Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I apologize via Facebook Message to my friend's Mom?
No--my friend's mom will be annoyed 18 72.00%
Doesn't matter--my friend's mom will have no reaction and not care, anyways. 5 20.00%
Yes--my friend's mom would be pleasantly surprised 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What would you say, in your apology?

"I'm sorry I suggested Miriam has asperger's, as I've gotten to know her I realize nothing could be further from the truth".

OR

"I'm sorry I brought up Miriam's Asperger's symptoms to you. Surely you realized she has those characteristics and I didn't need to bring it up, particularly on a first meeting with you".
I don’t think you have to be that detailed. OP can just say “I apologize if I offended you in our conversation last week. I realized I overstepped my bounds and it was not my intention. I hope you can forgive me and we can move past this.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 12:14 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,718,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Two years ago, I met a girl at math class in college--I'll refer to her as Miriam (not her real name). We became friends. I noticed that she acted just like my friends with Asperger's. After a few months, I decided to introduce myself to her mom. I said that I had several friends with Asperger's, and Miriam reminds me of them. I asked if Miriam had Asperger's. After a long awkward silence, and Miriam seeming rather embarrassed, her mom said, "oh, I think she's doing fine," declining to comment any further.
Why is Miriam still friends with you? Had you said something like this about me to my mom in front of me, I'd've shown you the door.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think you have to be that detailed. OP can just say “I apologize if I offended you in our conversation last week. I realized I overstepped my bounds and it was not my intention. I hope you can forgive me and we can move past this.”
Except it wasn't last week. It was two years ago. She may not even remember what conversation the OP is referring to.

I say it's better to let it go.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:37 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Except it wasn't last week. It was two years ago. She may not even remember what conversation the OP is referring to.

I say it's better to let it go.
Yeah two years is a long time.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:16 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
This thread reminds me of the guy who cut the girl’s hair in high school 10 years ago and is still obsessing about it.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:09 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Two years ago, I met a girl at math class in college--I'll refer to her as Miriam (not her real name). We became friends. I noticed that she acted just like my friends with Asperger's. After a few months, I decided to introduce myself to her mom. I said that I had several friends with Asperger's, and Miriam reminds me of them. I asked if Miriam had Asperger's. After a long awkward silence, and Miriam seeming rather embarrassed, her mom said, "oh, I think she's doing fine," declining to comment any further. I also invited Miriam to visit my church (I'm an Evangelical Protestant), after which her mom said they go to Catholic Mass every Sunday, and would have to "discuss this with Miriam." I then asked what her name was. She seemed a bit annoyed, and simply said "Mrs. Smith" (not her real last name).

Thankfully, Miriam quickly forgave me for my faux pas, although she said her mom thought that my questions were rude. She explained that her mom thought my invitation to my church was rude as they believed Catholicism and Evangelical Christianity were basically the same thing. Also, she explained that people our age called her mom Mrs. Smith.

Miriam and I are friends on Facebook. But other than that one encounter with her mom, I haven't met any of her family. Occasionally Miriam's mom posts on Miriam's Facebook.

Should I apologize to her mom in a Facebook message? A facebook message would only be seen by her mom and I. Her mom is not friends with me on Facebook, though. Do you think she would be annoyed with me sending a Facebook message to her as an apology? Or would she not care and have no reaction to it? Or would she be glad that I apologized to her?
Do not put personal issues on Facebook. Catholics do not go to Protestant churches. My children call the older generation Mr or Mrs also. What are you after? Do you want to date a catholic autistic girl? If you have a friend, that’s great, but why are you pushing your church on her?

Old 12-02-2019, 06:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Do not reach out. This happened two years ago. She’’ll definitely think you’re weird to bring it up now. Let it go.
That train has left the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Who says things like that? Why would you decide to introduce yourself to the mom, Miriam would have done that if she wanted you to meet her. Why would you ask her name? She would be Mrs. Smith unless she told you differently! That is basic manners. Asking people to visit your church when they already have a faith is rude and no one thinks Catholics and Evangelicals are the same thing.

I can't believe you thought any of this should have been brought up in conversation with a person you don't know.
Exactly.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Two years ago, I met a girl at math class in college--I'll refer to her as Miriam (not her real name). We became friends. I noticed that she acted just like my friends with Asperger's. After a few months, I decided to introduce myself to her mom. I said that I had several friends with Asperger's, and Miriam reminds me of them. I asked if Miriam had Asperger's. After a long awkward silence, and Miriam seeming rather embarrassed, her mom said, "oh, I think she's doing fine," declining to comment any further. I also invited Miriam to visit my church (I'm an Evangelical Protestant), after which her mom said they go to Catholic Mass every Sunday, and would have to "discuss this with Miriam." I then asked what her name was. She seemed a bit annoyed, and simply said "Mrs. Smith" (not her real last name).

Thankfully, Miriam quickly forgave me for my faux pas, although she said her mom thought that my questions were rude. She explained that her mom thought my invitation to my church was rude as they believed Catholicism and Evangelical Christianity were basically the same thing. Also, she explained that people our age called her mom Mrs. Smith.

Miriam and I are friends on Facebook. But other than that one encounter with her mom, I haven't met any of her family. Occasionally Miriam's mom posts on Miriam's Facebook.

Should I apologize to her mom in a Facebook message? A facebook message would only be seen by her mom and I. Her mom is not friends with me on Facebook, though. Do you think she would be annoyed with me sending a Facebook message to her as an apology? Or would she not care and have no reaction to it? Or would she be glad that I apologized to her?
I just think such followup is unnecessary. You shouldn't need to come crawling to this girl's mother, groveling over perfectly innocuous conversation to which she chose to take offense. IMHO she doesn't deserve it. It is not warranted (and neither was her reaction nor were her ensuing ruffled feathers).

You may be a little OCD about tying up loose ends. But I believe in certain cases, such as this, forgetting is better than forgiving - something which may never truly come at all from this lady.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Do not put personal issues on Facebook. Catholics do not go to Protestant churches. My children call the older generation Mr or Mrs also. What are you after? Do you want to date a catholic autistic girl? If you have a friend, that’s great, but why are you pushing your church on her?
A few answers to your questions:

1. While interning, my supervisors and coworkers (all who were much older than me) would introduce themselves to me by their first name. I thought I was old enough to where I don't have to call someone Mr. or Mrs. except in formal speech/writing.

2. "Catholics do not go to Protestant churches." But if Miriam invited me to come to Catholic mass, I would go, but as an observer, not a worshipper. I wouldn't take part in Catholic communion, for example, because I believe the Lord's supper is purely symbolic.

Miriam's older sister became a Protestant (Presbyterian) and took Miriam to visit her church. So I think the real issue is not resistance to going to a Protestant church but rather Mrs. Smith not knowing me, and therefore not being comfortable with me taking her daughter to church.

3. I'm not interested in dating at all at this moment.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This thread reminds me of the guy who cut the girl’s hair in high school 10 years ago and is still obsessing about it.
Well, you've got to have some good memories, right? Like that one time you shook Kobe Bryant's hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships