Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 02:42 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think the more realistic question is "who hasn't experienced fraud or theft from a friend or relative?"

Not many and only those who have lead an extremely sheltered life.
Uh, no...Unless one wants to count food in the fridge.

Possibly by a roommate but he wasn't a friend.

I've been stiffed by acquaintances once or twice. Never anything that amounts to fraud or theft.

Another housemate was extremely late on all bills and eventually rent and I covered his part of the rent for two months (though he was out in a month and a half.) He was a bit of a lowlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 03:11 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
I think the more realistic question is "who hasn't experienced fraud or theft from a friend or relative?"

Guess I've been sheltered. AFAIK I've never been financially victimized by family or friends. Is it possible that someone didn't pay me back for some long ago candy bar or burger? Sure. Several clothing items of mine did go missing from a family home once, but the likely thief wasn't a family member, it was a temporary caregiver.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:41 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
When my wife was living at home, her two younger sisters would steal money from her room while she was at work. That these two grew up to be flaming liberals should surprise no one.
Why? Just why?

This must be a really hard way to go through life.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Yup. I was going in to the military and had to sell my car. My sister offered to help me sell it since I was running around doing things to get ready to go. I put an ad in the paper (35 years ago) and had buyers contact her.

The car was sold for $1500. When I got to the house to pick up the money, her husband was there and handed me the envelope. It had $1,000 in it. I asked where the rest was and he said they took a “fee” and told me to get out of the house. The police said it was a civil matter and wouldn’t get involved.

We never had the best relationship anyways so i should have known better. This was the last straw for me and I cut off all contact. She just started emailing me about a year ago and I responded.

I’ll keep in contact by email, but she doesn’t have my cell number or address and never will. The sad part is that I think she’s 70 or 71. I honestly don’t remember how old she is and I really don’t care.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
The home computer is a powerful tool for good or evil
I am fortunate no roommate no relatives in house

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-27-2020 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I haven't had any but My friend in college told me how here closest female friend stole €3000 from her. She was a dummy when it came to computers so her friend offered to help her out being a computer whiz. Turns out she was a wolf in sheeps clothing.

The friend installed a keylogger on her laptop which recorded keystrokes and essentially every username/password she had for PayPal, Hotmail, her bank account, etc... The friend who was originally from the DRC waited until she had an upcoming trip with her friend cause she wanted to be out of the country to evade capture and also prevent her from accessing the internet/phone and seeing the transaction.

Basically she stayed back after the trip while unbeknownst to my friend, she came back home to find her PayPal was drained to an African account. She contacted the lady but she never responded and PayPal said they couldn't help her.

Anyone have something like this?
Yes. My nephew. Jewelry theft. Took a long long time to forgive. Will never forget though.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:30 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Oh yes. Has affected my whole life. Back in the 80s my ex and I formed a partnership with an older couple who owned the vacant lot between us. We had finished our own house by ourselves so the deal was, we would do the labor and they'd fund the project which would be sold and the profits split equally.

Over halfway through, the wife decided she wanted it customized for herself. That was not the original deal so we got out and asked to be paid for what we had finished.

They sued us instead. We counter sued but our lousy lawyer ran off to the Gulf War so we lost. Never got paid plus had a large judgement against us for 20 years and a false accusation of theft with a warrant out.

Later we discovered this couple was known for various con schemes.

I could have alot more in my retirement account right now. And that's just Chapter 1...

Old 01-28-2020, 06:56 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Many of these stories I consider "taken advantage of or just helping out a relative" - No fraud!
Well, mine definitely was fraud as it included forgery of my name on an official government document.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:

I don't think that I have had a "sheltered life", but I can't recall any fraud or theft from anyone.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:16 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
my dad forced me to withdraw hundreds of dollars from the ATM so he could buy sporting goods and he never paid me back.He was going to kick me out and make me homeless if i didnt withdraw the money for him from my account.Also, my parents took away a gift that was thousands of dollars that was given to me by grandparents.
Is there more to this story? How old were you? Did you pay rent etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships