Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 09:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times

Advertisements

Mom and Dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 11:18 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
I called them "Mom" and "Dad." In high school a lot of the boys called their parents by their given first name and that always seemed like a sign of disrespect to me. Or certainly of a distance.

When we had children we switched to calling them by the names they wanted the grandkids to use. Mom wanted to go by bestemor, Norwegian for grandmother. We shortened it to Bestie. Dad was Grandpa but in the early years, since the kids couldn't say it, we called him "Boppa." Heh.

A long time male friend always called his father by his first name but until the day she died he called his mother, "Mother." That was so tender. The way he said it almost made it sound holy.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:34 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,873,466 times
My granddaughter was driving her 3-year-old to get ice-cream when she started yelling "Lissa! Lissa! Lissa! Lissa!"

My granddaughter said calmly, "I don't know what little girl is in the backseat, because MY little girl wouldn't call me by my first name. It must be a strange little girl sitting back there and I don't buy ice cream for little girls I don't know."

Dead silence for a moment and then, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!"

Old 01-26-2020, 02:52 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,552 times
Being mostly English, I called my parents mum and dad, although probably when I was very young I may have said something like, “When will mummy be home dad?”
We don’t use mom over here, but in the Midlands and North you’ll hear mam instead of mum sometimes.
What drives me nuts is hearing my 60 y.o. wife and her 61 y.o. brother talk about their parents, and calling them mummy and daddy.
Ditto my nieces and nephew, ranging from 38 to 42, calling their parents mummy and daddy, (when they’re talking about them), to their faces it’ll be mum and dad.
When I was a teenager, the guys I hung with called one another by their initials, Tony was T, Dave was D, I was Jay, or Frenchie, but my dad, eager to be down with the kids, called me Jay-Eff.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:46 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I see nothing strange about mummy and daddy, however I always called my mother mam.
No , not Irish. From the northeast of England

Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I see nothing strange about mummy and daddy, however I always called my mother mam.
Do you not think it’s just a tad strange to hear someone, 40, 50, or 60 refer to their parents as mummy and/or daddy?
It’s not a bad thing if you say mummy or daddy, I’m not the parent name police, but it doesn’t seem quite right to me.
Of course, I’ve come to expect it anywhere south of Maryland, but it sounds okay in Dixie.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,572,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Mom and Dad. I live in NC now for 20 years and they all say Daddy, "tell your Daddy I said hey", I say "I'll tell my Dad, you said hi". it really bugs me when I hear adults saying Daddy. I suppose it's geographical.
Not sure where in NC you live.

I grew up in Charlotte and it would turn my stomach to hear an adult refer to their parents as "Mommy and Daddy". Yuck.

It is NOT common in my world, thankfully.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Do you not think it’s just a tad strange to hear someone, 40, 50, or 60 refer to their parents as mummy and/or daddy?
It’s not a bad thing if you say mummy or daddy, I’m not the parent name police, but it doesn’t seem quite right to me.
Of course, I’ve come to expect it anywhere south of Maryland, but it sounds okay in Dixie.
No. It has never occurred to me to find how others choose to call their parents strange. Families have pet names and ways of calling parents that is cultural, and so it just doesn’t sound strange to me.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:26 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Lately I've been reading books set on the east coast with very wealthy families and the adult children address their parents as "Daddy" and "Mama" or even "Mommy" sometimes.

DH and I had affluent parents and agree we quit that baby talk as young children.

It was "Dad" and "Mom" from then on. No Sir or Ma'am either. He is from NYC suburb and I'm from So Cal.

What about you?
English us not our furst language, but still me and my kids use daddy only.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:47 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
When answering it's ma'am or sir.
When talking TO them it's mom or dad.
When talking ABOUT them it's mother or dad.
When my adult son is feeling especially affectionate or sentimental he will call me momma instead of the usual mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships