Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:36 PM

76 posts, read 63,007 times

Advertisements

For example. I can think of at least 7 times we have gone to dinner and had to move tables because she didn’t like where we were seated. To close to the kitchen, a draft, to hot, doesn’t like a high top table etc. sometimes there are several people and her husband will ask if we can move and then we all have to pick up our drinks (if we had gotten there first and then she got and didn’t like the table) and move. Then many times she will complain about the wait staff. Will be rude to them if they don’t bring something right away. If her check has someone else’s appetizer on it she will get angry instead of just asking them nicely to fix it. I don’t understand how she doesn’t realize how she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 05:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Stop going to restaurants with her? And if she eventually asks why you no longer go with her, tell her.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:58 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Speak up about it or stop going out with her. Problem solved.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:50 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,873,466 times
If this has happened seven times, that's six times too many.

Tell them you're perfectly happy with the table and if they want to move, let 'em move. You're staying there.

She does this because she gets away with it. It's passive-aggressive behavior and puts her "in charge". She gets a charge out of being in charge.

Put a stop to it.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Jennifer, in general, is she actually right? Despite her demeanor, is there really a much better table, or the service is slow, etc?

I ask, because my husband is kind of like that, and he's right. But he's not rude, he'll just say can we have that table over there, or goes to alert wait staff that we've all been sitting there for 30 minutes and no one has come take drink orders, or everyone's entree has arrived and is cooling while one person's hasn't been delivered, and it's been 10 minutes.

If she just wasn't rude about it, it's great to have someone along who will ask for the best dining experience. And yes, that window booth over there in the corner is way better than this well-lit table right in front of the bathroom or by the drafty front door.

(On the other hand, I had an elderly aunt who could NOT be made happy, and she made everyone's experience miserable, so I do get that angle.)

Old 12-22-2019, 07:40 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Talk to her about it and if it continues stop going out to eat with her. Life is to short for all that drama.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:02 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Jennifer, in general, is she actually right? Despite her demeanor, is there really a much better table, or the service is slow, etc?

I ask, because my husband is kind of like that, and he's right. But he's not rude, he'll just say can we have that table over there, or goes to alert wait staff that we've all been sitting there for 30 minutes and no one has come take drink orders, or everyone's entree has arrived and is cooling while one person's hasn't been delivered, and it's been 10 minutes.

If she just wasn't rude about it, it's great to have someone along who will ask for the best dining experience. And yes, that window booth over there in the corner is way better than this well-lit table right in front of the bathroom or by the drafty front door.

(On the other hand, I had an elderly aunt who could NOT be made happy, and she made everyone's experience miserable, so I do get that angle.)
I think demeanor is important. However, if I get a terrible table and there are numerous other (better) tables available, I am not going to sit right next to the toilet or in a super noisy/drafty table just to be polite. If the restaurant is packed, that’s a different story.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
If this has happened seven times, that's six times too many.

Tell them you're perfectly happy with the table and if they want to move, let 'em move. You're staying there.

She does this because she gets away with it. It's passive-aggressive behavior and puts her "in charge". She gets a charge out of being in charge.

Put a stop to it.

^^^^^^^this.

Only thing I would add is if this doesn't work than stop going out to restaurants with her.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
If it happens all the time, it's not the tables, it's her. Does this happen about other things, as well?

I agree that based on this she sounds like she likes to be/needs to be "in charge" and feels entitled to be so, and as long as she is catered to this behavior will continue.

If they arrive after everyone else next time, agree that you are all going to stay at the table you are at. See if that has any effect.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
I often have issues with the tables offered and will politely ask for the one I want - has never been a problem, and have never been refused. Some people just have keener awareness of an optimum dining experience.

Rudeness is an entirely different issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships