Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you REALLY feel about Thanksgiving?
More trouble than it's worth, all those annoying relatives and things I have to do 10 8.20%
The good FAR outweighs the negatives, I love it 58 47.54%
meh, somewhere in the middle, I put up with it 26 21.31%
I don't have to deal with any of that 28 22.95%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 09:09 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
This is the way I feel. I like thinking about holidays past without feeling the need to recreate them

and I surprised myself today while talking to a friend by saying that if I never had to cook or eat a traditional T day dinner again it would suit me. Nothing about the meal will be missed by me.
yes - that is how i feel too. My parents are no longer alive. And we used to help mom do the prep work the day before. Her food was so good.

It is just not the same now. So it doesn't bother me to just spend the day in pajamas watching TV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 09:40 PM

23,548 posts, read 24,057,818 times
It’s my favorite holiday. It can be annoying sometimes, but the good outweighs the bad.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
None of the above.

I used to love Thanksgiving, and I did most of it myself. There have been a few years in the last twenty when I did not cook. But I have cooked the big dinner many, many times. I am tired of doing it. I don’t have the energy for it the way I used to. I do have help. DH handles most of the cleanup. I will have some food contributions, so I am not responsible for every morsel of food.

But I am bored and tired of doing this.

And yet I do treasure the time our family spends together.

And, this year, I will be doing some more of this at Christmas.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:37 PM

512 posts, read 321,778 times
Don't care for it.
I never celebrate silly holidays anyway.
While others stress out over food, dinner parties, and racist relatives, I chill at home since it's just another day of the year.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
I love thanksgiving and I love cooking the meal, love having my family around and a kick off to the Christmas season

Old 11-28-2019, 04:10 AM

74 posts, read 113,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
All this kvetching about Thanksgiving woes got me thinking - how do people really feel about the holiday?

I love it. Time off from work, great food, no presents to buy, a chance to instill some gratitude in the teen. Love it.

Almost all of our relatives have died or moved on to new families or areas. We like having our cozy family holiday to ourselves with the child & the pets & the great smells & tastes & time to watch movies or binge watch TV shows.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:54 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Love the idea of it, more often than not I wind up having to work that day so mine are usually a 'makedo' occasion.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:35 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
All this kvetching about Thanksgiving woes got me thinking - how do people really feel about the holiday?
I used to like it many years ago when my grandmother was alive because she was a good cook! I also enjoyed seeing my relatives at that time.

Nowadays, the only good thing about Thanksgiving is that I get a day off work. Aside from that...meh.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
I enjoyed the Thanksgiving festivities when I was a child up to the time I graduated college. The ones spent with my father's sister and all that clan were especially fun. I guess from time to time in my adult life I must have attended TD dinner at someone's home, but I have no solid memories of it.

I do remember going out with a friend two or three times for holiday dinner. That was nice because he was a bright guy, which made conversation interesting. Other than that it was just a day off from work, a chance to go out boozing late the night before and then sleeping in on TD. Then I would get up and read and listen to music.

It had to be a minimum of thirty years, I think, since I have done dinner at someone's home. In my childhood we had a parade through town with a band and a few groups on July 4th down to what was originally a Civil War monument for a speech or two and wreath-laying. And then that stopped happening. Nice memory. Thanksgiving Day is the same, a memory of days gone by.

When past events like this cross my mind, the recollection is pleasant; but I don't actively miss these things nor anything from the past. I am old, my life is the present.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:06 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,343,092 times
My favorite holiday since I'm single and alone. I can cook what I wanna cook and pig out while not feeling guilty.

And Black Friday might be entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships