Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 09:25 AM

18,145 posts, read 15,717,350 times

Advertisements

Words to live by when it comes to friends:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 10:13 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_girl View Post
I have a friend who asked me to buy a $100 pair of shoes in September. It's November now and he still has not paid me or picked up the shoes.

I knew this friend back in college (in the early 2000s) We are FB friends but never chatted or spoke all those years. Some time August I posted an old 90s photo (I rarely post) and he suddenly messaged me. We started chatting and I told him I am in the US (I was born and raised in another country). Out of politeness, I told him if he needs anything from the US, just tell me. Usually my friends would just say chocolates, supplements or shirt (small items considering the limited luggage space and weight) I wasn't expecting him to send me Amazon links to 2 basketball shoes and computer parts, all of which probably costs $500 I discouraged him from buying the computer parts because honestly, it's too much money for me to pay in the meantime. I have another friend who asked me to buy stuff for him and he gave me the money beforehand. I had to leave some of the gifts that family and friends gave me because my luggage was overweight. I was planning to tell him that I can't bring the shoes anymore but then his Mom passed away and I felt guilty for not doing him this favor so I told him I can only bring 1 pair home because I had to leave a lot of stuff already.

I knew him as a polite and considerate person and I was not expecting him to give me a hard time. I am not comfortable having to ask people to pay me. I told the story to another friend and he said I should be more understanding because he lost his Mom. Am I wrong for feeling pissed?
Learn from this going forward. You offered and he accepted.

No one is comfortable having to ask for their money back, that's why you have to be selective about whether or not to do it.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:37 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,919,244 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, the return window closed 2 weeks ago, and even if the return window was still open, I won't be able to return it because I am still outside the US.

I did not expect this kind of behaviour from him My problem is it will be hard to sell size 12 shoes because it's not a common shoe size where I am now (Asia).
So you bought the shoes and then brought them to Asia with you to give to him and he would give you their cost.

And now he has become dishonorable.

Approach him again. Remind him you cannot easily unload them in the land of the smaller foot.

If he is still not living up to his request that you buy him these shoes, bring them back to the states on your next trip and try to sell them in the states.

And cross him off your list of those for whom you stick things in your empty suitcase space.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:00 AM

17,807 posts, read 9,247,915 times
OP, unless he's extremely strapped for cash after funeral costs, no you're not being inconsiderate.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:11 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,925 times
Quote:
I have a friend who asked me to buy a $100 pair of shoes in September. It's November now and he still has not paid me or picked up the shoes.

I knew this friend back in college (in the early 2000s) We are FB friends but never chatted or spoke all those years. Some time August I posted an old 90s photo (I rarely post) and he suddenly messaged me. We started chatting and I told him I am in the US (I was born and raised in another country). Out of politeness, I told him if he needs anything from the US, just tell me. Usually my friends would just say chocolates, supplements or shirt (small items considering the limited luggage space and weight) I wasn't expecting him to send me Amazon links to 2 basketball shoes and computer parts, all of which probably costs $500 I discouraged him from buying the computer parts because honestly, it's too much money for me to pay in the meantime. I have another friend who asked me to buy stuff for him and he gave me the money beforehand. I had to leave some of the gifts that family and friends gave me because my luggage was overweight. I was planning to tell him that I can't bring the shoes anymore but then his Mom passed away and I felt guilty for not doing him this favor so I told him I can only bring 1 pair home because I had to leave a lot of stuff already.

I knew him as a polite and considerate person and I was not expecting him to give me a hard time. I am not comfortable having to ask people to pay me. I told the story to another friend and he said I should be more understanding because he lost his Mom. Am I wrong for feeling pissed?
You're too nice. Shoes? Computer parts? Nope! Can you return them?!? Do it! Next time don't do it again.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
Honestly, I think you are justified in telling him to pick up and pay for the shoes or you who sell them locally before you return to US. And in future remember he has told you volumes about his character. In future, do not trust him to keep his word.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
You are calling people friends who are not

Old 11-06-2019, 03:11 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
Who knew that you can fly to a country but can't ship to them. Weird.

Yes you can ship them back and get a refund or store credit .

Otherwise donate them to an orphanage.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:20 PM

2,571 posts, read 2,689,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Who knew that you can fly to a country but can't ship to them. Weird.

Yes you can ship them back and get a refund or store credit .

Otherwise donate them to an orphanage.
It depends on the store and length of time. Shipping internationally can be unreasonably expensive and could turn out to be almost the price of the shoes.

If the shoes are a unique commodity that people might like, then you could try selling as long as the ad is for free or minimal cost to you and you have the time and energy to put all that together.
Depending on which site(s) you use to sell, you can put/guess the cost of the international shipping of the shoes.
I sell online myself and have done international a number of times before, so I know how complicated it can get. It's not as straight forward at all as it should be sometimes.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:21 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,998,578 times
Don't ask people again. Only buy anything if they are really close friends and pay in advance and ask you - don't offer. Lesson learned.

I usually only get asked by people I barely know while my friends are modest. I have no issues telling them that my luggage is already too heavy, sorry ….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships