Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 05:56 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Why did a debt collector manage to call YOUR husband for info on your brother's wife???

Did he cosign for something one time?

Stay out of it.

I was a credit manager for many years. We are very good at our jobs, things like skip tracing and finding names of friends and relatives. A big part of the job is playing detective, when someone is hiding from you.

Plus, when you take out a loan or buy something on credit, you give names of relatives and references.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I got a call from a debt scavenger one time. Trying to collect on a debt that I had no recollection of ever having. And yes, it was 20 years old - if I ever had it which I don't recall (it was some sort of credit card according to them). It sounded like a legit company and maybe it was but errr, no.

I have very little respect for these types of companies, even if they are "legitimate." Needless to say, I didn't pay them a penny and in fact sent them a letter to cease and desist, which they did. Never heard a peep from them again.

OP, stay out of it. And for the record, I think you are too involved in your brother's financial life. He's renting from you, and now also buying a vehicle from you? I'd work at getting less involved, not more involved. For starters, why isn't he financing the purchase of the vehicle from his bank or some other lender?

Old 11-02-2019, 06:58 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
It actually didn't occur to me until you pointed it out that it's possible my brother also received a call, although he might have figured it's a scam and disregarded it.

I care because I don't want to see my brother in financial distress.
But it's not your life. It's their life, their choices. I'm sure your brother would be very unhappy if he knew you were gossiping about his family finances.

Just forget about it. Someday they may ask for advice or help.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:22 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Since OP told the sister in law about the call. That would be the end of it for me. I would not volunteer to give them money.

I think my husband has gotten a few calls over the years about his deadbeat nephews, but he did not even tell them about the calls.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:42 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I would mention the call to your bro & ask if everything was OK. Let him set the tone.
This^^^
Sounds like you are close to your brother and care for him.
In this situation- you need to mention the call from the collectors.
Let him lead the conversation- so my suggestion mention this call in person- you may observe his reaction.
Even could ask him if he can afford the car you are selling to him.
Go from there.
I would not rush with offer of help right away - not a monetary help at least.
You are already helping- I bet his rental from you is reasonable and the car you are selling to him probably has a good price for him?

Only if he asks for help/ advise - you may reconsider after talking to your husband regarding the conditions of your help: credit reports, full financial disclosure, credit counseling, make him sign a note, etc.
Maybe even consider arranging for a separate finances- filing separately- depending on their situation..

As you are not privy of your brother’s financial situation- you could be throwing your money out of the window if he/ they are forced to claim bankruptcy (they may have a huge credit card debt)

As his landlord you probably could pull their credit report on them?

Old 11-02-2019, 07:56 AM

64 posts, read 29,573 times
OP. I would stay out of it. You already mentioned the phone call to your brother's wife. She deflected. It is between your brother and his wife to work out their problems, both financial and relationship.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You make it sound like this is brand new debt. It's 20 years old.

Why are you acting like suddenly they are at risk of not paying their rent? Nothing's changed. And you never mentioned them not paying their rent before.

And FYI, your true feelings about your SIL's profession are on full display right here:

I happen to believe that the world needs artists, even starving ones.
We have enough cubicle dwellers

You are extremely judgmental of the OP!
Those cubicle dwellers and their taxes make our society possible and pay in part for the social programs for many people, including as we surmise from the OP post- her “artist” SIL.
The 20 yo educational debt is not some “evil” government’s money not needed to pay back, but the taxpayers money.

Imagine if we all follow your ideology and become starving artists, adventurers, writers and pursue our “dreams” - what would the society look like? A scary thought!

Bravo! Big thank you! Kudos! To all hard working cubicle dwellers everywhere
Love you!

Last edited by Nik4me; 11-02-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-02-2019, 08:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Those cubicle dwellers and their taxes make our society possible and pay for the social programs for many people, including as we surmise from the OP post- her “artist” SIL.
The 20 yo educational debt is not some “evil” government’s money not needed to pay back, but the taxpayers money.

Imagine if we all follow your ideology and become starving artists, adventurers, writers and pursue our “dreams” - what would the society look like? A scary thought!

Bravo! Big thank you! Kudos! To all cubicle dwellers everywhere
We love you!
Yes, slow golf clap to all those cubicle dwellers. Fortunately, society functions best with a mix of both.

Being a dreamer doesn't mean you aren't a doer, though, and those who don't work in cubicles manage to pay taxes too.

What this world has enough of is finger-wagging, tongue-clucking, condescending Judgy McJudgersons.

The point of this thread? Live YOUR life the way you want, and let others live theirs.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:48 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I would mention the call to your bro & ask if everything was OK. Let him set the tone.
^^ This ^^

Old 11-02-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes, slow golf clap to all those cubicle dwellers. Fortunately, society functions best with a mix of both.

Being a dreamer doesn't mean you aren't a doer, though, and those who don't work in cubicles manage to pay taxes too.

What this world has enough of is finger-wagging, tongue-clucking, condescending Judgy McJudgersons.

The point of this thread? Live YOUR life the way you want, and let others live theirs.
You did not address my argument that there are no free lunches in a well functioning society- educational loans are not art

You missed the point that the OP SIL- used to have a career- probably funded by the generous educational unpaidloans

(Our society recognizes the need for artists, funds a lot of arts in addition to a lot of charitable endeavors for the arts and artists - so your point is moot)

When one has nothing to say- they resort to name calling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships