt and cannot pay the rent, it becomes her business. If debt collectors are calling her husband looking for them, then guess what? It becomes her business. You're honestly going to sit there and try to tell me if a debt collector called looking for your brother, that you wouldn't be calling him up asking questions? Yeah, OK.
I said, ‘rent being paid ....’ When and if, paying rent becomes an issue, then and only then is their finances any of her business. Just like any urgent landlord tenant BUSINESS relationship.

The op is just too darn nosey for her own good.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:53 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

I'm pretty sure in follow up posts that the OP said they were having trouble paying rent, and that the debt collector's called her husband looking for them both. I'm not going to scroll through every page to find which post it was exactly. Your hands and mouse work, so go for it!

Old 11-06-2019, 06:40 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure in follow up posts that the OP said they were having trouble paying rent, and that the debt collector's called her husband looking for them both. I'm not going to scroll through every page to find which post it was exactly. Your hands and mouse work, so go for it!
Oops, nope, that's not the way it works! If you make a claim, you don't expect other people to prove it to you. Let your fingers (and mouse!) do the walking!

Old 11-07-2019, 04:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
In post 28 the OP said they were not. He was just worried about the possibility of his brother not knowing. He has said they live paycheck to paycheck, but not that they are not paying rent.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
In post 28 the OP said they were not. He was just worried about the possibility of his brother not knowing. He has said they live paycheck to paycheck, but not that they are not paying rent.

Yeah I went back and reread everything and that was my goof. I can admit when I am wrong. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-08-2019 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: off topic rude comment towards other posters in this thread

Old 11-07-2019, 11:17 AM

475 posts, read 318,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
My husband and I are very fortunate to be in a position to help them out, but we’re hesitant to get involved or interfere.

Part of me wants to reach out to my brother, suggest they work with a legitimate debt consolidation firm and work out an arrangement and I can help them out as necessary (he does urgently need the car we’re selling to him). I wouldn’t help them out unless they present me with a plan to address the debt and in all fairness his wife needs to get a real J.O.B. Her fun “job” in the arts clearly isn’t paying the bills. My husband and I work non-fun corporate IT jobs so we can live comfortably and we enjoy our hobbies when we’re not working. I don’t want to help them out if she still refuses to face reality, but I don’t want to see my brother suffer financially nor do I want to cause problems in his marriage. AFAIK their marriage is reasonably stable but she wears the pants.
No offense, I'm guessing you mean well but this sounds like something a parent would purpose to an 18 year old who wanted to borrow money. "Get a job, keep your grades up, there's no free ride etc. etc."

From what I can tell your brother and his wife haven't asked to borrow money. Until and unless that happens I think you need to stay out of it. If you really think they're having financial problems, feel like you're financially able to help and really want to, (rather than control what your SIL does by putting conditions on them...like she has to get a "real" job) give them a break on the rent. (maybe you already do?) Other than that, bow out unless they ask for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships