Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 03:15 PM

654 posts, read 364,514 times

Advertisements

Of the people in our world:

1. Co-workers: they want work from you, and income.
2. Significant others, children and sometimes parents: they want financial and other support from you.
3. People at church: they want donations and volunteer hours from you.
4. Others: typically they want something from you- career benefits, money, something.

Even our pets want rubs, walks, food, etc. from us.

How many people are you close to who don't want anything at all from you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 03:28 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Just about all of them.

Can't recall any of my surviving relatives wanting anything from me for years. They don't fish around or ask for anything. Except maybe a note or silly stocking stuffer gift at Christmas. I appreciate the same sorts of things from them.

My few friends are not in the habit of wanting things from me other than a bit of time or attention once in a while. And don't forget, that's a two way street. What's wrong with it? I don't see it as a burden or something to be suspicious about. That leads to cynicism and paranoia. Nothin' too good there.

Sure, when I was working my coworkers usually needed/wanted something from me. What's the problem? Work is usually a cooperative effort toward some common goal.

I have a volunteer job now. Obviously they want something from me and I'm perfectly happy to give it. Sort of the definition of volunteering.

Sounds as if you are speculating about how to disconnect from everyone else because everyone has some ulterior motive. It seems to be a theme in your threads. How ill used you have been by others.

Enjoy that lonely mountaintop.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-17-2020 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-17-2020, 03:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
100%. You have a pretty pessimistic view of people. Sure, my job expects me to work in exchange for my salary, but that makes sense to me, I expect as much from the people I hire to work around my house.

My mother would like to hear from me regularly, but that isn't a hardship.

I've never allowed myself to be used, and I don't feel I have been.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:06 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,951 times
I agree with Parnassia. We're all in symbiotic relationships, for the most part.

Enjoy your lonely mountaintop.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:25 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Of the people in our world:

1. Co-workers: they want work from you, and income.
2. Significant others, children and sometimes parents: they want financial and other support from you.
3. People at church: they want donations and volunteer hours from you.
4. Others: typically they want something from you- career benefits, money, something.

Even our pets want rubs, walks, food, etc. from us.

How many people are you close to who don't want anything at all from you?
1. My employers and coworkers have the right to expect certain things from me and in exchange for a steady income and a healthy work environment, I gladly give up a portion of my available time and energy. I'm furloughed right now and am grateful that I seem to have retained my position.

2. Outside of one incident when I was young and was in the early stages of gaining wisdom have I ever been asked for financial support of any kind from a family member or significant other. Love, attention, other intangibles, and yes, money, I've glad given and received from the same as there's a symbiosis in a healthy interpersonal relationship.

3. People at church? See above. Might be time for you to choose another church if you've had such negative experiences with your own, assuming, of course, that you're speaking from personal experience(s).

4. Others? Meh. I like my friends,acquaintances, neighbors, and community as a rule. I don't tolerate "users," so what you speak of is a non-issue for me. I do kindnesses for others as I can. By my estimation, I've gotten more from others over the years than I've given if I count every small kindness that I've been granted by others as a whole. I do my best to "repay the universe" whenever I can't repay others who have been good time me in kind. Pay it forward is all I ask when I've done for others. It's a good way to try to live.

Pets? Well, by taking on the responsibility and pleasures of having a pet, one takes on their needs. Don't want to give those things to a creature? Choose to not take a pet into your home and life as they depend upon you.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:24 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
How many more threads about the outstanding loan?

Old 04-17-2020, 06:58 PM

272 posts, read 131,049 times
Everyone, everything, wants, needs something. So do you, OP. There is nothing wrong with that.

1. My boss doesn't give me a paycheck. I earn it what I get paid. Give and take on all sides.

2. I have little to no contact with my biological family and that is a choice they make, too. My friends are more family to me than friends. My cats depend upon me. I adopted them and they have adopted me. What I get back is not tangible, but I get plenty in return for what I give. Give and take on all sides.

3. I don't go to church. People scare me. I know what people are capable of. I still worship God and I work as a nurse and volunteer at a shelter. Give and take on all sides, though I get the better end of the deal.

4. Yes, other people want what I have to give. They have whatever it is I need. Merchants and suppliers I deal with want my money in exchange for goods and services they provide me. In turn these people who deal in what I need use the profit earned from me to buy supplies and employ other people, provide profit to their stake holders. These relationships are give and take on all sides.

Life is give and take. There has to be balance though. OP, is there something that you want to change in your life?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:31 PM

654 posts, read 364,514 times
Thanks, everyone. This is not about the outstanding loan. That person is never getting anything from me ever again other than maybe a court filing.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
You can tell a lot about a person by the titles of the threads they start.

Is there anyone who doesn't want something from you?
What's the biggest garbage you've put up with in a volunteer job?
Why are some church members more valuable than others?
If you're humiliated or embarrassed in front others, do you care?
How much animosity is there between people in your church?
Is it good faith and transparent to sign an agreement and not end up following it?
Aging parents demand extended visit, but demand quarantine in small part of house: worth visiting?
Would you like someone else adding you (without your knowledge) to his/her church's prayer list

OP, it seems like you approach every situation focusing on who 'done you wrong'. A serious suggestion here ... you may want to consider finding a counselor who can help you with some self-reflection to understand why you view yourself as the victim in so many situations.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Is there anyone who doesn't want something from you?

Everybody wants something from somebody else. NOBODY is exempt.

OP, even you want something from other people and you demonstrate that every time you start a new thread. Do you know what that something is?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships