Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 03:15 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times

Advertisements

I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner at a neighbor's house and I accepted.

I was then invited to another neighbor's Thanksgiving dinner, and that invitation I obviously declined citing the previous obligation.

According to etiquette authority, Miss Manners, the only time you can break an engagement for a later invitation is when it is to dine with the President.

At this point, I won't change anything because everyone has been given his RSVPs, but I want your opinions on the situation because there is more to it.

The possible conundrum arises because the person who offered the 2nd invitation is seriously ill, and this might be her last Thanksgiving. In fact in a slightly earlier conversation, we had discussed a Christmas event, but there was concern that might not be possible due to a decline in health (either from treatment or untreatability; the specifics were left unsaid). So while I know the health situation is serious, I do not know for certain that she is nearing the end, be it 3, 6 or 9 months, or several years if things turn out well. Alternatively, it could be that the Thanksgiving event versus Christmas is being driven by a suddenly worsening health situation. I just don't know, and it would be rude to pry.

In your views, would reversing my acceptance of the previously given invitation have been acceptable given the situation? Would knowing for certain have made it acceptable?

I don't think this has an absolute answer, but still, what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 03:24 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner at a neighbor's house and I accepted.

I was then invited to another neighbor's Thanksgiving dinner, and that invitation I obviously declined citing the previous obligation.

According to etiquette authority, Miss Manners, the only time you can break an engagement for a later invitation is when it is to dine with the President.

At this point, I won't change anything because everyone has been given his RSVPs, but I want your opinions on the situation because there is more to it.

The possible conundrum arises because the person who offered the 2nd invitation is seriously ill, and this might be her last Thanksgiving. In fact in a slightly earlier conversation, we had discussed a Christmas event, but there was concern that might not be possible due to a decline in health (either from treatment or untreatability; the specifics were left unsaid). So while I know the health situation is serious, I do not know for certain that she is nearing the end, be it 3, 6 or 9 months, or several years if things turn out well. Alternatively, it could be that the Thanksgiving event versus Christmas is being driven by a suddenly worsening health situation. I just don't know, and it would be rude to pry.

In your views, would reversing my acceptance of the previously given invitation have been acceptable given the situation? Would knowing for certain have made it acceptable?

I don't think this has an absolute answer, but still, what do you all think?
I agree with not changing your plans for the previous engagement...it might upset their meal arrangements. I would also tell the second dinner host I already had other plans, but suggest a visit with them another time soon, maybe offering to bring lunch or a special treat along.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Leave things as they are, attend the first dinner, and go see your other neighbor on another day.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:31 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
If I was the person who first invited you, and you explained to me what you just posted, I would absolutely not mind if you changed your plans. I would probably encourage you to visit with your ailing friend.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:42 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
"Unfortunately, I already have plans for Thanksgiving dinner, but could I come by later in the evening with a pumpkin pie? I'd love to spend some time with you."

Old 11-24-2019, 04:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Leave things as they are, attend the first dinner, and go see your other neighbor on another day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
"Unfortunately, I already have plans for Thanksgiving dinner, but could I come by later in the evening with a pumpkin pie? I'd love to spend some time with you."
These are both good responses.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:52 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I like this, or just take your neighbor out to to eat another day so you'd get one on one time that you won't get on Thanksgiving day.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Are the dinners at the same time? It seems people eat Thanksgiving dinner any time between 2 and 8.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
If I was the person who first invited you, and you explained to me what you just posted, I would absolutely not mind if you changed your plans. I would probably encourage you to visit with your ailing friend.

Yes. Me too.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:55 PM

962 posts, read 613,107 times
"I already have dinner plans for Thanksgiving. How about we meet for lunch on Friday? .

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-25-2019 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships