Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 09:49 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times

Advertisements

I have a shot glass my deceased stepdaughter gave me one Christmas sitting on the bar. And my husband uses a hat of a dear departed friend. I also have my mother’s every day table ware, my Dad’s magnifying glass and my sister’s coffee scoop and makeup bag. These people are gone now but it gives me comfort to use these everyday things that have no material value.

What do you use like these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
I have mom's beautiful, ornately shaped and hand-painted vase imported from Venice and her set of silverware with real Siamese rosewood handles which are kept in the Siamese rosewood and inlaid mother-of-pearl box they came in. Those items were treasured and used daily by my mother and now I treasure them and use them too. I also have a few bits of her imported jewelry that I wear from time to time, and I have a heavy winter jacket of water resistant bison wool that she knit for me nearly 50 years ago.

Of my dad's I kept all of his sturdy old fashioned carpentry and gardening hand tools that he used as a young man and I still use them to this day, and I kept about 100 illustrated history, science, horticultural and nature reference books out of his library. I'd have kept all of his entire library if I could have but there was no place to put all those books so they got divvied up to other people who appreciated their importance and value.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:36 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
I have a crystal etching of a deer from my folks' Sweden trip. A small statue of a boy with a dove. I miss a throw pillow with horses on it my mom sent me one Christmas when I was living in rural Montana (rode my horse to go pick it up from the P.O.) It finally fell apart.

My dad got into wood-working in his later years so the whole extended family has several candlesticks he turned from the local juniper wood---nice scent and all stripey.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:36 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
I have my mom's lemon juicer, the clear glass type with the pouring spout and ring handle. My mom was a fabulous cook, and whenever I get it out, I think of her using it for her wonderful desserts.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
My mother bought antique English stoneware platters for a number of years. I have 11 of these, which I do use. In fact I find them quite useful. They all look slightly beat up, but for 100 year old stoneware, they have held up pretty well. One of my favorites has a network of tan crazing all over it.

I have posted about wearing a diamond that my grandmother wore for decades.

Most of the things I have from my mother were decorative and are not things I would use often, or at all.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:07 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
I have my dad's old canvas jacket, flannel-lined, corduroy collar and cuffs. It's big on me, but I can wear a sweatshirt under it and still have room.

Funny thing is, I had to give it back to my mom when she was recovering from surgery because it was roomy and easy for her to put on. The day we moved her to assisted living, my sister and I were packing up her apartment and out of the corner of my eye I see my sister trying on the jacket. I had to explain to her that it was already my jacket and mom just had it as a loaner. She was disappointed. I'm sure it was a $20 jacket from Kmart. Dad was never one for spending money if it could be avoided.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:25 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
A tortoise shell comb (not decorative, just a functional comb) of my mother's. Not sure it if is real tortoise shell or plastic. There's a tooth missing. Every time I run it through my hair I see her combing hers. Also an ancient, dried up, cut glass bottle of Chanel No. 5. The only scent she ever wore. Usually reserved for special occasions like a fancy dinner out or a party. Those events the kids weren't invited to. However, the kids would have a treat too; being permitted to eat dinner while watching TV. Usually a favorite Swanson's TV dinner on a folding table tray. Which is why even now, when I catch a drift of Chanel No. 5 my mouth starts watering and I immediately taste and smell Swanson's fried chicken. It MUST be Swanson's.

A very early version of a ratcheting screw driver of my dad's with a worn walnut grip. Memories of him teaching me how to use hand tools. Still works better than modern plastic versions. Also a beat up, faded felt fedora. Great "patina". My dad and I used to quarrel (in a friendly way) over who got to wear it in its later years. It is very frail now, but still has a special spot in my closet where it won't get crushed.

There was a kitchen gadget everyone called "the dingler". One of those flexy metal coiled things used to whip/mix scrambled eggs or pancake batter. It had been used so often and so long the tip had worn away to a needle-sharp point. Somewhere along the line some do-gooder, safety-conscious family member bought a replacement. It sat in the drawer unused. Everyone kept grabbing the old one. When my sisters and I cleaned out the family home there was quite a heated debate over who could take the dingler. The new one went to Goodwill.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-23-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-23-2019, 02:58 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times
I have my parents’ beautiful hand knit wool Irish sweaters that are over 45 years old. They wore them constantly, almost as coats, and everyone always complimented them on them.

I still have a mental picture of them walking, hand in hand, up the road in their sweaters amidst the fall foliage. I could not look at them the first few years after they died without tears but now I wear my mother’s, which still has her lovely scent (or do I imagine it?).

Old 11-23-2019, 03:13 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
I love the simple, everyday things because that really captures the person in their real life; and afterall the ordinary things reflect what it was all about most of their time here.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
WorldKlas, thanks so much for posting this touching thread. As I'm reading through the responses I'm mentally picturing the items being described and relating to the nostalgic memorabilia and sentiments expressed about them. So many nice responses and a pleasure to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships