Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 10:32 AM

89 posts, read 94,081 times

Advertisements

I haven't had any but My friend in college told me how here closest female friend stole €3000 from her. She was a dummy when it came to computers so her friend offered to help her out being a computer whiz. Turns out she was a wolf in sheeps clothing.

The friend installed a keylogger on her laptop which recorded keystrokes and essentially every username/password she had for PayPal, Hotmail, her bank account, etc... The friend who was originally from the DRC waited until she had an upcoming trip with her friend cause she wanted to be out of the country to evade capture and also prevent her from accessing the internet/phone and seeing the transaction.

Basically she stayed back after the trip while unbeknownst to my friend, she came back home to find her PayPal was drained to an African account. She contacted the lady but she never responded and PayPal said they couldn't help her.

Anyone have something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 11:19 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I haven't had any but My friend in college told me how here closest female friend stole €3000 from her. She was a dummy when it came to computers so her friend offered to help her out being a computer whiz. Turns out she was a wolf in sheeps clothing.

The friend installed a keylogger on her laptop which recorded keystrokes and essentially every username/password she had for PayPal, Hotmail, her bank account, etc... The friend who was originally from the DRC waited until she had an upcoming trip with her friend cause she wanted to be out of the country to evade capture and also prevent her from accessing the internet/phone and seeing the transaction.

Basically she stayed back after the trip while unbeknownst to my friend, she came back home to find her PayPal was drained to an African account. She contacted the lady but she never responded and PayPal said they couldn't help her.

Anyone have something like this?
my dad forced me to withdraw hundreds of dollars from the ATM so he could buy sporting goods and he never paid me back.He was going to kick me out and make me homeless if i didnt withdraw the money for him from my account.Also, my parents took away a gift that was thousands of dollars that was given to me by grandparents.

Last edited by C24L; 01-27-2020 at 12:20 AM..

Old 01-26-2020, 11:33 PM

73 posts, read 31,317 times
Fraud? yeah by my sister.

In my depression stage during my suicidal stint and feeling in the dumps my sister got me to pay her cable bill online (she lives in different province) saying she can't afford it and will pay me back which she never did and tried getting me to pay for more of her bills so she didn't have to.

W
T
F
!

Yeah, it was my fault and me being at the lowest point of my life but damn! not talked to her in a few years, not got a text from her and not bothered to reach out.

Also loaned an ex friend some money when he had nothing and nobody helping him, it wasn't much but he got a high paying job and decided he has no idea what I was talking about, that I never gave him money and he doesn't owe me anything. Not talked to him since.

Also another story with another ex friend but a LOT of money in a bad time, but rather not pay me back and has more important things to pay for which are really not even important.

My heart goes into the right place but I always come out getting it ripped out of me. Nobody is worth loaning money to. It's not about the money though, I was THERE for them when they needed me and nobody else gave a damn and I feel like such a chump. People constantly tell me I have such a good heart, I am such a great friend but yeah...I am a chump indeed. I hate this world we live in.

Last edited by Patrick8432; 01-26-2020 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 07:36 AM

586 posts, read 314,748 times
When my wife was living at home, her two younger sisters would steal money from her room while she was at work. That these two grew up to be flaming liberals should surprise no one.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:08 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I think the more realistic question is "who hasn't experienced fraud or theft from a friend or relative?"

Not many and only those who have lead an extremely sheltered life.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think the more realistic question is "who hasn't experienced fraud or theft from a friend or relative?"

This is sad.

I've not experienced it personally... yet... but I've seen other family members (cousins, in-laws) that have been affected by it.

My husband and I are reserved and live apart from family. It has it's pros and cons... not getting ripped up by a sibling or a cousin is certainly one of the pros!

Old 01-27-2020, 11:26 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Yes. It was particular egregious since it was my stepson and done very shortly after my late husband's death when I was emotionally vulnerable and stressed. However, I had a legal way of getting recompense and I took it. I've never spoken to him since though and still wouldn't if I saw him in public.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:

I was going to say, "But that's never happened to me..."

But then I remembered the ex who tried to sell my car behind my back.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:50 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Many of these stories I consider "taken advantage of or just helping out a relative" - No fraud!

Old 01-27-2020, 01:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:

Not sheltered at all here, I work with the poor and homeless. And I do deal with theft at work, regularly. But personally, I can't remember ever being a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships