Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 02:35 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times

Advertisements

This has really bothered me for the last few days.

I lead an organization that always has a gift exchange at our Christmas party. Not a large group and the people always make an effort to buy a decent gift for the exchange. Except this year.

One person, who has been here for years and is far from poor, brought a gift that absolutely no one would want. For some reason they thought it would be funny.

The person that received the gift is the nicest, kindest, do anything for you person there is. She also has no family and there is a good chance that will be the only gift she gets this Christmas. She always spends over the suggested amount and buys something really nice, as most of us do.

I just want to say people should think before they participate in a gift exchange when you don't know who will pick the package you brought. It might not mean much to you, but it may to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 04:15 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
Hated unknown gift exchanges, dirty Santa exchanges, etc.

Most fun was receiving something very small, inexpensive, and unexpected from a coworker. Like a card or piece of candy. Just a thought.

Remember the singing bass or the monkey playing cymbals? These were at Xmas exchanges at our office. Also chocolates and lottery tickets. It happens everywhere. I have also heard complaints about others overspending on these exchanges and it being almost as stressful as the whole holiday. Cannot please everyone and maybe this was how they show it?

Old 12-22-2019, 05:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
What was the gift that person bought?

How do you know it was him? Not a "secret" Santa exchange? Was it a White Elephant exchange (meant to be a joke)?

Need more info please.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:39 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
I see no point in these "forced" gift exchanges. We are all grown ups and can buy our own crap. Not getting a warm feeling because some acquaintance bought me a Yankee Candle or whatever.

Sounds like the person thought your gift exchange was going to be a Dirty Santa kind of event.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I see no point in these "forced" gift exchanges. We are all grown ups and can buy our own crap. Not getting a warm feeling because some acquaintance bought me a Yankee Candle or whatever.

Sounds like the person thought your gift exchange was going to be a Dirty Santa kind of event.
It wasn't forced. Everyone doesn't participate. The person participated in previous years and knew what it was. I think I was clear enough in my post to avoid this type of reply.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post

How do you know it was him? Not a "secret" Santa exchange? Was it a White Elephant exchange (meant to be a joke)?

Need more info please.
Did you read my post? It was never a white elephant exchange, it has been going on for years, that person participated many times, people always bought nice things, no one is forced to participate.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Hated unknown gift exchanges, dirty Santa exchanges, etc.

Most fun was receiving something very small, inexpensive, and unexpected from a coworker. Like a card or piece of candy. Just a thought.

Remember the singing bass or the monkey playing cymbals? These were at Xmas exchanges at our office. Also chocolates and lottery tickets. It happens everywhere. I have also heard complaints about others overspending on these exchanges and it being almost as stressful as the whole holiday. Cannot please everyone and maybe this was how they show it?
Then don't participate. Ours is optional.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:18 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Yes, please tell us the gift!

The worst gift I've seen given at office Yankee Swaps was a piece of wood with a face. Pretty sure the guy just took a log from his woodpile and carved out a face into it. It did not look good. I could tell the person who received the gift didn't like it.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I don't understand why it's optional, especially in a small organization.

What if only one person shows up with a gift one year? It seems like the practice should be required for all or eliminated altogether.

At any rate, as for the joke gift, it does seem like a bad risk to deviate from the usual without clearing it with others. That's the thing about jokes - not everyone shares the same sense of humor.

Do you open the gifts in front of the group?

Old 12-22-2019, 07:13 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,005 times
What was the gift? Come on, spill it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships