Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 08:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Good ideas.

She is puzzling. She is extremely nice and kind and pleasant and easy going and then these nuclear bombs fall out of nowhere. I don't think its deliberate. She just doesn't seem to have any recognition at all how they affect other people.
Not that puzzling, and she most likely knows what she is doing.

Sounds like classic narcissistic behavior. They do this on purpose for attention, because even negative attention is still attention. Other people's feelings don't matter.

I would drop her, you weren't clear on your relationship. But even if this was a relative I would limit contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 10:35 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,294,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You ever heard of the term 'scatterbrain"?
I have people in my life like this and I usually explode in anger and give a barrage of insults.
When I'm done with my temper tantrum I then tell them that I love them & to please not do that again.
What happens?
They do it again as if their logic and mind had been sucked out of their ears.

I'm afraid that's the situation we have here. I think she's a scatterbrain and just doesn't get it.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not that puzzling, and she most likely knows what she is doing.

Sounds like classic narcissistic behavior. They do this on purpose for attention, because even negative attention is still attention. Other people's feelings don't matter.

I would drop her, you weren't clear on your relationship. But even if this was a relative I would limit contact.
She is not even remotely narcissistic. I think that word is grossly overused today whenever people do something that other people don't like or understand. She's a very kind, thoughtful and considerate person for the most part. There are simply some inexplicably large cracks in that overall tendency.

Since our relationship is partially monetary it gives the impression of her being willing to do anything for a buck, whether she is being intentionally deceptive or not. I can compare it to the car salesman or even a private seller who sells you a lemon and has no qualms whatsoever about it because they made clear the car is being sold as is, with no warranty.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Now that you are AWARE of this person's issues with reliability, lack of full disclosure, etc, it is ON YOU to make sure that you take that knowledge into account before relying on anything she's said (or not said). I'm talking about living by the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on ME". If you know she springs stuff on you at the last minute, you now are going to have to be pro-active and grill her about details beforehand, and impress upon her that changes will not be acceptable, or which changes are and are not acceptable.

As an example, friend A was planning on accompanying friend B on a big trip to celebrate B's daughter's birthday. Just before friend A bought her airline ticket, she asked friend B again about the trip specifics and friend B springs on her that truly obnoxious friend C will now be going also, and "Oh by the way, can C split a room with you because daughter and I will be splitting our room?". Friend A ends up backing out of the trip, because a 5 day trip sharing a room with C is totally unacceptable. This is being pro-active and nailing down the specifics before committing to a non-refundable ticket, or being stuck in a room for 5 days with a jerk.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Now that you are AWARE of this person's issues with reliability, lack of full disclosure, etc, it is ON YOU to make sure that you take that knowledge into account before relying on anything she's said (or not said). I'm talking about living by the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on ME". If you know she springs stuff on you at the last minute, you now are going to have to be pro-active and grill her about details beforehand, and impress upon her that changes will not be acceptable, or which changes are and are not acceptable.

I agree. And I would just walk away before being shamed again if I didn't want what they can provide. Its very desirable to me, if I know exactly what it entails WELL BEFOREHAND.

Quote:
As an example, friend A was planning on accompanying friend B on a big trip to celebrate B's daughter's birthday. Just before friend A bought her airline ticket, she asked friend B again about the trip specifics and friend B springs on her that truly obnoxious friend C will now be going also, and "Oh by the way, can C split a room with you because daughter and I will be splitting our room?". Friend A ends up backing out of the trip, because a 5 day trip sharing a room with C is totally unacceptable. This is being pro-active and nailing down the specifics before committing to a non-refundable ticket, or being stuck in a room for 5 days with a jerk.

That's great analogy of what happened here, except it involves a lot longer than 5 days.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:42 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I agree. And I would just walk away before being shamed again if I didn't want what they can provide. Its very desirable to me, if I know exactly what it entails WELL BEFOREHAND.

That's great analogy of what happened here, except it involves a lot longer than 5 days.
roommate?

Old 02-02-2020, 01:07 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
What's up with the guessing games?

Old 02-02-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What's up with the guessing games?

People are playing it of their own volition. I can't stop it. I don't go into specific details on the internet. I will only say that they are a principle player in a very desirable housing situation.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:09 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,604 times
I think you need to approach your problem from the standpoint of: what is your goal? And work backwards from there.

Is your goal to somehow give her her comeuppance or just deserts or punish her?

Or

Is your goal to protect yourself, and perhaps your financial situation?

In the latter case, you may want to ask yourself questions like: how do I set boundaries with her in a way that achieves my goal? And then keep it professional, and not personal. Keep it oriented towards the end goal.

I say this because if you're coming up with solutions and judging those solutions by whether they're "too nice" or not, you may be looking at it too personally, and need to back up and decide what is the end result that you're aiming for here: to protect your interests, or to "get back at her"?

Old 02-02-2020, 04:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Personally, I would have a meeting with them just for that purpose. Be firm and direct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships