Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 07:21 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,318,378 times

Advertisements

Some people won't take it seriously until it happens within their close ranks. Period. Nothing you can do about that except try not to emulate it.

This is a time when less interaction is better, so just close your blinds and let it happen.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:26 AM

10,112 posts, read 6,465,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Where in my OP did I state or insinuate calling the cops for people not socially distancing?

Hopefully someone with a background in psychology will weigh in on whether people have an implicit positive bias toward people they know when deciding whether or not to social distance.
I don't have a background in psychology. I will say that I think the other posters jumped on you without thinking about your actual question. Yes, I believe that in neighborhoods where people have known each other for some time, there may well be an implicit bias that their neighbors are "safe" and therefore proper social distancing is not required when communicating with them. Of course, this belief is entirely without substance, but emotion overrules reason for a great many people. I'm lucky that my neighborhood has a lot of much older people in it, many of whom I haven't even seen for some weeks. The others I talk to across the street quite amicably and sensibly. However, I do see groups of very young people sauntering down the street in very close contact. I just figure they're young and think they're indestructible. Whatever.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:30 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,318,378 times
Quote:
Hopefully someone with a background in psychology will weigh in on whether people have an implicit positive bias toward people they know when deciding whether or not to social distance.
Also, of course, people DO have an implicit positive bias toward people they know or think they know. I can remember back to a time (decades ago) when I visited a certain church with friends of ours who were members. They took communion and the whole congregation drank from the same chalice. I questioned that with them and the answer was, "Well, it's just US," meaning it's not other people, or it's not anyone and everyone, it's just us in our little familiar circle.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:31 AM

19,709 posts, read 12,284,395 times
Quote:
I can look out my window and see a plethora of neighbors and few are practicing social distancing when they encounter one another passing by on a walk. In fact, they talk very close to one another physically, as if there is no virus pandemic. Do people inherently trust people they know socially and assume they are negative for the virus? Is this a form of implicit bias?
Yes it's a snob thing. And they are idiots.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:
I can look out my window and see a plethora of neighbors and few are practicing social distancing when they encounter one another passing by on a walk. In fact, they talk very close to one another physically, as if there is no virus pandemic. Do people inherently trust people they know socially and assume they are negative for the virus? Is this a form of implicit bias?
Yikes! Apparently you can't ask a simple question without being maligned for it.

I think some people are not taking this seriously either because they believe they're not going to get it (some young people think it's an old person only concern) and others are just not keeping up with the news. I'm not sure that they trust those they know as much as they aren't buying into the concerns most people have.

My neighbors are pretty much wide-circling everyone when they're out.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:51 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,149,468 times
I believe Americans have a particularly independent attitude about rights and following the rules compared to other countries and I wonder if it's because we don't have a true national identity. Instead the "I will do what I want to do" attitude reigns supreme, so many won't change their behavior until the virus actually affects them personally.

I have hunkered down for three weeks, and only go out with an N95 mask (got a long time ago). It's tough to see others practicing no social distancing when you are sacrificing for the sake of the common good. It's human nature to want to do something about the rule breakers.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:56 AM

4,242 posts, read 949,939 times
It is really disturbing to me the way that people responded so rudely to your post in which you simply wondered about potential motivations for human behavior.

It makes me wonder why people felt so defensive when they read your post that they had to respond in such a manner.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
It is really disturbing to me the way that people responded so rudely to your post in which you simply wondered about potential motivations for human behavior.

It makes me wonder why people felt so defensive when they read your post that they had to respond in such a manner.
Yeah, I thought the same. Talk about going from 0 - 100 in a matter of seconds.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 AM

24,678 posts, read 11,011,123 times
First you complain about your neighbors not being what you consider neighborly now you complain about them being neighborly. Let's make our minds up.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Exactly. Everyone has become the self-appointed coronavirus police.

OP, you can't control anyone but yourself. There's nothing to be gained by concerning yourself with the actions of others.

That is an idiotic and dangerous statement (though there are apparently a lot of idiots on this thread).

In a pandemic, anti-social and dangerous behavior that will make things last longer and endanger others IS everyone's business. It's no problem if the danger is only to the one engaging in the behavior, but when it risks the health and lives of others, it is no different than randomly shooting into a crowd.

One thing that comes out of this is that the intelligence/emotional maturity of her neighbors is on display for all the world to see, and she knows this about them going forward in future. As we do about those here who say to ignore the behavior and scold the OP for being concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.