Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 11:26 PM

111 posts, read 82,505 times

Advertisements

We don’t do a gift exchange at work. But for the past 2 years since I started at my workplace, I put together a small gift bag for the coworkers on my shift. Last year it was mostly candies, pen, etc in a coffee cup wrapped very nicely. This year I just gave the ladies on my shift a small gift bag with cute items like scented body lotion, scented candle, scented hand sanitizer, cute fuzzy socks in a very pretty bag (I work in a hospital).

I get so disappointed nobody really reciprocates or gives gifts to each other here. I grew up watching my mom give gifts at the office and I am like her. I genuinely enjoy giving people something and making the gift look beautiful (that’s half of the fun), and watching their face light up when they are surprised with an unexpected gift. I know they appreciated it but I wish some people loved giving gifts too! Everyone seems so bah humbug to each other which is sad. But I’m going to love doing it again next year anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 11:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,998 times
25 + years ago we'd have a big extended family secret Santa exchange. This was early 90's and the limit was $75, enough for a good gift.

I had my Grandmothers husband (recent marriage, very sweet man) and got him a Cardigan sweater from Nordstroms, it was well received.

Under the tree was 3 semi large and kinda heavy boxes for me, intriguing!. I opened the 1st box and was shocked! It was a childs building block set. I opened the second box and remained shocked, another set up blocks. Third box? Same!!!
I was a single guy, no kids, lived in a small Seattle apartment. I had no use nor room for this.

An aunt had drawn my name, somehow thought this was fun and would go over well. Not the case at all. Everyone gave her a WTF glare or at least a side-eye.

That was the last of the families Secret Santa exchange.

Last edited by Sockeye66; 12-27-2019 at 12:34 AM..

Old 12-27-2019, 11:39 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaitea View Post
Everyone seems so bah humbug to each other which is sad. But I’m going to love doing it again next year anyway.
Is it bah humbug or has the Holiday Season become so commercial?

Old 01-06-2020, 12:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Why are people so fixated on the gift? I'm just not understanding that - OP stated the basic facts and her/his concern that the person that received such gift may not get anything else. Sadly, like many threads, it became a bashing of the idea of the exchange, demanding to know the gift, etc. - Sad.
Because OP said that the gift was something that "absolutely no one would want"...that it wasn't a "decent" gift...that's why....how can we know that when we don't know what it was????

Sometimes I like things that others don't or might not.

If OP was so terribly concerned that the recipient of this gift might not receive anything else, there's nothing stopping him/her from getting another gift for this person.

It's not sad to want to know just what it is you're supposed to be judging...like a gift....when no-one knows what it is.
OP definitely did not state the most basic fact....which is... what was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships