Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 04:02 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times

Advertisements

My husband sleeps with his dad's blanket from the nursing home. I'm in love with the old living room furniture from his parents' home, the rest of the family was going to give it to Goodwill, but I really feel my mother in law's spirit and feel comforted when I'm sitting on it, in fact, I moved our furniture out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 04:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
These are sweet, lovely posts.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:51 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,058,826 times
I have an old sweatshirt of my late husband's, as well as his bathrobe, I wear both.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:59 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
I have an old Foley food fork that my dad had replaced the wooden handle when it broke with a screwdriver handle. It's ugly, but every time I use it I remember how my dad could jury-rig anything to make it work. I sure wish he was still here, fixing things and still in my life.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:35 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,441,828 times
I have my Mom's old vintage canister that she used to keep sugar in. It has a red top and very colorful flowers on the side and looks perfect in my vintage kitchen. I also have a small wooden-handled screwdriver that my Dad used. It's great for working in small spaces. I recued it when I was cleaning out my Mom's house. I would have loved to have more of their stuff, but my Mom was always throwing stuff out, even when I asked her to keep things for me. Her nickname for me in childhood was "trash picker", because I was always trying to rescue little trinkets she would discard.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:31 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,860,038 times
I have the desklamp my Grandfather used when he was a manager of an auto-parts store. His "office" was a desk placed under the stairwell to the supply room.

Lamp and fluorescent bulb still work after 50+ years!

Old 11-24-2019, 01:26 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
I use my grandmother’s Revere Ware pots. A quilt she made out of her blouses is on our bed. And, I have many of her plants in my garden. There are more but these are the most special.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:13 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,755,532 times
My dad got real big into wood working, and he started a collection of early Stanley tape measures. For Christmas last year, which was his last Christmas with us, he gave each of us boys a anniversary reissue of these tape measures.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,293,045 times
I have my great grandparent's silverware. It is silver plate, nothing fancy, just everyday silverware from the 1940's. I was lucky enough that my great grandmother lived until I was in my 20's, and I used the silverware quite a bit when having meals in her home.

My grandma (her daughter) gave it to my wife and I on one of our wedding anniversaries. We've had it for several years and have yet to use it at home. The biggest reason is because we are too lazy to hand wash it. I've read several articles that say putting silver plate in the dishwasher is okay as long as it isn't touching stainless, but I'm afraid to try. It is a large set, so I may just test it with a piece or two. I would really like to start using it regularly.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:35 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
My Great Aunt J. was my most influential and admired relative, and she passed in early 2012. I have a lot of her things, and many of them carry stories. But off the top of my head, the one I use the most is my favorite coffee cup. It's a Harrod's London Department Store bone china mug, tall rather than wide, and I love it.

(This is one just like it, I found on Google images: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c2/23...b7c69fcef6.jpg )

I also ended up with a pair of tea mugs that had purple roses on them. Nothing valuable, mass produced, but pretty. And I had a friend and coworker that I used to have long conversations with, and I really liked this woman a lot. I often had thought that my Aunt J. and my coworker friend, would have gotten along so well, and I told the friend stories of my Aunt. My friend had a birthday. She was a collector of tea sets, cups, saucers, and teapots. And her name is Rose, and her favorite color was purple, so I decided to gift her this pair of cups. What she did then, really warmed my heart. She had a relative that she had a loving relationship with, an elderly lady who lived in Scotland. And she shipped one of these cups to her, and kept the other, and then they would have a weekly video chat, between Washington State and Scotland, and have tea together drinking from the matching cups.

I feel pretty sure that Aunt J. would have approved of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships