Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 07:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
No. Return the shoes. In the future, have a policy of they pay first before you purchase.

His mother’s death is irrelevant in this situation.
totally agree with the above...I'd refuse to do it even if they DID pay first.
No good deed goes undone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_girl View Post
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, the return window closed 2 weeks ago, and even if the return window was still open, I won't be able to return it because I am still outside the US.

I did not expect this kind of behaviour from him My problem is it will be hard to sell size 12 shoes because it's not a common shoe size where I am now (Asia).

This isn't your fault. You were trying to be a good friend and it backfired on you. You could still try to sell them while you're in whatever country you're currently visiting. And if all else fails, list them eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Craig's List, Offer Up, and Let It Go. Last year I sold 2 pair of Nikes, and 4 pairs of Jordans I didn't want anymore, all on eBay. Nice and easy.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:40 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thank you for making this post. You are aware that these items were ordered thru Amazon. Which can ship directly and does accept returns.
And I have my "shipping" degree from the business that I worked for. I know the postal rules for what can and cannot be shipped. As does Amazon. Sneakers aren't banned . This poster simply got hoodwinked and is now regretting her gesture. I don't begrudge her that feeling. I do think it's a reflection on that moocher though.
I didn't notice that. Good point Nov3.

Question now is how long has it been since the shoes were ordered. OP may've waited too long to do a proper return. On top of that, she's now moved out of country, and it may not be feasibly possible to do such a return because of all the logistics involved.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:47 AM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thank you for making this post. You are aware that these items were ordered thru Amazon. Which can ship directly and does accept returns.
And I have my "shipping" degree from the business that I worked for. I know the postal rules for what can and cannot be shipped. As does Amazon. Sneakers aren't banned . This poster simply got hoodwinked and is now regretting her gesture. I don't begrudge her that feeling. I do think it's a reflection on that moocher though.
The point, I believe, was to get the shoes at a lower cost.

Shipping costs to Asia are high. But, it's not just about high shipping costs, there's also import/duty tax.

That $100 pair of shoes in the US might end up costing $170-$180 if shipped to Asia.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
I have a friend who asked me to buy a $100 pair of shoes in September. It's November now and he still has not paid me or picked up the shoes.

I knew this friend back in college (in the early 2000s) We are FB friends but never chatted or spoke all those years. Some time August I posted an old 90s photo (I rarely post) and he suddenly messaged me. We started chatting and I told him I am in the US (I was born and raised in another country). Out of politeness, I told him if he needs anything from the US, just tell me. Usually my friends would just say chocolates, supplements or shirt (small items considering the limited luggage space and weight) I wasn't expecting him to send me Amazon links to 2 basketball shoes and computer parts, all of which probably costs $500 I discouraged him from buying the computer parts because honestly, it's too much money for me to pay in the meantime. I have another friend who asked me to buy stuff for him and he gave me the money beforehand. I had to leave some of the gifts that family and friends gave me because my luggage was overweight. I was planning to tell him that I can't bring the shoes anymore but then his Mom passed away and I felt guilty for not doing him this favor so I told him I can only bring 1 pair home because I had to leave a lot of stuff already.

I knew him as a polite and considerate person and I was not expecting him to give me a hard time. I am not comfortable having to ask people to pay me. I told the story to another friend and he said I should be more understanding because he lost his Mom. Am I wrong for feeling pissed?
When you said "I told him if he needs anything from the US, just tell me" did you say you can send me the money then I'll purchase it or something similar that doesn't sound like you were offering to actually buy them for him without repayment?

I say he couldn't afford the shoes and you've been played otherwise he would have deposited the money already. It has nothing to do with his mother dying.

I think if you actually call Amazon and explain what happened they would take them back, but it sounds like you left the other pair in the US and the box to the shoes you have with you. Sorry but you're out $100. Ebay them or use facebook marketplace or a FB group local to where you are to try to resell them when you get back to the US

Old 11-08-2019, 02:13 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The point, I believe, was to get the shoes at a lower cost.

Shipping costs to Asia are high. But, it's not just about high shipping costs, there's also import/duty tax.

That $100 pair of shoes in the US might end up costing $170-$180 if shipped to Asia.
If sent via an individual perhaps. The point is AMAZON has contacts ( warehouses) world wide. They will use the country that has very little taxation/tarrifs to get to its final destination. Its almost laugh filled that simply because you place your order in the USA its presumed it gets shipped from the USA to Aunti Hilda In Germany. Its not how a large company like Amazon works.

That's water over the bridge though.

The OP can certainly find alternative ways to recoup some of the financial investment as suggested by posters here.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:05 AM

80 posts, read 33,089 times
You're not wrong for being pissed, he should have initiated paying you back. Your friend is the one being inconsiderate for asking you to buy things for him without paying upfront. His mother died, and that is of course a difficult event, but if he was a good friend he would not put you through this because it is still a significant amount of money.

I hope you can find a way to sell the items.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:58 AM

324 posts, read 407,765 times
Just an update: Still no takers on the shoes (Its been 2 months since I advertised it) I asked my friend several times to pay it but he always gives a date and doesn't make the payment. He gave me a partial payment of $35. In my latest message asking him to pay the balance, he just ignored it.

I know it's just $100 but what pisses me off more is the fact that I left my own gifts to make space in my luggage for his gigantic shoes. I am so mad and I am very tempted to send him a message letting him know how displeased I am. I don't know how to compose my message showing him that I am mad but not be rude

Old 01-09-2020, 08:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Just an update: Still no takers on the shoes (Its been 2 months since I advertised it) I asked my friend several times to pay it but he always gives a date and doesn't make the payment. He gave me a partial payment of $35. In my latest message asking him to pay the balance, he just ignored it.

I know it's just $100 but what pisses me off more is the fact that I left my own gifts to make space in my luggage for his gigantic shoes. I am so mad and I am very tempted to send him a message letting him know how displeased I am. I don't know how to compose my message showing him that I am mad but not be rude

Well...maybe now's the time to go ahead and be rude. But I admire your restraint. Sincerely.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 AM

669 posts, read 321,303 times
Somebody who can't clue in asking for that much probably has a messy, unorganized life. Especially at around 40 yrs old. This is stuff teenagers or college age ppl are flaky about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships